silent P182 with acoustipack v2 and case mod.

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ash

silent P182 with acoustipack v2 and case mod.

Post by Ash » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:57 am

Hello guys, i have been meaning to finish my computer for a while and post pics. after months of getting info from the helpful people on this forum i managed to complete my extremely quite computer. theres still one or two things i want to iron out over time, but so far so good.

id like to thank everyone who helped me out with suggestions along the way.

The computer is used for everyday but NO gaming, so i know components arent up to scratch but they are enough for me.

Spec:

Asus P5B MB
CPU: e6420 (oc from 2.1 to [email protected])
cooler: xigmatek s1283 with slipstream 1200 - on TR bolt thru kit.
2gb Geil RAM (2x1gb) ([email protected])
GPU: 8600gt on stock fan.
2 Western Digital HDD 160gb.
4 800 slipstream
PSU: enermax modu 525
pioneer dvd rw.

as soon as i moved all components into the p182 there was an immediate difference with sound i couldnt hear the fans, or the psu but i could hear the HD's.

i ordered acoustipack v2 with the case, but tested it without first. before i post the pics i wanted to say that i did apply acoustipack on the side panel, but there was contact with the xigmatek cooler and i could see it was moving it when i was trying to shut the case, so i decided to remove it.

my temps are as follows: using everest

MB/System: 32
CPU: 40
core1/2: 25-27 idle
GPU: 48-50
HD 1/2: 35-40.

apologies for poor quality pictures, i only have my phone cam to hand.

after i finished applying acoustipack

inside or front door, makes a huge difference if you have intake fans and takes out the hd noise.

Grill + door mod, cut away with tin snips, and then applied u channel to make it look neater and safer, i havent finished with the upper grill yet, im going to get hold of a dremmel from my uncle and sort that out.

inside with everuthing installed.

lower chamber with fan mount removed.

rear vents blocked off with acoustipack, not stuck on just cut to fit.

bottom of upper chamber, slot cut to allow cables to feed through, i kept the piece i cut out it can be placed back to cover up.

top corner between fans, im going to block the corner off in the future when i get a chance.

top of case around the fan.

cable management, that was the best i could do, took ages to sort out.

acoustipack on rear of HDD cage, also seems to keep all hd noise away.

my overall set up. to let you guys know just how quiet it is. i can hear my ps3 over my pc when they are both on, and my ps3 is really quiet.

still to do:

front grill, as i mentioned i want to cut a circle and neaten it up, with u channel again.

block off the top corner between the fans to stop air going in the corner.
also want to block off the top drive bays that are not in use.

replace dvd rw with sata dvd rw, IDE cable is a nightmare in there at the moment.

find a way to get a fan in the lower chamber at the front, just a slow one to cool hd's. is it possible to get a 120mm in the front there i havent tried.

im also looking for a nice 3.5" fan controller, anyone got any recommendations? id like one that can also turn the fans off if needs be.

overall im very satisfied with the lack of sound from the p182, better than i expected. i have to check the LED to see if it is on when i come in the room as i cant tell from the sound anymore.

feel free to leave feedback or ask any questions.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:42 am

Very nice. I know what a pita job it is to apply sounddampening.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:58 am

Very nice indeed, but I do have some questions.
First off, did you use any foam on the side panels at all? I used the thing foam on the side panel behind the motherboard and had no problems whatsoever. The main side panel did have contact with my TRUE though.
I'm also curious to know if you used the thick foam at all. I don't see it anywhere. Did you also use any of the foam bricks to fill in the gaps? I personally actually used the two 5.25 bricks to sandwich my 2.5 inch hard drive instead of suspension. The temperatures are quite reasonable too.
Last question I have is how effective are the pieces of foam you applied to the side of the hard drive bays and the psu? I noticed you applied them backwards with the sticky side facing the hard drives. I considered this when applying mine but concluded that it would be best if the foam was applied on the side door instead. The way I saw it was that the sound would travel through the soft foam first before hitting the rubber layer and bouncing back inward towards the components, in which case would be further dampened by a second traversal through the soft foam.

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:07 am

thanks for the feedback guys

i didnt use any foam on the side panels at all, i did apply the thick foam on the side panel but then removed it, i still kept the backing so i can still use it if i need to, and i also still had some of the flat sheet left over.

i was initially going to apply the other sheet to the panel behind the MB but i didnt need to. honestly i cant quieten the system anymore with acoustipack, only quieter components.

the PSU is silent, i cant hear it at all and its an impressive power supply. so the direction of the foam wouldnt have made a difference, i just put it that way because the backing sat flat against the vents of the case, you could use it the other way if you prefer.

i currently have 1 of the 5.25 blocks on the dvd rw, i have a few loose cables on top of that, but i am considering either cutting the foam or purchasing some from similar foam from a local shop.

the other block, i actually use it under the cpu cooler, it just fits and leans on it and also acts as a duct, not needed, but i was just experimenting.

i do have another piece of the foam sheet which i have cut and it fits behind the pci vents, im not sure how effective it is for temps, but it keeps the dust out from the back.

i forgot to take a pic of the rear where i cut away the grill, but we'v all seen it before, il try and update pics soon.

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:24 am

Nice pictoral there, and your results are interesting.

I've always been sceptical of acoustic dampening material, but your results and those of other do seem to suggest that it works.

