Exclusive low-end office PC - wood + steel.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ishi

Exclusive low-end office PC - wood + steel.

Post by ishi » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:42 am

Im finishing work on my first prototype of exclusive PC.

This is small computer for office use...it is not finished but I would like to share some pictures. Im waiting for any comments :)

This computer is for sale, I plan to make short series of this model.

Last edited by ishi on Fri May 27, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Hows the cooling? Noise?

Aesthetically and economically, pretty nice--I like what looks like the combination of steel case with venting and then just wood over it.

Not entirely sure of the buttons on the top, but *shrugs*.

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:06 pm

Very pretty, especially the wood, beautiful grain. Not so sure about the metal grill for the vent, I'm sure there must be more aesthetically pleasing options, no? Especially as you clearly went to so much effort on the other finishing touches. If the sides were solid wood too it would easily be the nicest case I've ever seen, still though, it's a beaut.
Would you be selling this as a whole system only or as a solo case too?
Specs and internal photos would be much appreciated, toodles.

derekva

Post by derekva » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Seems as if this would be a good platform for D201GLY2 or mini-ITX Core2Duo (as long as you had some good cross-flow ventilation). Nice work!

-D

ishi

Post by ishi » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks for first comments :)

All system is vented by two QOLTEC SilentLine fans 60mm mounted on Noiseblocked slicks. Airflow is from right to left side of case so all parts like cards, mobo, cpu and psu are cooled together. Additionaly case have vented bottom, big hole under mobo covered by the same metal grill.

After first tests i know that is enough. Cause compuer is designed for office use (P3 1GHz, 1 GB SD RAM, Matrox G450, 2,5 HDD SATA, HP mobo all-in-one) it is not much powerful and heat emmition is medium.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:58 pm

The grill catches my eye too.. Can't really imagine what would work there (for my liking), but other than that the case looks awesome!

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:59 pm

Well, the grill is probably hidden enough from near the front...but from the sides it might be too obvious and just industrial looking.

Best thing I can think of would be something like Modder's Mesh, or even something similar but cheaper like speaker grille mesh. Would be easy to find the proper dimensions needed and just to friction fit a piece on either side.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:39 pm

i guess that the buttons on top are power reset, how much do u plan on selling them for ?

ishi

Post by ishi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:58 am

I spent a lot of time on searching cool grill, all I found is this aluminium grill. Maybe should I paint it on dark brown or beige?

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:31 am

Personally, I would try and find some kind of grill/mesh material that is either a shiny metallic colour like the feet/buttons, or a dark colour like the same brown as the wood, or black. That grey grill just reminds me of cheap tower cases from the early 90's.
Surely you could just machine the required ventilation holes straight into the wood, hence no need for a grill at all? Or you could have solid sides and use lower power components and/or bottom/back vents?
Again, are you selling it as a case only, or just with a system inside? Any internal pics?
Toodles.

PS. What wood is that?

ishi

Post by ishi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:50 pm

Personally, I would try and find some kind of grill/mesh material that is either a shiny metallic colour like the feet/buttons, or a dark colour like the same brown as the wood, or black.
...I will try to find something else
Surely you could just machine the required ventilation holes straight into the wood, hence no need for a grill at all?
... no way, grill must be, otherwise it will look sux.
Surely you could just machine the required ventilation holes straight into the wood, hence no need for a grill at all? Or you could have solid sides and use lower power components and/or bottom/back vents?
...there is no space to mount fan in bottom or rear side, belive me :)
Again, are you selling it as a case only, or just with a system inside? Any internal pics?

...Im selling computer not only case, but I will think about it in future.
What wood is that?
...construction is made from plywood, external finish (depend by customer) in this unit is tek wood veneer .

BillTodd

Post by BillTodd » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:33 am

Very nice looking case :)

The grill might look better if you routered out a rebate on the inside, so the grill is closer to the out-side of the box. This should give the impression that the box is made of thinner, sleaker, material.

I did the same to the top panel of my PVR box. The top is actually 4mm thick.

sgtsmith

Post by sgtsmith » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:02 pm

It might be possible to inset a louvered hardwood register cover in place of the metal grille. They're readily available at any home improvement store and don't cost much. I'm not sure it how it would look, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there. Very nice case BTW.

ishi

Post by ishi » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 pm

OK. Prototype is almost finished. Im makeing performances tests.
Pics from build and final product patrfolio soon...

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:01 pm

I just saw this for the first time, and I have to say it looks magnificent. If you're still looking for something else for the grilles on the sides, you might consider some sort of fairly open wicker weave. Or, if you don't think that'll work well, some more open hexagon mesh would also work.

ishi

Post by ishi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Project is hunged :( but not for long I hope...

