Help find mATX HTPC case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Help find mATX HTPC case

Post by mrzed » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:43 pm

So much searching, but I have not found anything to my liking yet. This is for HTPC/Media PC for the living room, so something decent looking in black or silver would be nice, but I'm also not afraid to mod if it needs it. I was going to build my own from MDF (may still in the future) but it has been on hold too long while I put the workshop together.

Criteria are:

- Desktop style or HTPC style
- Takes full-height expansion cards
- No PSU preferred but OK if case cheap enough
- Uses SFX/mATX sized PSU - no odd sizes
- One or two 5.25 external bay
- 80mm or larger exhaust - or can be modified to fit
- Available in Canada
- Cheaper is better

Most of the cases out there are either too small (1/2 height) or use bulky ATX PSU's or are Full ATX. I just want the smallest case that can fit standard components and be cooled by at least one 80mm+ fan.

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:15 pm

i spent a lot of time researching these HTPC cases, and i do not believe that a microATX HTPC case exists that takes full sized add-in cards. Of course you can get those funky "gamer" cases, but as for elegant Hi-Fi looking ones, cant say ive found any

but whats the problem with a full ATX PSU? If youre going to have full sized expansion cards, then the case will be full height. So the added size of an ATX power supply over a SFX wouldnt really show

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:39 am

mATX power supply is for 2 reasons. One, I already have a SS200SFD from when I intended to build my own, and I'd like to use it. 2, there is full height then there's full height. I want a minimal full height, just enough to fit the cards, but no more.

Mostly it's about getting that minimal size. I would consider a case that uses a full ATX PSU if it fit the other criteria, but so far, none I can find does.

The new Antec HTPC case looks nice, but I suspect it will be far out of my price range. I can't really justify much more than $100-150 canadian.

mb2

Post by mb2 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:55 am

El Doug wrote:but whats the problem with a full ATX PSU? If youre going to have full sized expansion cards, then the case will be full height. So the added size of an ATX power supply over a SFX wouldnt really show
can't disagree more.. full height PCI requires about 10cm.. whereas a PSU is around 14cm.. 40% shows.

pyite

Post by pyite » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:14 pm

I am considering a Silverstone SST-LC11-B.

It has a 300 watt power supply available and has an 80mm case fan. I don't know if you would be able to cool a dual core 4400+ with a 7800GTX, of course.

deksawyer

Post by deksawyer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:13 am

Have a look at the Claritas cases, made in the UK;

http://www.standsunique.com/Claritas.html

I'm pretty sure they ship worldwide.

D.

Landroval

Post by Landroval » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:08 am

When should the new Antecs come out? I mean the Fusion and it's cheaper alternative which name I dont remember.

This: http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/antec ... 148798.php

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:08 pm

100-150$ CDN for a HTPC case meeting your requirements may not be possible my friend.

What's the PERFECT case worth to you for this application? probably close to 200-250 CDN Just keep that in mind.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Well I've found 2 that look close to meeting my needs for under $100. There is no way I would pay $200-250 for a case. I've never spent that much on a single compnent in my life. I'm cheap.

This Chenbro "Black Desktop" Is available for around $75 through a local shop.

There is also This In-win and while I have not seen it listed at local shops, several places in Vancouver carry In-win, so it could likely be ordered and I imagine it would be a similar price.

Problem is, so few of these get sold that there is no place for me to check them out, and barring a really thorough review, that's the only way to gauge quality and see if they really look nasty, or not so bad. It took me nearly a full day just to track down those 2 options.

I'm leaning back towards the build my own option, as I'm not happy with the idea of paying even $75 to order something sight unseen, and knowing it will always be a compromise anyway. At least if I roll my own, I get what I want (within the limits of my skill anyhow).

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:20 am

mrzed wrote:Well I've found 2 that look close to meeting my needs for under $100. There is no way I would pay $200-250 for a case. I've never spent that much on a single compnent in my life. I'm cheap.

This Chenbro "Black Desktop" Is available for around $75 through a local shop.

There is also This In-win and while I have not seen it listed at local shops, several places in Vancouver carry In-win, so it could likely be ordered and I imagine it would be a similar price.

Problem is, so few of these get sold that there is no place for me to check them out, and barring a really thorough review, that's the only way to gauge quality and see if they really look nasty, or not so bad. It took me nearly a full day just to track down those 2 options.

I'm leaning back towards the build my own option, as I'm not happy with the idea of paying even $75 to order something sight unseen, and knowing it will always be a compromise anyway. At least if I roll my own, I get what I want (within the limits of my skill anyhow).
ok well, if you change your requirements then 8) (60mm)

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:57 am

I imagine if I used either of those cases that the 60mm fan holes would become passive intakes, and I would have to cut a larger opening somewhere.

