front "grill" attachment for slk3000b

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ki_cz

front "grill" attachment for slk3000b

Post by ki_cz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:49 am

I was wondering if there is an accessory for the slk3000b that would act as a "grill" on the front panel.

Basically, I'm running 3 ide drives in my PC. The third one is sitting under the DVD drive in the case, just resting on the case, not attached in any way.

I'm basically wanting to get fan blowing from the back of the case to the front, but there is no exhaust in the front. I guess I could just remove 1 piece of plastic, but having a "hole" there in my mind isn't very attractive. Would much rather have some kind of "grill". Does this even exist?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:00 am

Sorry, I don't understand what you're after.
The whole lower front panel is a grille and there is a hole in the bottom of the front panel too. There is a 120mm fan grille in the front metalwork too.
It's shown in this review

As for the upper drive bay, couldn't you use Modders Mesh

ki_cz

Post by ki_cz » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:16 am

Sorry, for the upper drive bay. That's pretty much what I'm looking for, just wondering if there is anything pre-made for the bays?

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Post by Firetech » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:45 am

Not that I'm aware of. If you check some of the build galleries some of the guys with P180's etc have used Modders Mesh and a former to make them.
I think Mike C did it for the Quiet PC to Thailand build :?

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:39 am

ki_cz wrote:Sorry, for the upper drive bay. That's pretty much what I'm looking for, just wondering if there is anything pre-made for the bays?
If you only have one optical drive I think the Kama bay cooler sounds right for you.

many single bay hard drive fan things around. I dont think they live up to SPCR standards. little loud fans...
I have seen Double Bay Covers with a fan hole.
Kama bay cooler. its a 120 mm fan that takes 3 bays and has a dust guard. white or silver or black.
the coller master 4 in 3 holds hard drives and a 120 mm fan but has no grill. you would have to find some mesh bay covers from a cooler master case

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:14 am

The 3000B has a door, so adding a grill would require cutting a hole in the door... I'm not sure if that is what the OP meant, but it can be done. I think you can safely rule out pre-made since that would require either a new door or a different front bezel.

Having said that, it's not too hard a mod (I've done it so it can't be difficult):

Image Image

Sorry for the cell phone pics. I used a dremel with a worn-down cut-off disc and some sanding paper. The mesh is originally meant to go in front of a heater/radiator. It's very shiny and looks nice, not at all out of place.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:00 pm

nice grill teejay