My P182 Setup

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WR304

Post by WR304 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:50 am

Havoc wrote:For everyone:
How much do different main boards differ in the distance from the PCIe x16 slot to the processor socket? Is there some recommended board for me if I want to make sure the HR-03 Plus can be mounted upwards?
The difference varies quite a bit depending on motherboard. If you use a Scythe Ninja CPU heatsink there's more clearance than with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

A few Socket 775 motherboards that you can definitely fit the HR-03 Plus above the card with are the Asus P5W DH Deluxe and most (all?) variations of the Asus P5K motherboard. :)

viewtopic.php?t=40686&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:08 am

WR304 wrote:A few Socket 775 motherboards that you can definitely fit the HR-03 Plus above the card with are the Asus P5W DH Deluxe and most (all?) variations of the Asus P5K motherboard. :)
A related question: Can I use either of the two x16 slots for a single card on a dual VGA main board?

This would make the placement more flexible on those boards.
Last edited by Havoc on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:10 am

double post.

WR304

Post by WR304 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:47 am

I think that would work.

The NForce 680i based motherboards have a pair of x16 PCI Express slots so you could probably do it with one of those. :)

There aren't that many motherboards with dual x16 PCI Express slots though.

Most Socket 775 motherboards only have a single x16 PCI Express slot and the second slot is x8 or slower.

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:43 am

WR304 wrote:Most Socket 775 motherboards only have a single x16 PCI Express slot and the second slot is x8 or slower.
Hmmm...... This roundup lists all the P35 dual VGA board as being true dual x16. Are they mistaken?

http://www.techspot.com/article/61-inte ... d-roundup/

(Sorry for drifting slightly off topic here...)

WR304

Post by WR304 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

I'm fairly sure they're mistaken. :)

From the manual of my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev 1.0 motherboard.

"Expansion Slots: 2x PCI Express x16 slots (The PCIE_16_1 slot supports x16; the PCIE_16_2 supports x4.)" Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard manual Page 10

About the best you can get with a P35 motherboard appears to be one that reconfigures to dual x8 for ATI crossfire mode.

Taken from a [H]ardOCP.com review of the Asus Blitz Formula P35 motherboard:

"The south bridge is located in front of the lower PCIe x16 slot and connects to the Crosslinx chip used for dynamically reconfiguring the PEG slots to function in a dual x8 configuration rather than the standard x16/x4 configuration seen on most P965 and P35 chipset based boards. The south bridge always ran cool thanks to the Fusion block. Another unique feature of the Blitz Formula is the Crosslinx feature. I mentioned it in passing earlier but what it does is allow the configuration of the two PCIe graphics slots (also known as PEG slots) to be changed from a standard x16/x4 configuration into a dual x8 configuration. This allows for more even bandwidth distribution of data between both cards. While there is no support for a dual x16 configuration (ostensibly due to the lack of PCIe lanes available on the P35 chipset) the need for that much bandwidth has been debated often in the community." Daniel Dobrowolski

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA==

Edit:

I had a go at running 3D Mark 2006 with my 8800 GTS 640mb card in the lower PCI Express slot and then compared it to the upper PCI Express slot score of the motherboard. :)

Here are the results:

8800GTS 640mb Card 3D Mark 2006 Score in Upper PCI Express Slot of Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Motherboard

8800GTS 640mb Card 3D Mark 2006 Score in Lower PCI Express Slot of Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Motherboard

In 3D Mark 2006 the card had a frame rate getting on for twice as fast in the upper PCI Express slot. There was some noticeable stuttering with the card in the lower slot too.

It also didn't seem to work as well in Windows. It took me a few tries to open the Nvidia control panel when the card was in the lower slot.

With the Gigabyte motherboard you lose nearly all the SATA connectors when the card is in the lower PCI Express slot. :(

Havoc

Post by Havoc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:02 am

Thanks for the detailed answer WR304. I was just about to try digging for information on how much the x16 speed is really needed :)

Another question for falcon26:

With the 120mm fan on the HR-03, could you fit another card (in addition to the one you have installed in the image) without hampering the airflow to much?

