Silent HTPC build (Silverstone ML06B case, Intel i3)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

qualdoth

Silent HTPC build (Silverstone ML06B case, Intel i3)

Post by qualdoth » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey folks,

I know many of you enjoy build posts, so I've put together a quick post regarding my latest build, a replacement for my old HTPC. This build will be mostly used for playing media from my NAS as well as streaming. I've left a little bit of a window open for some future light gaming if need be, but that's not much of a concern. Now for some details.

Parts
CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: *Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: *Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.65 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($35.00)
Case: Silverstone ML06B HTPC Case ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($66.49 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-R8 PWM 31.4 CFM 80mm Fan ($16.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: *Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan ($19.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $544.60

As you can likely see, the above prices are in $CAD. The SSD price looks weird as it was one of those deals where a substantial rebate was being applied, which PC Partpicker wasn't considering, so I've updated it to provide a post-rebate price. At the time of ordering, I think the parts were actually a few dollars cheaper than $540.

Now for some build photos.

Parts 1: As you can see, I was a big Noctua fan for this build.

Parts 2: Case and SFX power supply

Noctua Fan: I can't get over the fantastic build quality of Noctua products and their packaging. Figured anyone who hasn't used them might find this interesting.

Silverstone ML06B HTPC Case internals: I was quite happy with the build quality and design of the ML06B. I chose this model as opposed to the baseline ML06 (reviewed on this site) to get the more attractive aluminum faceplate.

Motherboard with installed CPU and Noctua NH-L9i HSF:

Everything installed, cables organized: As you can see, lots of room for a basic HTPC build with plenty of room for airflow. If you look carefully you'll notice that I didn't even bother using the 120mm fan I had purchased. It would have been mounted directly over the CPU and frankly, would have been overkill. I'll just reuse it in another build.

All finished:

Findings

I've been using this machine for a couple of weeks now and I've got to say, I'm extremely happy. I'm able to control all the fans with Asus Fan Xpert 2 and have set up sensible profiles. While playing media, CPU utilization stays quite low, as such, temperatures stay low, and fans stay quiet. Even when the HTPC isn't playing any media, it's silent. I could have probably saved a little bit more money on the motherboard and CPU (ie, used a Pentium G3258) but in the end, I wanted more reliable parts and wished the machine to be more future proof (my last HTPC I used for over 6 years).

CA_Steve

Re: Silent HTPC build (Silverstone ML06B case, Intel i3)

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Congrats on your build!

BTW, clicking on your images leads to a Yahoo login screen. Maybe you could just load the pics here?

qualdoth

Post by qualdoth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:37 am

Ah yes, probably because I have the images set as private on my Flickr stream. I'll see if there's a way of fixing that (without making the shots public, heh). I was initially going to attach the images to my post, but there seems to be a limit of 3 attachments, hence why I went the hosted route.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:46 am

Nice, I'm thinking of building something similar. I'd be very interested in power consumption figures if you have them.

qualdoth

Post by qualdoth » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 pm

I haven't measured anything, but PCPartPicker indicates a maximum draw of 113W. Obviously, playing media would be nowhere near that.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:47 pm

54W TDP CPU and maybe 40W for everything else. So, closer to 94W with stressed load rather than 113W.

qualdoth

Post by qualdoth » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:24 am

CA_Steve wrote:54W TDP CPU and maybe 40W for everything else. So, closer to 94W with stressed load rather than 113W.
Agreed, I think PCPartPicker is probably pretty pessimistic about additional power draws beyond the CPU.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 pm

Or, they are allowing for massive amounts of USB ports used to charge devices. :D