New Antec cases being shown at CES on pcmag.com

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Mumrik

Re: European retailers?

Post by Mumrik » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:37 pm

Raymond wrote:
spiffy102 wrote:
Raymond wrote:And better yet: it's also appearing on some european pages (dutch pages specifically).
Where? I want one yesterday, but I cant find a european retailer!
So far, I've only seen them available for pre-order at Dutch stores.

Not that odd, I believe their European destribution center is in Holland, at least that was where my old SX-830 came from....

idiot

Post by idiot » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:02 pm

FYI:

I e-mailed Techonweb.com several times and asked for an ETA on the P180. One person told me that there was no ETA, and another told me that their ETA was 6-30-05. This is just a heads up for those who are sitting on a pre-order list. I've already cancelled with them and placed an order with BLT, who should be getting a shipment tomorrow. Since I have all my other parts for the new build, losing $30 is worth the convenience.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:27 pm

Just FYI:

I've been watching BLT for over a month now, and everytime a due date comes, it goes by with nothing.

I've also seen them remove the deliveries to one of their workshops. So, I guess what I'm saying is don't just think they will have it tomorrow. Their dates have changed way too many times just to be sure.

I'm also curious, as the new Sonata II is shipping officially at antec's site, and knowing that the P180 has been unofficially out for about a week or so, when will SPCR be reviewing these? I'm looking forward to seeing which case is the best overall investment. I hope the P180 is more for my system, but as I'm now looking for quiet for hot components, I'll take whichever is better.

idiot

Post by idiot » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:13 pm

thetoad30 wrote:Just FYI:

I've been watching BLT for over a month now, and everytime a due date comes, it goes by with nothing.

I've also seen them remove the deliveries to one of their workshops. So, I guess what I'm saying is don't just think they will have it tomorrow. Their dates have changed way too many times just to be sure.
:(

Didn't know that. I'll be sure to watch out for delays.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Sorry for the bad news... I don't think any date should be held firm until we see that little icon on the antec webpage to buy the case... seems as if its meant to be sold, antec will definately be having it in stock.

Guess that's how it works huh?

antifro

Just got my hooked up

Post by antifro » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:05 pm

I ordered my on friday 10th from computerhq.com (after canceling 2 orders from other vendors, computers4sure, some one else cant remember). I paid the $160 and $40 shipping via DHL. It was supposed to come in on friday the 17th but came in on tuesday, so very nice job DHL. The case is very nice and VERY heavy, my aluminum based case with PC hardware (along with an antec phantom 500, heavy PSU) weighed less than this CASE ALONE, so this case plus the phantom plus all the computer parts make my computer weight ohhhh... I'd say like 50lbs. The main complaint that I have is that it is NOT 100% ANTEC to ANTEC compatible, atleast not easily compatible: Phantom 500 PSU is built by Antec just like this P180, however, the Phantom is too long to install in the PSU draw, you have to remove the fan, take away that molding on it, and attach it to the other side of the beam. This creates another problem, Antec suggests that all the Hard Drives go in the bottom draw, now that the fan is there, there is no space to connect the cables!! There is like a millimeter or 2 of space between the fan and the HDD. However if you have a new HDD, it should be quite quiet :). $200 well spent, I'll be using this case for atleast two more computers (although I have a feeling with all these new hardware changes, eg socket 478 to 775, AGP to PCIE, IDE to SATA, 168pin DDR to 240 pin DDR2, etc that they might change ATX form for something newer, which would suck). The wait was worth it. Oh yea, as far as my CPU being cooler, I can notice an average difference of about 2 degrees with all three stock fans on their LOW setting.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:30 am

The Phantom 500 can fit. Granted not easily. Yes you need to remove the fan/holder. Install the Phantom, route the cables to one side and then up, reinstall fan where it was.

Routing the wires is the key, that way you don't block the airflow to the Phantom as well as not having to worry about the wiring interfering with the fan. Also you don't have to put the an on the other side and have it interfere with the HD's.

AntecRep

yes FAQ on that point will be on the site soon, we're working on a picture that shows this clearly though.

antifro

suggestion

Post by antifro » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:48 am

Wow, I didnt know Antec had a rep here, nice! I'd like to make a reasonable suggestion: Its probably too late to modify the paper manual, but it would be nice if Antec made a manual with good photos.

This was my first try at taking everything out of my old case and putting everything in new case. I had everything setup right from the first try and it took me about 4.5 hours (it was late at night and I was tired from work).

Great Case, you can feel the quality in the weight!! :)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: suggestion

Post by lenny » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:59 am

antifro wrote:Its probably too late to modify the paper manual, but it would be nice if Antec made a manual with good photos.
Or alternatively, a web page.

Some omissions in the manual:

I'm not sure if the fan clips are standard with many cases - maybe they are and I just haven't come across them before. How to remove them was one of the few things about the case that stumped me (thanks, Devonavar, for instructions).

