Blasphemy... 7 fans?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

orionlion82

Blasphemy... 7 fans?

Post by orionlion82 » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:22 pm

well, im compiling a list of components to buy for my next project, and ive decided on the Thermaltake Xaser III V100D Full tower cabinet, comes with Hardcano 4 channel fan cont. and 7 80mm case fans...
now this may just sound rediculus - but inside it will have an asus pu-dl (dualie - xenon) and the Turbo Cool 510 power supply...in addition to a mess of internal components ive been collecting for years...is this appropriate for the monster i am about to create, or is it just too much (might consider the 2x 120mm route instead)...

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:12 pm

You're buying a bulk box of foam earplugs too, right?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:01 am

I'm guessing you mean the V1000D.

Seven "ultra-silent" 30dBA fans *cough* The datasheet says 21 dB though.

The fan holder part suggests some kind of cage to hold the fan. Not a good idea from a noise perspective (rattles).

I can't tell much more - the TT site photos suck. My initial impression - this is going to be a pretty noisy case.

orionlion82

Post by orionlion82 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:13 am

Yes sir - the V1000D... the rig seems good for my uses and i can allways do some passive cooling (unplug the fans and whatnot - do some plumbing) and have the radiator and fan and pump in the other room or something - but i do lots of really high I/O so quiet is an important - but secondary concern... heh, i figured this topic would be a bit like blasting gas in church...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:10 am

orionlion82 wrote:heh, i figured this topic would be a bit like blasting gas in church...
Yeas, you're right about that.

I'd suggest reading the articles on the main site. paying attention to the "Recommended Components" articles. There's also stickies on top of most forums that contain lots of good advise.

I'd read thhrough all of that to get a very good understanding of the basics of quiet computing. That may tend to lead you down a different path than your current one.

orionlion82

Post by orionlion82 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:13 pm

well, as unfortunate as it may seem quiet computing is beginning to lookmore and more like a fantasy in terms of the equipment i need to do the job, and the equipment that the equipment that would be *so much better for my ears and sanity* ive been getting some very valuable info and feedback around here - much appreciated.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:33 pm

What exactly are you going to put in your computer? If you plan on filling your tower case with old 16x CD-ROM's and 20GB hard drives that you've been collecting for years, well, that seems kind of silly. It's not at all impossible to have a quiet dual-CPU system. Dual Xeons will generate a lot of heat, of course, but you just have to be creative. Off-the-shelf solutions might not do the trick in their stock form, but a quick trip to the hardware store and a little handywork can fix that--just look at what Bluefront has done. Good heatsinks, in combination with a little ducting and cutting, should be all you need to get the noise level down to a reasonable level. People here are running 2.X-GHz machines with no fan on the CPU, just a ducted heatsink.

You might also want a case with better ventilation in front and fewer holes on the side and top. Those are the worst places for fans to be, both from a noise and a cooling perspective. Plus, that fan controller looks to be a PWM model, which might not be the best choice, and knowing TT, it probably only ranges from ~8-12V.

orionlion82

Post by orionlion82 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:54 pm

well, Silly it is!, but from all ive learned about noise damping around these parts, im going to be up to my ears in little rubber washers,foam padding, and bits of stuffing...im sure im doing things the hard way... i have for a good while now... my current computer, "Frobnitz" is allready a frankenstiens moster of parts from the last 3 computers ihe owned / scavenged, and my next one "the westminster project" ehh, well call her "Abby" is going to be 3X more difficult than my other builds... but im up for the challenge...

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:30 am

LOL, I hope you can bring your creation to life! Take some pictures, maybe you can compete with crisspy for the honor of owning the "most bizarre computing creation"!

orionlion82

Post by orionlion82 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:06 pm

allmost 1 year later!
i decided against a dually, and i cant remember why (price?)
what i now have is project Knossos - now complete. i can underclock and kill all the fans except the for the PSU and idle the stock P4 cooler and go on my merry way, or overclock 20% crank the fans and zoom through whatever in a rock solid manner. (if it diddnt weigh 80lbs it might fly away)

orionlion82

Post by orionlion82 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:26 pm

the saga continues:
specs: TT Xaser III black with window (blowhole cut through lexan with soldering pencil, stock grille cut out around the edges, not enough flow)
asus P4P800 deluxe
P4 2.8 HT, stock cooler
2GB crucial ram
cheapo 500W PSU (its out to get me) 11.73, 4.89, 2.85, 1.52
stock CONFIG, -at idle, fans idle
oh and the 7 TTfans, 1 drop in card cooler for AGP(really noisy)
1 90mm fan for circulation throughout the case (really helps, i dont think TT is good with airflow.)
other standard components are frainkenstiened from other machines
i think my total cost (after buying new copy of windows because it thought it was being bootlegged with the HW change)
and a new bios chip (bad flash) (beware of the asus "flash from inside windows utility" it is too good to be true, as well as the so called "crash free bios")
was about $1250
but just hardware was $998 (?)
the 2GB of high end ram was worth $400, even though theres a new kind of ram out allready.

orionlion82

Post by orionlion82 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:43 pm

i learned a few things, and i have a few thank yous for people offering their advice on this thread.i appreciate it even more now.

my conclusions are that you guys were right about the TT case, and ive found its got really bad airflow considering the hurricane i can create in it when i OC, or for gaming, CAD, photo and AV editing and the like. it CAN be quiet (quiet ish for SPCR standards) but i wish i had found a nice big cheap case with less fans and better flow.
the case works for me for now, untill i find the above mentioned case and cough up the funds. allso i got bitten my lack of funding and was forced into NOT getting the PC P&C PSU, and now im trying to weasel my way out of dropping more $ on another PSU (see my posts in PSU section something about low voltage through the house...)
ill search some threads for PSU's and cases tomarrow, and ill get some pics sent in as soon as i take them and figure out how to post.
once again, my gratitude to you all.

calam63

Post by calam63 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:57 pm

wait why are you running dual xeons? have you thought about the opteron?

orionlion82

Post by orionlion82 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:00 pm

no, no, see above im running a P4 2.8 with HT. maybe someday ill get a dually, ht is enough for me for now, before i get a dually, id like to build small, slow and silent, and before that id like to get rid of my TT case for Knossos I and better psu..., but duallie someday.
whats the difference between xenon and opteron?
is it intel VS amd
or is it equivelant to pentium VS celeron, in the dually world
or the high end amd duallies VS lowend AMD duallies? - lost me there.