Old Intel D201GLY humidor build and future projects

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Old Intel D201GLY humidor build and future projects

Post by sea2stars » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Well. This little system went off to the mother-in-law's place after her old and super loud monster died; death by cat hair. My first attempt at using a Dremel on wood; learned some lessons and loss some skin.

Intel D201GLY
PicoPSU
USB wifi to MB USB header
40GB 1.8" HD
80mm Noctua
slot load slim DVD to MB USB header; removed for future builds
PCLinuxOS

This next case, an old silverware chest, will contain:
- 1.6GHz Pentium M mini-ITX board w 1GB RAM
- 4GB industrial CF OS drive and a 32GB data card
- hacked USB keyboard
- LVDS LCD screen plus inverter
- slot load DVD
- 100mm/15mm fan
- PCI Gigabit card
- PicoPSU
- either a touch screen or USB touchpad

The full system currently idles around 20W, although I'm trying to get my hands on a cheap low voltage Pentium M CPU.

The last, another humidor, will probably be a miniITX media/home server for the living room. I can easily see putting the motherboard in the bottom and use the top cigar tray as a suspension system for 1-2 hard drives. With the proper ducting it should be a nicely ventilated and quiet case.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:31 am

and they smell good as well :)

CallmeRoth

Post by CallmeRoth » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:05 am

Those poor Humidors. =(

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:46 am

I swear I read the thread title as "Old intel UGLY humidor" :lol:

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:41 pm

Heh. Yeah, they smell awesome being cedar and all. I only buy the humidors with imperfections; no reason to purchase something full price that you're going to put your own "defects" into. I like using them because they look great sitting on a desk or around the house and they're quite solid. I'd love to toss an ION miniITX board in one of these, but I'm more than happy sticking to DVDs and can't see paying that much for a motherboard.

Ramses
Friend of SPCR

Post by Ramses » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:30 am

Nice idea sea2stars. I really like such unobtrusive yet stylish builds, good job! :D

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks!

I managed to track down an Aaeon EMB-945t mini-ITX board for $40 which came in today. Now I'm just waiting for a used Mobile Core 2 Duo, T5500 1.66GHZ, to get here so I can see if if the board works. If it does, I'll start tracking down all of the extra bits that I'll need and start working on the last humidor I posted.

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Update

Post by sea2stars » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I still need to do some painting, quiet down the main 80mm fan (Speedfan isn't working well) and come up with a better DVD slot bezel. I'm also considering putting in a USB port on the front if I can find room.

How does the name Shamisen work; besides the fact that it has too many strings? Heh. I've never had to tune a computer before to get the right amount of tension.

Power/reset button and DVD slot. I'm going to drill a small hole to get a paperclip in to eject the disc if necessary.

Motherboard and fan. There is room for a 120mm fan, but wire management may become an issue. So far I've been able to run without the CPU fan running. I've been looking for decent passive-low-profile CPU heatsinks but nothing will fit; 60mmx60mm. Idle of 40C-CPU 34C-HD.

Assembled DVD bracket with neoprene washers and USB adapter.

Hard drive suspension system.

2.5" SATA in a 3.5" enclosure and a 3.5" SATA drive.

Main intake behind hard drives, power and S/PDIF connector.

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:48 pm

Update.

I got tired of the 60mm fan and trying to find a passive heatsink that I wouldn't have to cut up; so I modded what I had.

Old 60mm fan shroud (in case I still needed the original) hacked as spacer with countersunk screw holes to fit the heatsink's retaining screw/springs. An 80mm-60mm fan adapter from another project.

DVD drive assembly mounted.

Revised hard drive tray with a foam "gasket" for the hard drive cables and direct vent to heatsink; rubber gasket mounted to the plastic intake. Idle temps down from 40C to 30C for the CPU and down to 32C for the hard drives.

I have a few fan controls that I'm going to try and mount next.