I'd love to see a review where they try small amounts of material in different places, to see what the effect is. For example, you put some on your HDD bay. I wonder how much difference that makes on it's own?

joe123

Post by joe123 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:37 am

Nice build you have there and setup for that mater. Just a tip with the Sub-woofer, mounting it on the CD Deck probably isn't the best idea because the Amplifier unit will be subject to vibration which will cause CD's to skip. However if you dont listen to CD's or have the unit at loud volumes shouldn't be a problem i guess.

I'm sure that audio system would drown out any pc noise for sure ;) .

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:46 am

lol, thanks

i dont often use the cd player, its mainly mp3 from the pc or ps3.

having said that, when i did use the cd player, the sub didnt seem to have any effect on it, i never really thought about it to be honest.

i do listen to it quite loud, but at the moment im using the on board audio on the mb, and its not that good. i did have a soundblaster before i had vista, and that was amazing, not so with the vista drivers, but on xp the sound was great.

im looking to get new sound card some time in the future though.

any ideas on a fan controller? i want a 3.5" but not too pricey either.

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:08 am

actually you just reminded me about my creative card, so i checked for new drivers, i havent checked for around a year, and they have new ones!

i just installed it and its working fine.

the only thing is the windows volume is constantly at 100, whereas i like to keep it at 50, and adjust accordingly depending on what is being heard. still, better than the on board audio.

Ash

Post by Ash » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:52 am

just to update on my build.

i have added a sunbeam fan controller with the top and front intake fan connected.
replaced ide dvd-rw with a new sata dvd-rw,
and i have block off the top corner between the top and rear fans and also used the foam blocks from acoustipack to block off the empty drive bays that a sucking in dust.

p182 from front, with fan controller installed.

top corner blocked off to stop air getting into there.

front bays blocked off to stop dust getting in from there.
may cut away some more off the blocks i have left to seal the top bay but its ok.

how the inside looks now, with the stupid ide cable taken out. much better than before. may also help with airflow not being restricted by the ide right infront of the fan.

finally, my temps from everest. im happy with that. HD temps will reach 38-40 later in the day.

iv pretty much done all i wanted to do, but when i get time i may do something about the cable from the front panel but thats not important for now.

im still waiting on a dremmel to neaten up the grills i removed with tin snips, and im thinking about putting a fan in the lower chamber, but il see how it goes.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Heh - I used my Sunbeam for years and have a big soft spot for them - especially since the LEDs are so bright they can double as mood lighting!

I'd definitely do a bit of further checking to find out whether your "CPU" or "core" temp is the correct one because unless I'm very mistaken one of them has to be wrong. For example, my Ip35-Pro's "CPU" temp is way lower than my core temps, but I know the core temps are correct.

That's a top quality job with the Acoustipack, especially around the top/rear fans. I got lazy round there and didn't bother blocking it off but I think I probably should. Did you notice any difference in temps or noise after doing that and the drive bay blocks?

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:35 am

thanks mate.

il will check up on the cpu temps.

as for acoustipack, it definitely made a difference with sound, i could clearly hear my HD seeking before i applied it above any other noise, and now i cant hear them at all, the layer behind the door also made a lot of difference. all i can hear now is very low fan noise but that is only in the middle of the night when its dead quiet. i have a little left over, aswell as the thick layer of acoustipack, i may apply a bit on the side panels for the lower chamber, but im pleased with the results so far.

there wasnt any change in temps at all, my temps are always effected by room temperatures more than anything else. although since i blocked off the corner between the fans my cpu temps appear more stable, before that they were fluctuating alot.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 am

Did you ever put a fan in front of the lower HD cage?

There is a thread here about removing the metal 'cage' attached to the front lower grill. Once removed you can put a 120mm fan there.

I removed the cage but have never put a fan there as I have a Scythe Quiet Drive in the lower section.

Edit: here you go viewtopic.php?t=40696&highlight=

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:14 pm

i havent got around to putting a fan in there yet, i havnt had the time lately.

i wanted to cut away and neaten up the edges of the grills that i had removed earlier and i was going to remove the cage at the front of the lower chamber at the same time.

i have come across some thiner fans though and i was thinking of the slotting one of them in there, there was a scythe one cant remember the name or model.

so fan its been alright though, weather has not been as hot the last few days so i may leave it for now.

but i do need a new hd for music and movies etc, i just hope new one doesnt get hotter.

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:38 am

Ash wrote:i have come across some thiner fans though and i was thinking of the slotting one of them in there, there was a scythe one cant remember the name or model.

but i do need a new hd for music and movies etc, i just hope new one doesnt get hotter.
Did you find the Scythe (most likely 20mm depth) fan in the UK? Yate Loon 120mm fan (20mm depth) can be bought from Jab Tech in the US.

The new single platter 320GB WD and dual platter 640 (both AAKS I think) get good reviews. I think Samsung do some similar designs as well?

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:22 pm

thanks for that, i was looking at WD 500gb, as i have 2 smaller WD's at the moment, il check those out.

as for the fans, i havent properly looked into them, so they probably arent available in the uk, although theres an even thinner 12mm fan for HD's, im going to have it connected to my fan controller anyway so there's just enough airflow to keep them cool.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/produc ... -slim-2000

i had to get slipstream 800's shipped from jab tech to UK, if i cant find any slim fans then i will just remove the frame in the lower chamber.

nici

Post by nici » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:30 am

Ah yes, the almighty Sunbeam Blindinator!