Quieting the cheap and dirty way

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zeroignite

Quieting the cheap and dirty way

Post by Zeroignite » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:29 pm

So, a while ago my brother was given a computer left over after one of his freinds upgraded. It's actually got decent components, but the case is a disaster acoustically. Desperate for relief, he turned to me for help, hoping I could make a few cheap/free mods to give him his quietude back.

The rig has an Athalon X2 4000+ (stock cooler), Gigabyte Nvidia 700 series Nvidia mobo with integrated graphics, a generic 380w psu, and a 40GB WD drive I had laying around.

As I said, the case is an audio nightmare. It's cheap, thin steel, and quite prone to both resonance and vibration. The visible perforations are basically all the ventilation the case has.

Here's the internals. The wiring was a total mess.

The one rear 80mm fan was overpowered, noisy, and had a terribly restrictive fan grill. It's by far the loudest component.

Naturally, the solution was a fan improvement. I happened to have a fair 120mm fan on-hand, so I figured I would cut out the grill entirely and stick the large fan in instead. There was a small problem, however. The fan was just barely too big-- pretty much my the thickness of the frame.

Not wanting to admit defeat, I set about reducing the fan's width. First with a saw...

...and then with a dremel.

The fan: now a tad bit thinner.

And now doing what I had planned on doing an hour ago, cutting out the rear grill.

After putting in the fan and reinstalling some hardware, you get the imropoved rig below.

But it still wasn't enough. The older model hard drive was vibrating horribly, and the way it was hardmounted was making pretty much the entire case shake. Time for some softmounting.

Having bought a spool of 1.8mm magic stretch, I began to thread it through the 5.25 drive cage.

View from the front:

To mount the drive, I twisted the two lines past each other. It's really quite secure.

A bit of cablegami later, all is finished.

Verdict:
Although the case is far from silent, it's vastly improved. Idle noise level is below the broadband whoosh of our house's HVAC, so most of the time the computer is unnoticeable. I was planning to possibly undervolt the fans or do some PSU modification, but according to my brother it's certainly quiet enough for him already. Suspending the hard drive lowered the case vibrations to very near null.
Overall, I'm calling this a success, given the curcumstances.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:12 pm

I like it, nice pictures too. And it's good to see some reuse for a change from all the new super-duper latest hitech stuff. Good for the environment too :-)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:54 am

Very nice. Next you could cover case and sides with biumen mat, self adhessive floor tiles or roofers tape. They will increase mass and help killing resonance and vibration.

but its really refreshing to see older hardware in good use and not just all the latest and "best" hardware.

davinski

Post by davinski » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Very nice job here :)

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:12 am

Good job indeed. What's the next loudest component now, PSU fan or CPU fan?

Zeroignite

Post by Zeroignite » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 am

Thank you so much for all the positive feedback, everyone.
thejamppa wrote:Very nice. Next you could cover case and sides with biumen mat, self adhessive floor tiles or roofers tape. They will increase mass and help killing resonance and vibration.
That would be the next step, but there are two problems. First, those would probably cost money; and second, I would have to cut out some new ventilation holes in the front. Based on the case's current design, I don't think that it would be easy to do so without a huge risk of ruining the chassis' already marginal aesthetics.
theycallmebruce wrote:What's the next loudest component now, PSU fan or CPU fan?
It's a toss-up. I think in absolute terms, the CPU fan is loudest, but it's noise signature is relatively inoffensive. On the other hand, the PSU fan has a rather high-pitched tonal element, and there may be significant coil whine.

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 pm

Well, sounds like you've met your objectives. Keep us posted if you change anything else.