I'm trying to figure out if I could use the HR-03 +120mm facing downwards on an Asus P5K-E while getting two PCIe and one PCI slot still usable.

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:03 am

For those of you that want backpanel pictures take a look at Konnetikut new p182 post with pictures. My backpanel is almost 99% identical to his. I mean I first I thought it was mine :-) But my system is almost a mirror of his. As for putting another card in next to my HR-03, I can put my xfi sound card and that's it. Their's like 1 ich of room from the xfi card to the 120mm fan on the video card.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:12 pm

Flacon26:

I'm about to build my rig this weekend. I just got a Evga 8800 Ultra KO, coming in. I will try first with the stock heatsink, and I might go later with the HR03.

I think I got the answer on why you have such good temps, and some of the other guys with mirror builds don't have such success.

You placed three opened PCI brackets to bring some negative pressure, in other words bring fresh air in from the outside. The best example, if you place a piece of paper on those brackets it will stick to them while running the machine.

That is my friends the advantage of the P150/Solo v/s the P182. I've heard people having success with the Solo and hot cards like the 8800's.

If you observe the Solo, it has opened vents on the right side of the back panel. Letting fresh air get into it, and then it could be grabbed by the GPU.

ANTEC P182 BACK

ANTEC SOLO / P150

Do you guys notice the difference?

The Solo has open vents on the right side across the PCI brackets, while the P182 neglects those needed vents and instead has two rubber entries for Cooling Tubes. (What will happen if you take the rubber out and have the holes completely open.

This is the reason why passive cooling solutions take advantage of negative pressure. (Accelero S1 for example, or a fanned HR03)

But where is the secret?

The secret is that falcon26's rig creates negative pressure because:

- It is running not a single intake fan. (Pleease falcon26 correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm wrong can you tell us how many fans are you running)

Meaning the machine is basically exhausting all the time.

- He has 3 Open (Grilled) PCI Brackets.

That creates negative pressure to create an empty space inside the case, and "suck" fresh air from the outside no mater what.

In other words "The more you add intake fans, aka Kama Bay, etc. the worst results you will have".

To create or manufacture the "DIY Exhaust Shroud" for the horizontal vents of the 8800, like I've seen in this forum is not a good solution either because it diminishes negative pressure.

I'm saying all of this this because my current P150 rig, has no intake fan, and I have the best temps ever on my x6800 CPU (20C Idle 25 on Load) using a Scythe Ninja Rev B.

Flacon, would you be so kind to tell us what fans are you using,(brand) and how many?

I hope this helps, bacause I've been studying very carefully all the case scenarios of the other posts with cooling problems on P182, specially with 8800 ultras and gtx.

Please let me know, and you guys (Mojo, Konnetikut) might want to try this.

Thanks

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Hey oscar3d,

good job on all that research - although I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting that I try. Do you truly think that If I remove that middle hard drive cage fan my temps will improve? I've already removed the rubber watercooling hole covers.

I'm open to tweaking here - feel free to post one in my topic if you have a good suggestion :)

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi Konnetikut

Thanks for your reply. I think that it might be the answer...

This weekend I will find by myself when I put together the system,hopefully by Friday I'll get the 8800 Ultra. And I'm planning to post pictures of my build once it's ready.

Just so you know, I will follow your cable routing. Very nice pics on the back panel,thanks for posting them...

I'll post also in your post once I find out...

Any answers from Falcon26? Can you give us specs on your fans, how many, brand...?

Thanks!!

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:41 pm

And sorry,I forgot to answer your question.

Yes I suggest trying removing your HD cage fan. If I'm not wrong, the negative pressure will bring air inside the case. It will be like a vacumm.

Let's say you are on an airplane at 4 thousand feet and you break a window. You just need one window open, and it will create a vaccum, negative pressure, followthe idea?

