Walnut wooden case (tons of pics!)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rushdie

Walnut wooden case (tons of pics!)

Post by Rushdie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi

A friend of mine asked me a couple of months back if I could build a new computer for him. I said sure, being the nice guy I am. After some debating on what components were needed, what could be salvaged and whatnot, the idea of using an small form factor was born. Now, since the guy is actually an carpenter this soon got out of hand completely. The final specs were an miniITX-based computer running a single 2.5" drive, no optical stuff, efficient cooling and a wooden case, in walnut.

In order to have something to mount the motherboard and HDD on, we salvaged an old computer, cut it into pieces and took (a part) of the motherboard mounting sheet.

All the cables were sleeved, the power were split just after the 5.5mm barrel connector into two 2x2 ATX12V. One provides power directly to the Pico-PSU, and the other to the 2x2 CPU power on the motherboard. The reason for this is that I wanted to keep the amount of current flowing through the Pico-PSU at a minimum to get lower temperatures.

(Click on the pics to get full size!)

After a cardboard mock up was done, a cheap MDF prototype was constructed.

This was used to measure more exact dimensions, the building of the final product was done with the corrected dimensions.

It's possible to mount any type of low-profile pci-e card in the case. It didn't require any extra space to have this functionality, so we thought we keep the possibility if better GPU-performance (or a TV-tuner) is needed in the future.

What's left to do now is another coat of oil (especially in the fan grill), and a wooden back plate to cover the IO-ports on the back side. This back plate will also hold the power button.

It might look dirty on some of the pictures... and that's because it is dirty. :) It was covered in wood dust.

Specs:
Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi
Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.13GHz, 4MiB L2)
4GiB RAM @ 667MHz CL4
250GB Seagate Momentus 5400.6
12V 150W PicoPSU-150-XT
FSP 12V 150W Brick

Temps & power:
Idle:
CPU: 45°C
GPU: 55°C

Full load (both cpu cores and GPU)
CPU: 55°C
GPU: 70°C
Power: 89W (measured at wall socket)

The fan on the Big Shuriken is running at a constant speed; the lowest possible setting in bios, ~780rpm.

I'll post some more pictures when the two crucial final parts (wooden back plate and power button) are finished and assembled.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm

Awesome.

Only one question about the power splitting. Does the pico offer any regulation of the 12V line, or does it just run it straight through? If it actually controlled it that would be one reason to use all power through it.

Otherwise, again, awesome looking :D

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Nice system! Very space efficient, I like how the 2.5" drive was mounted. :)

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:13 am

The HSF intake must have taken a lot of work! Unfortunately, it's blocking a lot of airflow.

Rushdie

Post by Rushdie » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:21 pm

psiu wrote:Awesome.

Only one question about the power splitting. Does the pico offer any regulation of the 12V line, or does it just run it straight through? If it actually controlled it that would be one reason to use all power through it.

Otherwise, again, awesome looking :D
Thanks alot!

The pico doesn't do any regulation on the 12V at all.

In fact, if you want to follow specs, the pico has some serious limitations. The 150W marking includes 8A on 12V, which isn't regulated. The rest limited to 30W on 5V and 20W on 3.3V. If you want to run it passive then the maximum is ~20W on 5V and 13W on 3.3W (according to the manual).

Another reason for running the 2x2 CPU power on a separate line before the pico is because cable management becomes easier.
frostedflakes wrote:Nice system! Very space efficient, I like how the 2.5" drive was mounted. :)
Yea, spent some time figuring out how to minimize it. The fact that the drive is almost the exact height (when standing on its side...) as the motherboard /w cpu-cooler was perfect.
HammerSandwich wrote:The HSF intake must have taken a lot of work! Unfortunately, it's blocking a lot of airflow.
It took some time, but not nearly as much as one might think. The airflow might have been hampered if a high flow fan was used. But the fan is rotating so slow that it really doesn't matter. The temperatures when running the computer inside the case are the same as running it outside, except for a 5°C increase on GPU temp during full load.

A second coat of oil (note the intake) and a template (in MDF) for the back. Don't worry, it will be cut in a 45° angle, so there will be no visible seam.

ThaArtist

Post by ThaArtist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Nice! I need to learn more about volts amps and watts and how they relate because i have no idea what you guys were talking about with the passive stuff etc.

RoGuE

Post by RoGuE » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:59 pm

ThaArtist wrote:Nice! I need to learn more about volts amps and watts and how they relate because i have no idea what you guys were talking about with the passive stuff etc.
In short: Voltage = Current * Resistance, and Power = Voltage * Current

as a mech engineer, I don't like to concern myself with much more detail than that when it comes to the witchcraft of EE.

