Antec 300 on its way to silence and performance

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:27 am

Is that OCZ PSU silent?

coolhand

Post by coolhand » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:41 pm

As far as i can tell, I cant hear it from 6 inches away, i have to put my ear up to the exhaust, the 135mm fan makes a difference for sure.. NCIX always has these on sale... I like mine so far.

Im now looking at a FT02 case the antec is about as silent as i can get it, but i want more. Its just hard to drop $220.00 for a case

Deucal

Post by Deucal » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:21 am

How about removing the GPU fan and just put one or two 120mm fans there blowing straight at the gpu heatsink?

coolhand

Post by coolhand » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:53 am

for the noisey 5750 (i Have 2 in Crossfire) it seems to be my only option, when i stop the bottom GPU Fan the case is silent, ive tried a dab 3in1 oil with no luck, I havent been able to find aftermarket solutions either. One day there will be an option, (i suppose i could take the fan off and zapstrap a 100-120mm fan in its place.

Update:
New Corsair SSD Reactor 60GB (boot Drive)
New WD 640GB Black x 2 in Raid 0 for storage (only spins up when i access the drives so no noise unless i need something)
Old Samsung F1 640GB Extra Storage.

Some may say having the Mechanical drives defeats the purpose of silencing, but i needed Storage, for the most part its redundant, all processing is done on the SSD (what a difference) and the Samsung Drive is Unpluged but installed.

coolhand

Post by coolhand » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 pm

New update, 3 Kingston 64GB SSD's in raid 0, As OS and Application HDD
the 2 WD 640 blacks are storage that i move my DL and media to after i start to fill the 170+GB of sweet sweet SSD space i have.

Hangfire

Post by Hangfire » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:58 pm

mikk wrote:I wasn't very impressed with the 300 case as a whole. I've found much cheaper cases that do a better job.

viewtopic.php?t=54636
I found the Three Hundred a good gamer's case, not too flashy, very sturdy, especially compared to just about any other model in its price range, including the Two Hundred.

It is not really a Silencer's case per se, but it is good raw material to be made into reasonably Quiet performance case, if you don't mind the effort. For a very, very quiet case you're better off starting with something made for that market.

I see you got a bad fan. I got more recent models with good fans and the CPU window, and created my own cable management holes.

I like coolhand's vented bay covers. I am thinking of doing that myself, especially in front of my suspended HDD. If it ends up letting HDD noise out, I can always find put an original one back, or put a baffle in there.

-HF