More air will be exhausted...

The warm air is always going to the top of the case and being exhausted more easily from the back 120mm fan.

As a result the negative pressure will create an empty space that needs to be filled, and as such, the cold air from outside will be sucked in the case.

Did you try putting a reciept paper on the 2 holes you just open,try it out.

My current P150 build has acousicfoam, but also the majority of 5 1/4 bays have ben covered by a foam.

At the beginnig I thought it was going to raise the temperatures, but OMG, it actually helped create more negative pressure.

I'm actually thinking on trying the 8800 ultra inside the P150 case first.(I've already used tin snips to cut the HD cage,so it will have anough space to fit the ultra)

I hope this helps.

And falcon, any answer will be extremely appreciated.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:14 am

Ok guys... please don't slap me.

I've just got unexpectedly my Evga Ultra KO one day before on the UPS.
And I've just fitted it to my P150 (Solo equivalent), connected 2 PCI-E connectors from my Corsair 620HX. And played one round of Lost Planet on Windows XP, after it my temps:

Using Everest Senson Temp, with Stock GPU Cooling:

CPU X6800 Now is Idling at 27C
And Mobo 43C
8800 Ultra GPU Idles at 65C

Ambient Temperature: 69F

When playing Lost Planet it didn't go past 84C on Load Maximum Settings.

And this is a P150 for Christ sake...
I was right Negative pressure does affect airflow performance.

The 8800 Ultra did in fact increase the heat on the CPU and the Chipset, but for about 2-3 degrees.

I'm ready to build my new 182 rig this weekend.

Did I say the 8800 Ultra stock cooling is quiet enough? It is surprisingly very pleasant, and it only starts wooshing with a very characteristic noise, past 80C but not uncomfortable compared to the ATI 2900 or 1900 Hairdryer!!

I'll post pictures of my current p150 and later my new P182.

This is incredible. I'm not even sure if I should go with the HR03. By far this is one of the best stock cooling GPU's ever owned, and this is coming from an Ex ATI customer.

Oh sorry my current build fro now:

-Antec P150/ modded hole to fit 8800, plus Nexus Damptek on the side and top panel. Some foeam on the bays too.
-Asus P5W DH Deluxe
-Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800 @2.93
-2 DVD Drives
-Bluegears B-Enspirer (Best soundcard to replace the faulty Soundblaster)
-Evga 8800 Ultra KO (running @ 636Mhz default)
- Two WD hard drives running outside the case on SMART DRIVES 2000C enclosures.
-Windows XP Pro

Cheers!

paravis

Post by paravis » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:22 pm

oscar3d wrote:Ok guys... please don't slap me.

And I've just fitted it to my P150 (Solo equivalent), connected 2 PCI-E connectors from my Corsair 620HX. And played one round of Lost Planet on Windows XP, after it my temps:

And Mobo 43C

The 8800 Ultra did in fact increase the heat on the CPU and the Chipset, but for about 2-3 degrees.

Did I say the 8800 Ultra stock cooling is quiet enough? It is surprisingly very pleasant, and it only starts wooshing with a very characteristic noise, past 80C but not uncomfortable compared to the ATI 2900 or 1900 Hairdryer!!

This is incredible. I'm not even sure if I should go with the HR03. By far this is one of the best stock cooling GPU's ever owned, and this is coming from an Ex ATI customer.

