Lead. Hey, It's kinda cheap.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Lead. Hey, It's kinda cheap.

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:45 pm

Ok, I love this website, www.soundproofing.org.

Well, I noticed something. They sell lead sheets. Now, I know lead causes brain damage, but it seems like this place considers it high up on the soundproofing ladder. This website and the on the phone tech people are AWESOME. I really wouldnt go with another company. I dont care if something is pre-cut or is whatever, this place is hardcore sound deadening freak heaven. So, on their site they say that lead is a great soundproofing material. I guess it is. All I know is that it transfers heat ok, is thin, thats good, and would be kick-butt to say, "hey, I have lead shielding on my computer"

I am unsure as to why no one here in recent months has mentioned its usage?
I have to call them next week during the day, cant normally at work. It would be interesting to see how good lead is at blocking sound.

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:31 pm

You certainly wouldn't want to use it on a PC for taking to LAN parties! :lol:

Actually it would make a great joke, getting people to try to pick it up! :shock:

andywww

Post by andywww » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:44 pm

This website is pretty cool. Its kind of over the top with its formatting though.

The lead isn't as impractical weightwise as you'd think, its a lb per sq. ft. But, i'm not sure it'll be a huge improvement over steel panels since its intended to block sound and not absorb.

The soundproofing liquid (aluminum cases?) stop reverberant noise?
and the soundabsorbing mats are pretty intriguing though.

*eyes fridge* they've also got some interesting plans for quieting fridges...maybe its time I got to work on that :)

alglove

Post by alglove » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:35 am

Lead, I love it! Actually, I can see how this would be a good soundproofing material. It is both very dense and relatively soft. In college, one of my friends actually had a lead brick leftover from the construction of a synchotron. That thing was heavy. :o

I think the ultimate LAN rig would be to have a lead case with mercury cooling. If the grey-on-grey color scheme is too dreary (or reminds you too much of Dell), you can also give it some cadmium red highlights.

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:57 pm

Oooh, that's beginning to sound like a bit of a death trap! :shock:

dano

Post by dano » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:37 pm

Mass loaded vinyl is also a pound per square foot, and according to some (maybe that one not sure) sites it is more effective than lead. Just looking at densities though they would be about the same. Plus its not a poison and it is probably (dont know from experiance) easier to install.

Edit: spelling

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:01 pm

How about an arsenic bezel...

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:22 pm

Arsenic wouldn't be the greatest building material.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:28 pm

dano wrote:Mass loaded vinyl is also a pound per square foot, and according to some (maybe that one not sure) sites it is more effective than lead. Just looking at densities though they would be about the same. Plus its not a poison and it is probably (dont know from experiance) easier to install.

Edit: spelling
Personally, I'd rather have lead sheets than vinyl in my house. Solid lead has little health risk, while vinyl burned in a low temperature fire (such as a house fire) will release highly toxic dioxins.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:22 pm

well, it cant be as dense as lead. However it can weigh more per sheet. the mass loaded vinyl is 1/4 inch sheets for computing uses, the lead is 1/64th of an inch thick, yet still is mega heavy.

I would love to see what that MLV with its foam outer layer would be like stuck on top of the lead sheeting, that would stop all sound I would guess.