Lian Li PC-S80 / 8800GTX silent system

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

echn111

Lian Li PC-S80 / 8800GTX silent system

Post by echn111 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:14 pm

I recently redid my system, replacing my 680i motherboard with one of the newer P35 boards and changing my watercooling system. My objective was a powerful but silent system. Here's an overview:

1. Here's a shot from the front of the case with the inner and outer walls of one side removed (more on this later):

2. Here's a pic from the back. The unique thing about the Lian-Li PC-S80 case is each side has "two" walls. This serves two purposes. Firstly, it sucks in cool, fresh air from the grills on the side (you can see one here) and allows it to travel between the inner and outer walls through to the front where it is then pumped into the case. Secondly, it keeps out sound more effectively than one wall.

You can also see the sound muffler at the back. You can't see it from this pic, but on the inside, the sound muffler is covered in sound absorbing material. A big weakness of the Antec P180 series is that the rear and top fans are not baffled. The Lian-Li PC-S80 handles this.

3. Here's the inside of the PC. Cool air is sucked in from the grills on the side and pushed through the radiator by twin 120mm fans. This has two purposes. It's traditional purpose has been to provide air flow to keep the components relatively cool. The airflow, although limited, is sufficient to keep the memory modules and the massive passive cooler that comes with the Gigabyte P35-DQ6 motherboard reasonably cool even when overclocked. Secondly, it cools the radiator to keep the watercooling system working, directly cooling the CPU and the grahics card.

4. Here is a close up of the loop. Kept it nice and simple with only a T-line to act as reservoir. Went with a T-Line as it saves space and is more efficient. I'm keeping the Laing D5 Vario pump running at a setting of 3 which makes it inaudible outside the case except for the vibrations. To completely take care of the vibrations, just underneath the pump is a petra gel pad that absorbs vibrations. That then sits on top of additional sound dampening material.

In terms of sound, if move close to the PC and listen very carefully, I can tell the PC is turned on so it's not "completely" silent but, to many, it's quiet enough to qualify as a silent PC. The good thing about such a setup is whether I overclock it or undervolt my system, the noise output remains low.

I'm able to overclock and run my system stably and continously at 3.6Ghz, which is a high overclock to maintain indefinitely. However as my system is on 24/7 and I don't want a massive electical bill, I keep my system mildly overclocked to just above 3Ghz while "undervolting" my PC to below stock voltages "and" underclocking the 2D mode of my graphics card.
Last edited by echn111 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:39 pm

hey can can you take more pics of how the sides work and a pic showing the the back thing works

thanks

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:04 pm

PopCorn wrote:hey can can you take more pics of how the sides work and a pic showing the the back thing works

thanks
Sure.

1. Here is one side with the outer wall detached and the inner wall still attached. Air gets sucked in from the grill and travels between the inner and outer walls and through the front vent where it then gets blown into the case. There is a push-pull effect between the fans in front and the exhaust fans at the back.

2A. Here is the rear of the system with the exhaust fans and the PSU fans completely unbaffled (and therefore noisy). Note the sound absorbing material over the exhaust muffler.

2B. Here is the rear of the system but with the exhaust fans baffled. It hinders airflow slightly but it keeps the sound down whic is what I want. Lack of an effective fan muffler to keep noise down is one reason why my P180, while quite a good case in it's own right, is sitting in a corner unused.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Wow! thats a really nice setup. The muffler is a neat idea, and it looks like a silent setup to me. Looking at the pictures, is the rear fan grill detachable? Joe

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:47 pm

joe123 wrote:Wow! thats a really nice setup. The muffler is a neat idea, and it looks like a silent setup to me. Looking at the pictures, is the rear fan grill detachable? Joe
Never really thought about the rear fan grill. But now that you bring it up, it does appear to restrict airflow for no gain whatsoever since it's covered by the muffler anyway.

As of 5 minutes ago, it was taken off.

Thanks.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:41 pm

lol i likey might get one, looks like a cool and silent case

joe123

Post by joe123 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:54 pm

$396.00 AUS for AW-PC-S80 Lian Li Silver Midi Tower Silent Aluminium Case

That is one expensive case.
Never really thought about the rear fan grill. But now that you bring it up, it does appear to restrict airflow for no gain whatsoever since it's covered by the muffler anyway.

As of 5 minutes ago, it was taken off.

Thanks.
Nice, Lian Li make quality cases and certainly show it in all aspects. Antec could learn a thing or two from them. Joe

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:13 pm

echn111 - Weren't you using a laing ddc with a modded top a while ago? If so, why did you move to the d5?

echn111

Post by echn111 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 am

frankgehry wrote:echn111 - Weren't you using a laing ddc with a modded top a while ago? If so, why did you move to the d5?
I was. The problem with the DDC (10w) is that it ran hot when placed flat down on acoustic dampening material. As I was unwilling to place it on cold, hard metal to prolong it's life, it eventually overheated and died.

Bought a DDC-2 (18w) but had the same mounting issues except when placed on the side and unmodded. Which I did for a while, but eventually I found it slightly too noisy for my liking.

The Laing D5 is perfect for me. With it's solid base, it has a good mounting system allowing me to put it on acoustic dampening material without the issue of overheating. It is considered to be more reliable which is good for me because my system is on 24/7. And it is more quiet than my DDC-2. I'm happy with it.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:24 pm

I've seen this somewhere before...any chance you posted this at XS?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:13 pm

That's a super-clean build. Good job!

FWIW, I would have rotated the pump 90 degrees, giving a straight shot to its intake. The pump's length would then force the output barb a little farther from the rad, straightening the output hose.

BTW, I've never even SEEN a D5. At what speed setting is its noise comparable to the 10W DDC's?

echn111

Post by echn111 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:56 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:That's a super-clean build. Good job!

FWIW, I would have rotated the pump 90 degrees, giving a straight shot to its intake. The pump's length would then force the output barb a little farther from the rad, straightening the output hose.

BTW, I've never even SEEN a D5. At what speed setting is its noise comparable to the 10W DDC's?
Thanks. Probably could have rotated the pump, but this works. As for the Laing D5 noise level, I'd say at a speed of 3 it's comparable to the Laind DDC (10W). At this level, noise will not come from the pump directly but from vibration noise, but if you mount it properly and keep it isolated from the case (i.e. petra gel pad + acoustic damping pad), you will not be able to hear it.