To the OP, I'm not sure if I agree with the design of the CPU vent. Its good that you have some circular slots cut out for the scythe to breathe, but it's still pretty restrictive. I know you're trying to go for a nice look here, but IMO a melting cpu is worse than an ugly box :/ Of course, if temperatures simply aren't an issue, then no need to open it up more. I guess it all depends on how much you're going to ask from the cpu.

Nice job with it..looks good.

Rushdie

Post by Rushdie » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 am

RoGuE wrote:
ThaArtist wrote:Nice! I need to learn more about volts amps and watts and how they relate because i have no idea what you guys were talking about with the passive stuff etc.
In short: Voltage = Current * Resistance, and Power = Voltage * Current

as a mech engineer, I don't like to concern myself with much more detail than that when it comes to the witchcraft of EE.

To the OP, I'm not sure if I agree with the design of the CPU vent. Its good that you have some circular slots cut out for the scythe to breathe, but it's still pretty restrictive. I know you're trying to go for a nice look here, but IMO a melting cpu is worse than an ugly box :/ Of course, if temperatures simply aren't an issue, then no need to open it up more. I guess it all depends on how much you're going to ask from the cpu.

Nice job with it..looks good.
Thanks. :)

Hehe, seems like more than one is concerned about the intake. You might just not realize how low the airflow is with the Schyte running at 7-800rpm. Think of it like this: If you try to blow air through a straw at high pressure, it's going to restrict the airflow. But if the airflow is low enough, there will be no restriction ('compression' of the air), and the straw will do no difference. It's the same here; if I would run the fan at high rpm, the intake would restrict the airflow. But now the airflow is so low to begin with, that there will be little restriction. That's the reason why the temperatures are the same; running it inside or outside the case doesn't matter.

We have been discussing the power button... might go with a stainless/crome 'elevator' button like this one:
https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/webr ... b94d7a.jpg
Or just mount one of this in the back (to keep the visual sides clean):
https://www1.elfa.se/data1/wwwroot/webr ... df5d02.jpg

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:46 am

@Rushdie

Did you use a router to do the vents? If not you got some serious wood cutting skills man.

I also have a question that has to do with cutting wood. Do you think it`s possible to cut a 6mm panel @45 degrees? Any specific kind of wood that would make this easier?

Anyway, it looks fantastic so far! As for the intake restriction, if the cpu temperature is good that`s pretty much the end of the story.

hybrid2d4x4

Post by hybrid2d4x4 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Looks very nice! I'd recommend spending some time undervolting the CPU/stability testing, if you haven't done so already. I managed to trim ~5 deg C on my Q9450 by going from 'auto' to the lowest CPUv that was stable, ~0.2V less than auto.

Rushdie

Post by Rushdie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:58 pm

ntavlas wrote:@Rushdie

Did you use a router to do the vents? If not you got some serious wood cutting skills man.

I also have a question that has to do with cutting wood. Do you think it`s possible to cut a 6mm panel @45 degrees? Any specific kind of wood that would make this easier?

Anyway, it looks fantastic so far! As for the intake restriction, if the cpu temperature is good that`s pretty much the end of the story.
Yea, used a CNC machine to cut the vents.

I guess most wood types can be cut at 45°. All the sides on this one is cut at a 45° angle, and I think the thickness is 3mm of walnut, and 3mm of MDF. Not sure about that though. (except the back, which is made completely out of walnut)

hybrid2d4x4 wrote:Looks very nice! I'd recommend spending some time undervolting the CPU/stability testing, if you haven't done so already. I managed to trim ~5 deg C on my Q9450 by going from 'auto' to the lowest CPUv that was stable, ~0.2V less than auto.
Can't be done, Zotac doesn't support uv on any components on their / this ITX board.

Anyhow, more pics!:

ishi

Post by ishi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Last edited by ishi on Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rushdie

Post by Rushdie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:15 am

ishi wrote:Cool,

Similar to my old case :)

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/be5 ... 2fc17.html
That's another nice case. Do you got some more pictures or a build log perhaps? I'm really curious about how it looks on the back side (and the inside, for that matter).
klankymen wrote:
RoGuE wrote:dear?
He's just a spambot/spamindian, the post should be deleted soon.
HAHA, spamindian. Hilarious. (Actually, it quite sad that people get 'paid' to lurk around spam protected forums and post (badly) hidden ads... )

[Mod edit: the spammer is gone, and I'll just leave this vestige of the results...]