The VGA air shroud (or whatever it's called) : manual says "remove two screws". Of course I had to remove the wrong ones. Fortunately no big deal figuring that one out. A picture showing which two screws will help.

idiot

Post by idiot » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:00 am

thetoad30 wrote:Sorry for the bad news... I don't think any date should be held firm until we see that little icon on the antec webpage to buy the case... seems as if its meant to be sold, antec will definately be having it in stock.

Well, I thankfully received a shipping notice today. And looking at their site, BLT seems to have ~70 in stock, at the moment. Shipping is $20 continental, I as far as I know, so the final price should be $150 for the US.

Also, I believe that someone mentioned this either several pages back or on another forum, but Techonweb only lists two fans in the case, while most other retailers list three. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it's something to consider... it would suck if they somehow pulled out that 38mm bottom fan.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:13 am

idiot wrote: Also, I believe that someone mentioned this either several pages back or on another forum, but Techonweb only lists two fans in the case, while most other retailers list three. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it's something to consider... it would suck if they somehow pulled out that 38mm bottom fan.
Most sites I've seen that list two fans usually list the 38mm and the rear fan as "Standard", and then list the blowhole fan as Optional. Techonweb doesn't indicate any of that, just says 2 fans installed.

Curious idea. I have no idea the quality of these fans, but maybe it'd be worth a cheaper case so I could put in my own fans ('cept the 38mm, I'd like that one).

idiot

Post by idiot » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:05 pm

sundevil_1997 wrote:Most sites I've seen that list two fans usually list the 38mm and the rear fan as "Standard", and then list the blowhole fan as Optional. Techonweb doesn't indicate any of that, just says 2 fans installed.

Curious idea. I have no idea the quality of these fans, but maybe it'd be worth a cheaper case so I could put in my own fans ('cept the 38mm, I'd like that one).
A few have said that the fans are decent (I think they have three speed settings--maybe 12v, 7v, and 5v?). But I'll be switching them out for some orange Yate Loons. All except the 38mm, that is.

bobov

Post by bobov » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:00 pm

idiot wrote:
thetoad30 wrote:Sorry for the bad news... I don't think any date should be held firm until we see that little icon on the antec webpage to buy the case... seems as if its meant to be sold, antec will definately be having it in stock.

Well, I thankfully received a shipping notice today. And looking at their site, BLT seems to have ~70 in stock, at the moment. Shipping is $20 continental, I as far as I know, so the final price should be $150 for the US.

Also, I believe that someone mentioned this either several pages back or on another forum, but Techonweb only lists two fans in the case, while most other retailers list three. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it's something to consider... it would suck if they somehow pulled out that 38mm bottom fan.
I ordered a P180 from techonweb, and received on last Firday. It does come with 3 fans. :D

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:02 pm

Perhaps the source of the confusion about the number of included Fans is Antec's spec page?
Up to 2x120mm Fans
- 1 rear (standard) 120mm TriCool Fan with 3-speed switch control
- 1 top (optional) 120mm TriCool Fan
- 1 lower chamber (standard) 120mm x 38mm (thick) TriCool Fan
- 1 front (optional) 120mm fan
- 1 (optional) 80mm case fan in the Air Duct over the graphics card
I've sent Antec an e-mail to alert them to the error; every sample I've seen (3 so far) came with the top fan pre-installed.

idiot

Post by idiot » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:54 pm

bobov wrote:I ordered a P180 from techonweb, and received on last Firday. It does come with 3 fans. :D
Glad to hear that they didn't cheat you out of one! :) So, want to write up a little review

I had a hard time believing that Antec was shipping two retail versions around: one with two fans and another with three. But I really couldn't think of another explanation for the varying specs.

antifro

Post by antifro » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:34 pm

idiot wrote:
sundevil_1997 wrote:Most sites I've seen that list two fans usually list the 38mm and the rear fan as "Standard", and then list the blowhole fan as Optional. Techonweb doesn't indicate any of that, just says 2 fans installed.

A few have said that the fans are decent (I think they have three speed settings--maybe 12v, 7v, and 5v?). But I'll be switching them out for some orange Yate Loons. All except the 38mm, that is.
The fans are pretty good and very quiet. I have my computer in my basement and do most computing during the night so I can hear the damn clock thats 15 feet away ticking. What is a Yate Loon?

idiot

Post by idiot » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:04 pm

antifro wrote:The fans are pretty good and very quiet. I have my computer in my basement and do most computing during the night so I can hear the damn clock thats 15 feet away ticking. What is a Yate Loon?
Yate Loon is the OEM for Nexus' 120mm fan. They're sold here. If you don't know about the Nexus fans, a search here will bring up more information that you'll want to read. ;)

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:13 pm

Frontier PC has now changed the ETA for the black P180 to "mid-July." They still don't have the regular version, either. I guess I should start looking for somewhere in the U.S. to order from, I'm certainly not waiting yet another month!

dni

Post by dni » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:19 pm

Bob_McBob wrote:Frontier PC has now changed the ETA for the black P180 to "mid-July." They still don't have the regular version, either. I guess I should start looking for somewhere in the U.S. to order from, I'm certainly not waiting yet another month!
ARRRGHGGHGHG.

