WorkMi: Fractal Design Define R6 + AMD TR1950x

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

WorkMi: Fractal Design Define R6 + AMD TR1950x

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 am

Well been working on this build for some time, from bad mobo, memory compatibilty among other things, with working trips in between took a long time to finish. The build is more oriented to be a workstation, a dedicated capture/streaming/rendering pc. Still its not fully finished GPU needs to be updated as for now has a placeholder and to get 2 more hdd caddy to be able to mount the Raid10 with the raid card. This time was a little harder to build than with the R4 and R5, most of the build was easy, what makes it more difficult is the power supply shroud, its key to know the cables and placed them before on the modular psu, as its hard to plug them later on, even PSU is not fully settled on the mount so putting to much force worries me, so i connected all and pull them when passing through the PSU from the back, but takes a long time with sata cables and all the other power cables tangling along the fans and walls, that said the rest of the case is very nice, a very nice upgrade over the R4 that was currently using, specially the cablemangement.

The components of the build
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Mobo: ASRock X399 TAICHI
Memory: 2x G.SKILL FlareX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GFX
GPU: MSI GT1030 Fanless (slot holder until new gpus get released)
Capture card: ElGato 4k60Pro (not installed atm, its being moded)
SSD1: Samsung 960EVO 500GB (OS and programs)
SSD2: Intel Optane SSD 900P 480GB (editing)
HDDs: 8x Seagate 4TB 5400rpm (ST4000DM000) (left by the storage server, still need 2 caddy to mount them).
Raid card: LSI MEGARAID SAS 9271-8I (not installed until i can mount the hdds).
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 860 (re using the psu that was on my main pc).
Intake Fans: 4x BeQuiet! SILENTWINGS 3 140mm PWM BL067 + GELID PWM Fan Power Splitter (CA-PWM-03 PWM)
Heatsink: Noctua NH-U14 TR4
CPU Fan: 2x Thermalright TY147B
Outake Fan: Thermalright TY147B

I'll update it later on with some temperatures, i leave you some pics of the the build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Re: WorkMi: Fractal Design Define R6 + AMD TR1950x

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:13 am

Pretty. :)

I look forward to temp testing...one special request: with minimal fans/fans off, stress test the gpu. I'm curious as to the passive cooling efficiency of the MSI card.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:49 am

CA_Steve wrote:I look forward to temp testing.
Atm still stress testing and setting the bios fan control curves, will post later on.
CA_Steve wrote:one special request: with minimal fans/fans off, stress test the gpu. I'm curious as to the passive cooling efficiency of the MSI card.
Good you ask for this now as the fan settings weren't finalized so change to 30% PWM steady without any increasing or decreasing according to temps, im not comfortable with 0 airflow, but the case fans are spinning at sub 300rpms (barely any airflow). I ran the latest Furmark like 10 min, more than anything will load the the gpu, and i stopped it at 91C, it started stabilizing at 80C but no signs of stopping, maybe around 100C or so, but didnt want to reach that high. That said, idle, moving watching even probably gaming it will never reach this high, usually idles around 40C.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:45 am

I manage to finish testing, somewhat as not all components are inside like a new gpu and not considering the hdds that will impede the airflow somewhat, also are going to increase the power draw, but here are the results as the build is atm, with the fans setup to aim not to hit 68C (where TR loses the turbos), while that temperature was not reached, there are a lot of factors to consider like was a 22C ambient, while on the day you reach close to 30C so i have to leave some safety margin.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Abula, I'm really curious, have you tried using only the vent/mesh part on top of the Fractal Define R6 case?

Do you happen to notice if it's louder without the sound damping roof part?