MiniMiv3: i7 8700K + GTX1080Ti + RVZ03 + SST-NJ450-SXL

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

MiniMiv3: i7 8700K + GTX1080Ti + RVZ03 + SST-NJ450-SXL

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Finally finished the build, this is by far the hardest build i have ever done, its really hard to plan and specially to build on such a small case, sadly its not really quiet enough for me on load, but it might be fine, once i load iracing/asseto corza/rfactor2 and test it while gaming will decide if it will be used to rebuild on an SST-LD01.

Lots of planning needs to get involved to try to fit the biggest cpu cooler, for example only AsRock CPU socket placement matches the RVZ03 case fan opening, i also tried Cryriog C1 and it matches around 70% while the noctua NH-L12S is almost a perfect match (its just couple of mm off). One thing that i don't understand still about the RVZ03 is that Silverstone webpage states 83mm as the maximum CPU cooler height, the NH-L12 is 70mm (with the fan on bottom), technically you only have 13mm left but you still can fit a NF-A12x15 PWM which measures 15mm (you still have a mm or two).

The GPU is where i kinda mess up, i knew the EVGA was not the quietest of the GTX1080Ti, but i expected the NF-A15x25 PWM to help out the card and somewhat help it not to ramp up too much, and to some point is true, but you need the NF-A12x25 above 1400rpms to not allow the EVGA GTX1080Ti not to go above 2k rpms where it goes supersonic, its still very noticeable at 1700rpms and its tone is not pleasant but thats how it is, i might do some more test into ramping higher the Noctuas, i feel even at 1600rpms they are much more tolerable than the EVGA fans. Fitting the card is really hard on the case, the great thing about it is that its one of the few 2 slots, but its very tall, making it a ritual the way you need to install it, at first i though it wouldn't fit, the power connectors (if you have the one that have dual it wont fit), you need to make them almost flat to allow the card to fit, and even then they touch the top of the case, that said, i dissemble the build so many times to do testing with filters and without, with fan pushing air or pulling that its fairly easy to install it for me now, but the first time took like 30mins no joking. Its very likely that another gpu might be better, one thing that i would like to try is a 2.5 slot card and change the two intake fans to Noctua NF-A12x15, i feel a beefier card might work better.

The biggest challenge on the build is cable management, its best to have custom cable, although if you dont use sata power you can fit something like SeaSonic Focus Platinum 550W (you can do any of the line since they are 140mm) and there is enough room to fit the cables, you will have to have an order to maximize the little space. Sadly mine the fan came defective and had a ticking noise, so decided to try out the new silverstone fanless and it helps a lot since the cables are shorter and the PSU is smaller allowing more space to place cables. Things like the memory, you will be able to fit anything close to standard profile, without heastinks the NH-L12S can fit any memory, but with heatsinks i only found Corsair vengeance to fit and even then the fan outside frame is touching.

The building its really a process that needs order, everything has to be done in certain order or else it doesn't fit or you wont be able to install something, there were lots of tries into how to route cables like IO or USB2 to route the internal dongles inside the case, 4pin extensions to reach the fans, RGB cables etc, lots of planning has to be done, and believe me to me its not worth the trouble, but i did enjoy building it.

Here is a the list of components that were used,
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 DT
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200
Case: Silverstone RVZ03
PSU: SilverStone SST-NJ450-SXL
Intake GPU Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Intake CPU Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM
Heatsink: Noctua NH-L12S

And some pictures, if you have any questions let me know,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abula

Re: MiniMiv3: i7 8700K + GTX1080Ti + RVZ03 + SST-NJ450-SXL

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 pm

More pictures =P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:46 pm

What drove the case form factor?

Hey, at least the CPU temps are fine :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:26 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Hey, at least the CPU temps are fine :)
Yea, i admire your positive pov =P, although at 1400rpms the 2x NF-A12x15 PWM are very noticieble and loud, the problem is not the CPU, as no game will ever load the cpu like that, its much more likely the scenario of Heaven4 into where the CPU is sustained fairly low at a max of 60C, i can relax the fans even more, but ill do that when i can test real gaming for long periods, but i firmly believe it wont have an issue here, the problem is the GPU, and sadly the gpu needs to drive 3x 2560x1440@144fps, it will be loaded fully most of the time, its hard to cool the GPU, specially the EVGA past 1500rpm is noticeble, but past 2000rpms goes ballistik, its not as quiet as MSI.... i might give a shot to a MSI RTX2080ti Duke, i cant go for the asus strix as i need 3xDP ='(, but the thickness of the GPU will probably force me change the NF-A12x25 for NF-A12x15 or Prolimatech Ultra slim vortex 120.
CA_Steve wrote:What drove the case form factor?
I need to place the PC inside Sanus Systems AFA Accurate Furniture Audio Stand (horizonatally), the top slot will have the streaming PC, and most of the HTPC cases are not that friendly on airflow, most cant fit towers o big gpus or dont have frontal fans, etc.