Thing is, there is nothing out there that meets my needs, so regardless of what I get it will have to be modified. Makes building something from scratch more likely.

Chang

Post by Chang » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:57 pm

Enermax Venus looks likes it meets all your criteria. That design (shared with an older Silverstone case) is the best for 80mm fans, IMNSHO. The orientation for optical drives means it's best laid on its side, like a desktop.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:06 pm

Yeah I forgot about that one.

It looks nearly perfect, bu I cannot find it in Canada using any web searches. I may try calling around to see if any shops near me can get it in. I don't want the hassle of cross-border shipping. Been burned on that once. Never again.

Anyone know who in Canada sells Enermax cases?

Chang

Post by Chang » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:11 pm

I thought using Pricegrabber Canada would return Canadian shops. Ah well. Try this Google search.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Thanks - I didn't think to search model numbers. I found one shop that lists it on the website. It's a static site, so who knows if they still have it, but at least it's a start. Now I get to find out what shipping from Ontario is for a case (assuming they reply).

geckokarma

Post by geckokarma » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:17 pm

I gave a thumbs up to the Venus in an earlier post:
http://www.forums.silentpcreview.com/vi ... fb09a47671

(Its been awhile but my hiatus is over!)

A bit more detail for you:

I've got a full-height wifi PCI card, a Samsung 160 GB 3.5" HD and above that a DVD in the 5.25". Given my mobo (Soyo P4RC350), the XP-90 sits only ~1cm from the PSU fan, but I'm not too concerned... The PSU fan will blow directly into the XP-90s fins.

I'm still powering everything down... just tonight installing a brand new pair of 80mm Panaflows (i.e. the reference fan). So I can't comment on a finished box. But it FEELS like a winner. The fact the Venus offers *two* case fans slots, and I can fill them with a pair of Panaflows at 5 V... my gut says right on.

As to the Enermax PSU fan, its certainly no screamer. I haven't quite gotten past the chicken and egg problem that its quiet when the case is open, but of course it is since its voltage is thermal-adjusted... Once I quiet down everything else I should be able to report on it when the case is closed.

The cabling is a bit snug, as the DVD backs up within a few cm of the XP-90, but round IDE cables seem to help. I could imagine that with certain mobo's, the cabling situation could be a problem. But if one plans out the relative locations of the CPU, DVD, and mobo power connectors before purchasing, one can likely get the right combination.

I'd say its all over but the shipping across the border, mrzed!

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:30 am

I've heard there is a mailbox shop in Point Roberts that specializes in receiving goods for Canadians. I may try that, and pick it up next time I am on the way back from the mainland. I have put in calls to a number of local shops, and the one place in Mississauga that shows the case on the website, but no response yet.

Anyone ever used that Point Roberts service?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:34 am

Update:

The only shop I found that carries the Enermax is in Ontario and will not ship to BC. The mailbox store in Point Roberts that accepts packages is not open weekends, so my idea of picking it up on the way back from a trip to the mainland will not work.

Sad - I finally find the case that seems to work and buying it becomes the problem.

Any suggestions on other case possibilities, or methods of obtaining this Enermax would be welcome. I have a spare bedroom for any SPCR member from USA who wants to accept a shipment for me and then take a short vacation in Victoria ;)

geckokarma

Post by geckokarma » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:23 am

mrzed -- have you gotten a case yet? How about the tasty-looking Antec nsk2400, which seems to have distibution in Canada?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:06 am

I'm still in the process of deciding. I will either go for the NSK or build my own. My design is very similar to the NSK in some ways (seperate PSU chamber, exhaust fans on side adjacent to CPU area) so it would not be a huge stretch.

Advantages of building my own would be: smaller case, a bit cheaper, satisfaction
Advantages of NSK: easier, probably nicer finish, stout PSU would accomodate upgrade in future

I keep waffling back and forth, as I have been busy with night courses of late. But I think I'd rather build it. I am waiting in my neighbour for some of the parts (metal worker who has offered to get some aluminium sheet cut to size and bent for me).

geckokarma

Post by geckokarma » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:08 pm

mrzed wrote:I think I'd rather build it
Now that is something reporting back to SPCR about!

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:58 pm

I just got my NSK case today. If you are going to build one, study this design. It's very straightforward and clever. The way the 120mm fans are incorporated is what sold me.

Can you buy an mATX motherboard tray? Seems like that would be the trickiest part to duplicate.

