Development/gaming P182 Build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nice Marmot

Development/gaming P182 Build

Post by Nice Marmot » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Nothing out of the ordinary, but a quality machine for software/firmware development and gaming.

Full specs:

Case: Antec P182B
PSU: Corsair 520-HX
Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550
CPU HSF: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + Nexus 120mm
RAM: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
CPU: ASUS ENGTX260 (192 SP, non-overclocked version)
HDD: Samsung F1 1TB
DVD: Samsung SH-S223Q

Thoughts:

Put the machine together last weekend, but haven't done much with it yet because I was waiting for Vista 64bit to get here, and now I'm sick! I may end up getting a Velociraptor 150 to use as the OS/App drive and keep the F1 for data. The GPU is freaking huge and blocks where I wanted to put the HDs. Thought the case would be bigger. But even with all three Tri-cools going (lowest), the Nexus, PSU and GTX 260 (in 2D), it's a quiet machine, and the noise quality is great, just a gentle woosh. Haven't even loaded any games yet, going to wait until I feel a bit better.

Thanks very much to the community here for tips on putting this build together!

deadfones

Post by deadfones » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:21 am

Nice build. Get well soon if you're not better already.

I felt the 182 to be a little cramped as well, being used to oversized lian lis. I'm happy with it though.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:55 pm

It might be worth checking if losing the top fan altogether and even blocking the grill, and turning the heatsink 90° gets better temps.
In the current setup, the air "has to make a 90° turn", from front to up (towards heatsink); any obstruction (changing direction is a huge obstruction) should be prevented.

Perhaps it's possible to lose both upper and lower HDD cases and suspend the HDD's in the lower chamber, opening up air and making room for the GPU (I did this with an 8800GTX). Removing the upper HDD cage might make room to put the suspended drives up there as well.

[mistype: "CPU" instead of "GPU" for the vid card]

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:06 pm

yeah i would do what spookmineer mentioned above ^
just get some duct tape when blocking the grill

also what are your temps currently?