-Antec P150/ modded hole to fit 8800, plus Nexus Damptek on the side and top panel. Some foeam on the bays too.
-Asus P5W DH Deluxe
-2 DVD Drives
-Windows XP Pro

Cheers!
Pretty interesting stuff. However I'd just like to add that you've got a very low ambient temp... I'm sure that's helpin out pretty good =D

I'm gonna try and get some negative pressure goin on in my p180 (old version, vent on the side of the panel instead of water holes). I've been struggling to get decent temps with the side panel on. With it off, temps (on my cpu mainly) fall 5c. I am using the big typhoon, so not the ideal HS for the p180, but I have to work with it.

h2o

Post by h2o » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:41 am

First off I just wanna say that your setup is really nice Falcon26 :) Second, it really inspired me to fix my extremely half assed cablework in my own 182. Now, there's not a single cable in the way of anything and I'm so happy. It also helps that I finally got rid of my 2x IDE hdd's & IDE burner... I hate those damn cables! Also my old 6600GT was having problems with it's fan... my new XFX 8800GTS is amazingly silent and my computer overall is just supersilent (old 120gb IDE hdd could be loud!).

So, thanks for the inspiration, while I won't take it to your level of extreme silent and cooling I am now one happy and proud 182 owner :D

Edited to add: I love S-ATA cables.

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:04 am

Yeah its nice having everything sata :-) makes things alot more tidy. This system is the best I've ever built I'd say. Its got great temps and its dead quiet load or idle :-) Konnetikut setup is also awesome, I wish I could have taken some good pictures like he did :-) my camera sucks.

Eagle156

Post by Eagle156 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:47 pm

oscar3d wrote:Ok guys... please don't slap me.

And Mobo 43C

-Asus P5W DH Deluxe
-2 DVD Drives
-Windows XP Pro

Cheers!
It could be possible that bad cable routing is affecting the temps of those with P182s. I've noticed that those that post pics of their setup with a clean interior are getting great temps while others not so much. It seems that in a p182 it's very easy to clog up all the airflow if you don't route your cables carefully.

meansizzler

Post by meansizzler » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:32 pm

HI, mr oscar, juSt to let you know I think the 8800gtx/ultra cooling is the worst every, an 8800gtx with stock cooling is a bomb waiting tO go off, my EVGA Ultra Superclocked idles at 78 degrees, and early 90's at load, my MSI 8800GTX OC idles at 80 degrees and early 90's at load, but slapped on a HR-03 Plus on the MSI and knocked 15 degrees off, 64 degrees idle, under 78 full load, and if I remove the side case cover of the P182 then slap another 10 degrees off, yes 55 degrees idle for an 8800GTX at 612mhz and with a 120mm/800RPM S-Flex fan on it, quite and cool...

Will post specs on my system soon, but one thing the P182 needs is a side air vent, as my CPU temp and mobo temp have risen 7 degrees since isntall the GTX, with the side cover off the temp drops by 10 degrees on CPU/MOBO/GPU...

Justchill

Post by Justchill » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:36 am

hi TS,

do you have a back panel picture?

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:09 pm

meansizzler wrote:HI, mr oscar, juSt to let you know I think the 8800gtx/ultra cooling is the worst every, an 8800gtx with stock cooling is a bomb waiting tO go off, my EVGA Ultra Superclocked idles at 78 degrees, and early 90's at load, my MSI 8800GTX OC idles at 80 degrees and early 90's at load, but slapped on a HR-03 Plus on the MSI and knocked 15 degrees off, 64 degrees idle, under 78 full load, and if I remove the side case cover of the P182 then slap another 10 degrees off, yes 55 degrees idle for an 8800GTX at 612mhz and with a 120mm/800RPM S-Flex fan on it, quite and cool...

Will post specs on my system soon, but one thing the P182 needs is a side air vent, as my CPU temp and mobo temp have risen 7 degrees since isntall the GTX, with the side cover off the temp drops by 10 degrees on CPU/MOBO/GPU...
It is in this configuration that you are asking for more cold air input. In lieu of no side door fan hole on the p182, people add the kama bay (in addition to the middle input fan) to buff the cold air input flow.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:49 am

Hey Flacon!!

Did you finally try those slipstream fans from Scythe?

If so what are your results? What do you recommend?

udi13

Post by udi13 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:53 pm

:lol:

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:19 pm

Not yet oscar :-( I just ordered one this thursday I'll get it next week and let you guys know just how well those company specs hold up :-)