*ahem*

Frontierpc is the most inconsistent store in the entire world. Within a single day, I've heard 3 dates from them on a single model of the P180. Different pages of their site lead to contraditions.

They phoned me today, to ask about billing for my order. I was then told that the case would be out sometime in June for sure (despite the fact that their site has said June 18th for as long as I can remember). Now they're telling McBob mid-July?

How is it that other canadian retailers can have this case but the ones which distribute the SPCR version do not? And how can they be so incompetent.

[/rant]

Can anyone recommend a black matte paint that would work well on the silver version of this case? It's gotten to the point that, while I'd love the black version, and supporting SPCR, I can't stand the thought of giving my business to frontierpc.

MikeC, if you know them, can you knock some sense/customer service into their heads? Thanks.

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:43 pm

Oh well, I just e-mailed them again, I wonder what they'll have to say this time. FWIW, I got the new ETA from their front page/black P180 info page, "Shipping Mid-July, 2005!" Interesting that they now include "2005"; maybe people were asking :lol:. Of course, they still list the ETA for the silver version as both "1st week of July" and "06/10/05," so who really knows when it will be available?

If they can't give me a more definite ETA on either version, I'll probably cancel my order and try to find somewhere in the States that doesn't charge too much for shipping. I've put off assembling my new system for weeks, and I'm not waiting on them much longer.

dni

Post by dni » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:15 pm

I'm literally picking up the remaining pieces of my system tomorrow.
Brand new system, decent parts, and no case. I understand if Antec has had to delay the case to be satisfied with it, and I understand that some retailers get it later than others.

But this is ridiculous. Frontierpc has also made contradictory claims about pricing. In the same day, I've talked to a woman at the store who said it doesn't matter what price your preorder states, the price may vary depending on their cost. Same day, a man said rather definitively that you will only pay what you preordered it at. Hence I've kept my silver case order at 163.99 and the SPCR at 199.99.

Frontierpc is like strippers, they tease with items they have no plans to deliver. :twisted:

On the phone they mentioned that they can't change the ETAs on their site as they're pulled directly from their supplier's site(s). If that's so, frontierpc should tell their suppliers that they're costing the store customers.

Bob, if you find any good deals, please let me know at [email protected]. From what I've seen, the only canadian retailer with it in stock is Direct Dial.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:20 am

BTW the little buy icon on our site is not the best indicator of a products shipping status. We ship to zero. Once that happens the little buy icon goes away until we get more in. However that means our channel partners should then have some (in other words we don't hold any in reserve for direct orders).

Spec sheet should be corrected by now.

The manual should have had at least 1 picture with numbers on it indicating the screws. I'll double check that though.

AntecRep

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:08 pm

Well, Frontier PC never replied to my e-mail, so I still have no idea what's going on. NCIX claims to have the silver model in stock at all of their locations, as well as almost 60 on order from their supplier. They want $50/case for ground shipping though, so I don't think I'll be ordering from them.

Edit:
Frontier PC's site now actually shows the regular silver version as in stock in Warehouse 3 (along with the other two ETAs...). I e-mailed them yet again to ask about both versions; hopefully they'll actually reply this time. :evil:

Bob_McBob

Post by Bob_McBob » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:15 pm

Just to update you all, a girl from Frontier PC gave me a call today to let me know that their shipment of black P180s is delayed, and they don't know when they'll be available. They had the silver version in stock and on sale at C$157.60. Since I'd already placed an order for the silver version, I asked them to just cancel the SPRC order. My cases (I ordered one for my brother, too) were shipped out this morning, so they should be here some time this week.

aynjell

Post by aynjell » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:50 pm

What SLI ready power supplies are long enough to be usable in the p180? I am about to buy one and if there aren't any that will work perfectly (it also has to come sleeved), I'm sure I can get one from PCPC sized right since they make them by hand if I recall.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:40 pm

aynjell wrote:What SLI ready power supplies are long enough to be usable in the p180? I am about to buy one and if there aren't any that will work perfectly (it also has to come sleeved), I'm sure I can get one from PCPC sized right since they make them by hand if I recall.
It depends on your motherboard. With Asus MBs (and others with the ATX12V at the top of the board) your main problem is going to be with the ATX12V. I started a thread to compile information on MB + PSU but there has not been too many contributors.

Most MB reviews measure the length of the cables. That should give you a pretty good idea of which ones are long enough. PSUs with all cables sleeved are kinda rare, but I suppose you know that already.

blunden

Post by blunden » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:36 am

Anyone know when they will come to Europe or better yet Sweden?

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:55 am

The P180 isn't even listed yet at the european part of antecs webpage :/

sialivi

Post by sialivi » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:44 am

blunden: well, at least 1 p180 has come to sweden.. antec used it as a price in a competition at dreamhack ;)

kloppe

Post by kloppe » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:57 am

sialivi wrote:blunden: well, at least 1 p180 has come to sweden.. antec used it as a price in a competition at dreamhack ;)
Yeah, but it had been defiled. :(