NSK3480, I5-750, Now a Hackintosh

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:29 am

Thank you. That information was very helpful.

Strid

Post by Strid » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks! 39 watts is not too bad for a quad core, even if it's headless!

diver

Post by diver » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:03 am

About a month ago I bought a MacBook Pro 13' notebook for my wanderings. It seems I took to OS X very well and started to think about turning my system into a Hackintosh. I found this site that shows how to do it:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

It turns out that the author built a system with the same motherboard that I have and a relatively vanilla Nvidia video card. His Multibeast video was useful as an exact guide. I followed his guide exactly, except starting with a retail 10.6.3 DVD and not doing the custom install. The only issue I encountered is that it is necessary to check all the boxes on the energy saver preference panel to enable sleep without a reboot on wake. For systems that are overclocked they recommend enabling all of the advanced CPU features, especially EIST. I had already done that. Testing with the Intel linpack benchmark yielded the same results in Win 7 64 bit and OS X 10.6.4.

The system is now dual boot with Win 7 64-bit on a separate drive.

Everything works, although the machine idles about 6C over ambient whereas before it was 1c over ambient. the Kill-A-Watt says its using about 5 more watts at idle. Power management works, It simply cannot reach the lowest state.