Once i saw Gamers Nexus A Proper MITX Case: SilverStone RVZ03 Mini-ITX Review, i was very curious into how quiet with high end components could it end up. In theory its not a bad idea that the case becomes so good because of the direct airlfow to the components, but in reality i chose a GPU that its not quiet and needs a lot of cooling.

Will see in a month or two how it behaves, i like the build, but the outcome on noisy is too much, but i gotta test with iracing, asseto corza competizione and rfactor2, upon how it behaves there, ill decide if i need to move to LD01 (its an micro ATX case) that still fits horizontally under the AV shelf and that has direct fan cooling to the GPU, kinda like my corsair air740.

teodoro

Post by teodoro » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:55 pm

I certainly appreciate this insight. I have very similar hardware in a Fractal Design Meshify C mini but I'm interested in downsizing the form factor. My MSI Gaming 1080ti stays cool enough (~73c at ~1300rpm/50% in Heaven) and I'm hoping to maintain that noise level going forward. The ultra mini sandwich style cases (Dan A4, etc.) are 2 slot gpu limited, though, which really only leaves the two/three fan EVGA cards as options. Do you think your GPU temperatures are related to inefficient exhaust in that case? If that card were run with the side panel off and/or on an open bench, how low do you think the fans could spin while achieving similar (mid 70s) temps? Your results in the RVZ03 make me doubt I'd be able to hit my current noise levels with a 2 slot restriction (and 1080ti+ heat).

Only tangentially related but seems as good a place as any to ask: relative to your MSI Gaming 1080 at ~50% fan speed, how fast (or not fast) could your FTW3 1080 TI and Strix 1080 ti fans spin?

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:39 pm

teodoro wrote:Do you think your GPU temperatures are related to inefficient exhaust in that case?
Could be, but its not that inefficient, there is a lot of air that goes on the top holes, and also a lot of hot air comes out on the PCIe slot and holes around it, the two NF-A12x25 at 1400rpms introduce a lot of air that goes out by pressure, i think the GPU gets enough air, but the load is high and the GPU is not the best in terms of noise (MSI is much better but there are not 2 slot on 1080ti with 3xDP), one thing that could be is the case fans are making it harder to the GPU fans, but the more rpms on the case fans the less temps and less noise the GPU fans do.
teodoro wrote:If that card were run with the side panel off and/or on an open bench, how low do you think the fans could spin while achieving similar (mid 70s) temps?
Its likely, i seen test on this card by reviewers and not reaching 2000rpms on the GPU on an open bench.
teodoro wrote:Your results in the RVZ03 make me doubt I'd be able to hit my current noise levels with a 2 slot restriction (and 1080ti+ heat).
on the Ncase M1, maybe opt for the EVGA cards becuase of the 2 slot design, many remove the GPU shroud and fans and leave it open to 120mm fans placed on the bottom, although i never built on it, its probably a better solution.
teodoro wrote:Only tangentially related but seems as good a place as any to ask: relative to your MSI Gaming 1080 at ~50% fan speed, how fast (or not fast) could your FTW3 1080 TI and Strix 1080 ti fans spin?
This is a very hard question to answer, you will have to have the three gpus and test them on the same setup and run them under the same conditions and load. The Asus was suppose to be quieter, specially if you flash to the official asus quiet vbios (but you will run higher temps), the EVGA will run hotter and noiser under the same load to the MSI, how much its hard to guess. Overall if you are looking for another, i steer you toward the ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX OC 11 GB Review, given that you probably not looking into the Tis, there is a Asus ROG RTX2080 STRIX of the same card that also has the same switch with the vbios to quiet, and since its a lower tdp card than the ti versions its very likely that you will have lower temps or rpms, so overall i would say that card would be my direction if you dont want to run the MSI GTX1080ti. But its a 2.5 card that probably might need slimmer fans on the NCase M1 and on the Dan Case im not sure it would fit.

