Old PC70 relegated to WHS duties, 7 drives, 4tb

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

deadfones

Old PC70 relegated to WHS duties, 7 drives, 4tb

Post by deadfones » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:04 pm

This was a PC70 I used in early the 2000s. Very oldschool with custom tailed L1As. I added a SIIG SIL 1334 SATA adapter and a mix of 500 and 750 gig drives. It now sits in the closest, where I I turn it on every couple weeks to do a WHS backup. The back L1As are routed behind the mobo plate.

There's a bunch of leds in the 3.5" bay. Back then I used them for scsi access indicators, but now just one's being used for the SIL activity.

p4 3.0 ghz
asus p4c-800e deluxe
2gb ram
pc power and cooling 750 watt psu. i replaced the delta! fan with a l1a, but it's still the loudest component
geforce 4600 with a zalman passive hsf

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:28 am

Nice! Are those real old school NMB-MAT fans? Very nice old school build ^^

deadfones

Post by deadfones » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:06 pm

They're FBA08A12L.

I know the wiring is a mess, but it's easy to work with.

When I first got the case, there were stories about removing the bottom of the PSU bracket if your PSU is inverted, to suck hot air off the CPU (and heat up the PSU while you're at it). The case arrived before the PSU and I wasn't sure if I needed to mod the bracket but I did anyway. Turned out the PSU (Enermax IIRC) wasn't inverted and had I inverted it, I'd need to drill new mounting holes in the back. So, that's why the Zalman's Fan Mate is awkwardly velcroed to the bottom of the PSU.

Another story: at the time, I got my hands on some brand new 8 gig SCSI drives. I had filled them up and for some reason was moving them around, while the computer was on. I laid one of them down, PCB side down, across the carpet and bottom rail of the case. Some sparks flew and the magic smoke was released. The drive was electrically dead, looking back though it would've been fun to try and transplant another working PCB onto it.

FuturePastNow

Post by FuturePastNow » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:26 pm

You could find a much quieter PSU if you wanted, a Seasonic (or Corsair-brand Seasonic) or FSP with a single 12V rail and 120mm fan. 750W is overkill anyway.

megarek

Post by megarek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:51 am

I respect that you tried to recycle your old computer. However, do you not feel that the P4 3.0 draws too much power and creates too much heat for a WHS setup?

Ross

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 am

He mentioned that he only turns it on once every so often to carry out a WHS backup - a good idea that I might copy, as I'm only interested in a home server for backup :)