I have big problem with compability of HP mobo and sata pci controler. Windows Xp after instalation dont want cooperate on new sata disk, bluescreen on startup and that is it. I made tests on silicon image and via controllers.

Beacuse it is really hard to solve, I decide to change platform and now Im looking for NEW mobo small matx mobo 9,6x8,9" and dual core CPU. Platform AM2 or LGA775? Probably the first one, cause AMD Athlon x2 64 cpu's have lowest TDP than Intel cpu's.

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Wow, I can't believe I missed this before. What a great looking little case!

I agree with the comments about the grilles though. I'd say definitely paint (I'm thinking gloss black), and mount them inside as suggested so that they look more flush with the wood surface.

I wish I had your wood working skills! I think selling the case alone would be a great idea. Roughly how much would one of these babies go for?

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:10 am

Wow, that case looks great. Did you do something about EMI as well, ishi?

ishi

Post by ishi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:05 am

Palindroman wrote:Wow, that case looks great. Did you do something about EMI as well, ishi?
Not a specialy :) Cuse this is 100% wood case it must be weired for grounding (mobo + psu + I/O shield)

meansizzler

Post by meansizzler » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:33 am

Nice, but would be bettter if you cover the metal grills with wood ones, as the sides look ugly, also if you plan on selling them then make sure you get your own website and host the pics on there instead of on some crappy free site... makes a bad impression...

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:04 am

meansizzler wrote:Nice, but would be better if you cover the metal grills with wood ones, as the sides look ugly
Well that is a matter of personal opinion. I kind of like the exposed metal grills. To me they give contrast and make it look a little more interesting than "just" a wooden case. I'm not as minimalistic as most here...I think. They do seem a wee bit restrictive though. Beautiful case by the way. :D

ishi

Post by ishi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:05 am

meansizzler wrote:Nice, but would be bettter if you cover the metal grills with wood ones, as the sides look ugly, also if you plan on selling them then make sure you get your own website and host the pics on there instead of on some crappy free site... makes a bad impression...
...my web site is under construction :) it will be profesional site, so dont worry. I like this aluminium grills, white alu looks fine with dark brown tek wood. Shape of grill is not popular,thats why it has been chosen.

ishi

Post by ishi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:06 am

chahahc wrote:
meansizzler wrote:Nice, but would be better if you cover the metal grills with wood ones, as the sides look ugly
Well that is a matter of personal opinion. I kind of like the exposed metal grills. To me they give contrast and make it look a little more interesting than "just" a wooden case.
THX ^_^

aimfox

Post by aimfox » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:43 pm

wow not bad. looks very extreme to the core :P

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:18 pm

I also agree with the choice of grills, why cover or paint a nice material like aluminium. It nicely contrasts the dark brown in the rest of the case. While hexagonal grills might be less restrictive, the ones chosen are better suited to achieve the looks the designer intended.

Very good work.

Ant6n

Post by Ant6n » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:43 pm

looks pretty cool. I like the grills the way they are. If i'd try to sell this, i'd look for a motherboard that has some good integrated graphics with hd acceleration and hdmi, so that people can put this in their living room. You should sell the desk along with this, too :P

kater

Post by kater » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Stary, nice build :D

How about gril like this?
http://allegro.pl/item335144758_czrna_s ... 2x4mm.html

The guy who sells it has plenty other types - worth looking at.

You might also take a look at these hits
http://www.google.pl/search?hl=pl&q=bla ... a=N&tab=iw

or just search for "blacha perforowana" - it would look even better.

ishi

Post by ishi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:18 pm

kater wrote:Stary, nice build :D

How about gril like this?
http://allegro.pl/item335144758_czrna_s ... 2x4mm.html

The guy who sells it has plenty other types - worth looking at.

You might also take a look at these hits
http://www.google.pl/search?hl=pl&q=bla ... a=N&tab=iw

or just search for "blacha perforowana" - it would look even better.
...I DONT LIKE IT,CAUSE THIS IS MOST POPULAR SHAPE OF GRILL. MY BUILD IS NOT CAR WITH BIG BUMPERS :)

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:24 am

ishi wrote:
Palindroman wrote:Wow, that case looks great. Did you do something about EMI as well, ishi?
Not a specialy :) Cuse this is 100% wood case it must be weired for grounding (mobo + psu + I/O shield)
How did you do this grounding, if I may ask? Do you have any pics of that?

ishi

Post by ishi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Palindroman wrote:
ishi wrote:
How did you do this grounding, if I may ask? Do you have any pics of that?
Simply: Mobo is grounded by wires to ground connections of PSU.