teodoro

Post by teodoro » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:14 am

I had an unexpected opportunity to snag a Gigabyte 2080 Windforce OC for under MSRP and jumped on it. This is the strict 2-slot, three fan, lowest clock speed model that Gigabyte offers. I'm actually rather impressed with the cooler. With stock settings it's about 4-5 degrees warmer than my MSI 1080ti (which certainly isn't apples-to-apples) in Heaven, pushing about 1500 rpm (~50%). Unscientifically, that's about the same noise as the MSI card at ~1300 rpm. The Gigabyte card at about 1850 rpm (60%) is what I would call acceptably not quiet and beyond that it's too noisy for my liking. I can see how a beefier heatsink would help performance as the clock rate will drop from ~1930mhz to 1840mhz once it reaches temperature steady state, though I also haven't overclocked it yet. Considering the deal I got I'm pretty happy with it.

In the RVZ03 I'm betting a 2.5 slot cooler would probably be your best option, and the Strix model does seem to lead the pack. Considering how my card sounds, though, I'm betting the Gigabyte 2.5 model (Gaming OC) would be similarly good while saving a few bucks.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:17 pm

teodoro wrote:In the RVZ03 I'm betting a 2.5 slot cooler would probably be your best option, and the Strix model does seem to lead the pack. Considering how my card sounds, though, I'm betting the Gigabyte 2.5 model (Gaming OC) would be similarly good while saving a few bucks.
Glad you manage to snag a new RTX2080, i havent been so lucky, checking multiple times a day, but the Tis are getting camped. I do think the Asus seems the best of all, but more so because asus decided to do a switchable vbios, and for people looking for quiet computing, i think its a smart move, as long as you got good airflow i think you cant beat it, that said, the MSI Duke is the one that i seen second at 2db from the Asus (and since the Asus has only 2dp, its the best choice i have atm)... so thats what ill give a shot on the ITX setup. Will see in the upcoming weeks.

MojiHex

Post by MojiHex » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm

may I ask what are the exact dimensions of your GPU? im going to use an MSI GTX 1070ti Gaming G and hopefully fit in two 25mm noctuas like you did. im just not sure if your card or my card is larger. if mine is larger i might have to go for the 15mm fans

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:45 pm

MojiHex wrote:may I ask what are the exact dimensions of your GPU? im going to use an MSI GTX 1070ti Gaming G and hopefully fit in two 25mm noctuas like you did. im just not sure if your card or my card is larger. if mine is larger i might have to go for the 15mm fans
The EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3 was sold last week ='( but i still have the specs on it.

EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 DT = 300mm (length) x 143mm (height) x 35mm (width, this is what i measured but might be 41 that seems to be the standard of dual PCI slot).

Now i still own a MSI GTX1080 Gaming X, which should be very similar to your 1070Ti in specs,

MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G = 279mm (length) x 140mm (height) x 42 (width).

If those are your specs, it should fit, but it will be tight on the height, you will need cables that can be comb to the sides, as it will touch the top, but i was able to install it fine, you will have to giggle it some, recommend not to use those 2x8 pin single cables, its too thick on the top, single side or even dual but using the second one works out.

Good luck,

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm

I simply couldnt stand the RVZ03 noise wise, so the switch was made, it was kinda hard since i never saw a HTPC case that i liked in terms of airflow, so decided to go with horizontal case but with some rubber bumepers to the side, ended up working out well, most of the hardware was simply moved on like mothebroard, CPU, memory, bought some TY147B and TY147ASQ and the new MiniMi is born, the MSI RTX2080 Ti Duke isnt as quiet as the Asus RTX2080Ti Strix but out of not having 3xDP this is good enough, the tone of MSI fans is pretty decent. The onlything challenging of the build is installing the motherboard with the SilverArrow, but wasnt as hard as working on the RVZ03, which i still think its can work out on a quiet build but not with such hot components. I leave you some pics.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:54 am

No problems with bumpers holding weight on glass side?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:28 pm

CA_Steve wrote:No problems with bumpers holding weight on glass side?
I was worried also, but the glass goes over the frame or the skeleton of the case (where the chassis crosses vertical and horizontal, its not the front totally its like 3 inches inside), so i placed the two frontal there and i tried to placed the back two near the corners where there is more metal to spread the pressure, also the tempered glass is not doing contact directly with the case, there are metal strips on the full side of the edge, and thats what really contacts the chassis, so in essence the pressures is spreading more than just near the bumps.

I don't think it will break, but who knows over time, but it was that or to mount a wall mount for the case, and then i could have gone atx, yet i do like the looks once the Pre Pro and amps are mounted on the rack, it should look more in line with the way AV components look.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 pm

cool beans.