SFF power

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aardwark

SFF power

Post by aardwark » Sun May 09, 2010 1:16 am

Hi everyone.
Been reading the forums for quite a while now, very impressed with all the rigs. Decided to post my brother's PC that I've mostly built over time.

It's built in an AOpen low profile case, a bit older model (don't know the exact name), but mostly identical to the H360A

On the component front, it's based on a Gigabyte GA-8I945GMMFY-RH mATX motherboard that takes socket 479 mobile CPUs (Merom and Yonah supported), paired up with an Intel T7400 mobile CPU.
The memory is a pair of 1 GB 667 MHz Kingston Value sticks.
Storage-wise, it's currently running an old 160GB Seagate drive, but will probably be replaced with with and SSD at some time in the near future.
The loudest part in the whole thing is the old IDE optical drive, but since it only gets used about twice a month, it's not that critical to replace.
The most recent addition is a Sapphire Radeon 5570 - a card that's completely surprised me with how well it performs while being a low profile card. Serious power in such a small card, and the fan isn't buzzy at all.
The CPU fan started rattling a few days ago, so it's been replaced with a new Sharkoon branded one (had to track down longer screws, since the original gigabyte one was thinner).

All in all, it's a fairly quiet rig in day to day use, and I seriously can't hear it during the day time with anything happening in the room :)

Will post a couple pics once I get enough posts to be able to ;)

Edit:
Some pictures of the rig:

Last edited by aardwark on Sun May 09, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 09, 2010 1:23 am

I can post them 4 ya. PM me with the URL's.

aardwark

Post by aardwark » Sun May 09, 2010 1:37 am

Posted some pics. Thanks very much for the offer, BlackWhizz! :)

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Sun May 09, 2010 3:28 am

Hows the PSU? i have one of those cases (and hardware, thanks school :D) but the psu is loudd.

aardwark

Post by aardwark » Sun May 09, 2010 3:37 am

The fan in the PSU is a bit loud, but because of the placement of the case between the desk and a sofa, you can hardly even hear it. The heat it produces at full load (prime95+furmark) is a bit bigger issue, so I'm looking around to replace the PSU with something a bit cooler :)

zodaex

Post by zodaex » Mon May 10, 2010 7:45 pm

OMG that looks so loud. teehee.

aardwark

Post by aardwark » Tue May 11, 2010 6:07 am

It's actually quite surprising how something with such tiny little fans can be so inaudible in most cases :)