Updated my rig :)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

yamahaSHO

Updated my rig :)

Post by yamahaSHO » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:40 pm

I made a post a few months ago when I built this computer (HTPC), but since then, I've updated a bit it to get it where I've wanted it.

Although the computer was pretty quiet, I still thought the Yate Loon fans could be more quiet. To slow them down a bit, I bought a 5.25" Zalman fan controller and I like it a lot. This has made the system much more quiet for those quiet movie scenes. Just above the fan controller, I also added my own air intake with filter. The top fan didn't seem to do much in my setup, so I also removed it.

I have also replaced my 8800GTS SC (640MB) with and 8800GT SSC (512MB) to aid in hi-def material. The stock cooler was absolutely horrible. It looked cool and only took up one slot, but it did not cool well (60C idle) and was loud over 35% fan speed. I end up installing and Accelero S1 with some custom made RAM/voltage reg sinks. This dropped the idle down to 39-41C and when the the front and rear case fan is turned all the way up, it won't crack 45C when I'm pushing it (front door open or closed)(with fan turned down as low as I can, the card can reach 55C when it's being pushed)... Best of all, I run the cooler passively (aside from the case fan blowing across it).

Finally, I have added an LG HD DVD/Bly-Ray player and Hauppauge HVR-1600 analog and digital TV tuner (two tuners) which I have also been happy with. Other small things include soft mounted fans, sealing up some of the holes in the case/chambers and cleaning up the wiring.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

I have so many spare parts laying around, I thougth I should actually use them and make another HTPC for my bedroom. My better half gave me the okay to get another case and do it. Hopefully, it'll handle HD DVD and Blu-Ray when I get an HDTV for the bedroom.

I really like the look of this case... I don't think many that come over will realize it is a computer. I'll likely post pics and specs when it is done.

On a side project, I added some (silent) cooling for my Xbox 360. I can keep the door closed so I don't have to hear the loud Xbox and keep it cool. I still have to do this to the otherside for my receiver. I currently have Panaflo 120mm fans in there turned down, but I am replacing with Yate Loon and will undervolt them.

I guess I posted lots of pictures.... Fun stuff.

soma

Post by soma » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:54 am

Nice looking box.

Take the black plastic top and bottom off of the accelero! You can do it with a screw driver, very easy.

Actually, maybe you like them being there but I took them off of mine as soon as I saw them.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:33 am

I thought about taking them off... I may do that when I take it back off to install the supports (which I forgot to put on the first time) and some AS5.

EDIT: I am considering replacing the fan in the PSU and have been doing some reading on this forum about it. Would I be alright replacing it with a Nexus 80mm fan? I have three spares that are near new and would love to use if I can. I also have some older Panaflo 80mm fans that are several years old.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:20 pm

Tough crowd :?

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:44 pm

what exactly IS the PSU?

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Shukuteki wrote:what exactly IS the PSU?
I should have been more specific... I am talking about the SU-380 that is supplied with the NSK-2480.

The PSU in the first computer has a 140mm fan which I can not hear at all (Enermax Infinit 720).

soma

Post by soma » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:07 am

Did the clips that hold the fan on the lower drive bay (the one pointing at your graphics card) come with the case?

I would be interested in how you attached that fan. It looks like there is some kind of rubber to limit vibration, is that right? Where did you get it?

soma

Post by soma » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:12 am

yamahaSHO wrote:I thought about taking them off... I may do that when I take it back off to install the supports (which I forgot to put on the first time) and some AS5.

EDIT: I am considering replacing the fan in the PSU and have been doing some reading on this forum about it. Would I be alright replacing it with a Nexus 80mm fan? I have three spares that are near new and would love to use if I can. I also have some older Panaflo 80mm fans that are several years old.
Make sure that the fans you use to replace the stock ones are happy to run horizontally. Apparently, some fans are not. Maybe some one with a better understanding of this could post.

aztec

Post by aztec » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 am

is there a benefit of having the fan on the inside of the drive cage as opposed to having it closer to the front of the case?

I have a similar cage for my Chenbro, and because I couldn't fit a 120mm fan on the front panel, so I had to stick it in the inside of the drive cage.

I always thought this would pull in less cool air from the outside (front) of the case.

Thanks!

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:03 am

The benefit of putting it this way is that more air gets pushed over the VGA, which is especially nice when you have a passive card. Also, since the intake is further back, it should be a bit less audible then at the front.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:52 am

soma wrote:Did the clips that hold the fan on the lower drive bay (the one pointing at your graphics card) come with the case?

I would be interested in how you attached that fan. It looks like there is some kind of rubber to limit vibration, is that right? Where did you get it?
The case came with the wire clips that hold the fan onto the drive bay. If yours does not have them, or the holes to accommodate them, you'll need to contact Antec. The rubber I used is just a standard rubber fan isolator found at just about any computer parts store (www.coolerguys.com)

seraphyn wrote:The benefit of putting it this way is that more air gets pushed over the VGA, which is especially nice when you have a passive card. Also, since the intake is further back, it should be a bit less audible then at the front.
Those were my thoughts when deciding whether to install the fan there or not. It pulls in plenty of air and keeps my passive 8800GT in the lower 40's C.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:56 am

Nice build. Sorry to get offtopic, but do you really need a video card as powerfull as the 8800GT SSC to play HDDVD and Bluray.
Thanks

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:00 am

No, but the computer's use does not stop at HD DVD and Blu-Ray.