Personally, I think the time you'd save by buying is worth the money in the long run. Building is fun but time consuming and not so fun when you're trying to live with a have completed project.

gman76

Post by gman76 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:16 pm

Like I mentioned on another thread, I ordered an NSK2400 case a few days ago and it's now sitting at my front door. Others have reported it to be a nice case. If you want to keep cost down, I think this is a good one. I've looked at the nmedia 200, the qpack, the silverstones, the thermaltakes, the various cubes. Although the 2400 is a bit deep, I don't think you're gunna find anything under 100 US that fits the bill. The qpack was interesting, but looked too much like a gaming rig. I almost bought the nmedia 200 but by the time you get a PSU and shipping, it's over 150 US. Many horiz cases require low profile PCI cards which is very limiting. I bought the 2400 at securemart.com for 60 US + 16 shipping. Hope this helps.

MB: MSI 6150 -FID (DVI,PureVideo)
CPU: A64 3200+
RAM: 2x512
HDD: Samsung 250GB
Tuner: PVR150, and hope to add Aver A180 HD card
FrontEnd: MCE2005 w/ MS remote

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:53 pm

The Antec NSK2400 is my recommendation. Its limitations are -- 2 internal HDD bays, mATX board only. It is a great shape, size and dimensions for HTPC. The price is CA$117.71 at FrontierPC and CA$106 at NCIX. This is with a decently quiet (and good quality PSU). You won't find anything as good for cooling even at double the price. The build quality of the case is tops, lots of attn. to fine detail. Acoustically, it is very good in stock form, and with some tweaks (including a quieter PSU), it can be virtually silent.

But I'm biased. I helped design it... and am in the middle of testing it right now. My only serious complaint is that it's too cheap. :lol:
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:01 pm

ultrachrome wrote:I just got my NSK case today. If you are going to build one, study this design. It's very straightforward and clever. The way the 120mm fans are incorporated is what sold me.

Can you buy an mATX motherboard tray? Seems like that would be the trickiest part to duplicate.
I started designing the case last fall, and when I looked at the NSK2400 it was nice, as it validated my basic premise: the only way to get proper cooling on a lowish profile is to put the fans on the side adjacent to the CPU area. I prototyped the basic idea with a cardboard box, but sadly lost all the nice photos I did. I still have the box though. Fully working cardboard HTPC, which is not in the living room, as you might imagine.

I am not planning on using a motherboard tray, just some form of standoff. I think that part will be easy, as I can use the mobo itself to find the correct placement.

The hard part is figuring out how to manage the I/O shield and expansion slots, as they are always inset into the case back. I will be using one piece of sheet metal for the bottom and back, with a single 90 degree bend, so I have to figure out a way to get this inset. Happy to hear any ideas. I'm not a fabricator, I will be getting the aluminium sheet pre-cut and bent from the neighbor who is, but I have to figure out the details myself.

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:52 am

Since reading your post the gears in my brain have been turning.

Thoughts:
- It might be easier to use one piece for bottom and one piece for back as if you screw up either either the motherboard mounting holes or the back panel you don't have to toss the whole piece. I think I would make the back panel first before locaing your motherboard mounting location.

- If you are using a single piece of aluminum to serve as the bottom of the case and motherboard tray, be sure you have enough room for the bottom metal tab of the PCI card bracket. I think you'll need taller than normal standoffs as it extends pretty far below the motherboard.

- You should have an io shield included with the motherboard. It should be simple to cut out a hole to fit. The io shield openings have a bit of wiggle room so it should be easy to get its location correct.

- the pci mounting tab is a trick. I have a solution but it is tricky to explain.

* One large cutout of the back panel to accomodate all PCI slots and i/o section, treating the i/o section just as if they were PCI slots.

*Mount a piece of 1/2" L-shape aluminum inside the back panel to serve as a mounting point for the PCI cards.

*Fabricate a wide slot cover with a cutout for the i/o shield or use the i/o shield as a template to cut out the appropriate openings to accomodate all the i/o connections. This would screw into the L bracket like a PCI card or slot cover.

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:06 am

how about the Zalman HD160 ?? a little pricey, accepts full atx psu and mobo's.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/vie ... 2&code=029

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:44 am

If money is no object maybe try the new HFX Mini:

http://www.hifiatx.com

Looks as though it will be pretty expensive and it doesn't take standard PSUs but rather has an integrated DC/DC converter with a 165W external 'brick'. Reputedly accepts 3 full-size expansion slots with a riser.

Pricing is rather steep and then you have to pay for various extras (including the PSU!) but it looks pretty good and should be able to run completely passively. Stick a Core Duo system in there and I'd imagine you'd have the ideal HTPC.