Cooler Master Sileo 500

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

F for Fragging

Cooler Master Sileo 500

Post by F for Fragging » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:08 am

Here is it's description on the global Cooler Master website, and here is a review.

This enclosure seems to be an excellent choice for a silent build. I love the clean design as well, it looks great. It's good that it doesn't have a plastic front panel, and the LED's at the bottom which include the power and reset button seem to be a creative design. It's got a tool-free, anti-vibration design and noise reduction material. The prices I've seen in The Netherlands so far don't exceed € 70 ($93,5) which is awesome value for money. If I'd build a new system now I'd probably choose this enclosure.

It comes with two 800 rpm 120 mm fans installed in the front and back. I wonder how Cooler Master's fans would compare to the 800 rpm Scythe Slip Stream?

JL5
Patron of SPCR

Post by JL5 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:14 am

The 12cm front fan is great, only it should have been placed a bit higher to aid both gpu and cpu areas.
Air front intake look a little smaller than the P150. It is nice with no PSU beam across the case.
Hard disk mount blocking all intake airflow. unless "Detachable anti-vibration HDD pads for noise reduction" means mount can be removed.
Not entirely sure why a silent case would need 5x 5´25 and 5x 3´5 bays, other than for structural stability.
It needs a door :D

Hoping for some more reviews from users and sites, as that review sounded more like an ad, but is nice with more silent oriented cases.

davidrees

Post by davidrees » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:27 am

I was just at Frys and I saw this case and thought it was amazing. They had just put the demo out and did not have the price or model - I made them go look it up ($79.99)

My concern for building a mid range gaming system is the air intake but I was thinking that adding a Kama Bay to the front would make it about perfect.

The rear stamped grill does not seem too bad, but it is begging for some Dremel work - I am sure the front could use the same treatment.

Reviews are very hard to find but I found one where they used an O/C Q6600 and a 4870x2 and the case keep them on the warm side of acceptable. Some people are not happy unless their components stay at 42C - I think the case was hovering around 38C, the CPU at maybe 50-something and the GPU at maybe 68C (acceptable).

I am going to improve airflow and put a smaller thermal load on mine so I expect it will be excellent.

davidrees

Post by davidrees » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:25 am

I am really surprised at the lack of reviews on this case. Based on the price and the looks and the fact that it seems like a very good attempt at a near silent mid range performing case, it is weird that there is so little being written about this case.

I have found a few reviews on Google that are not in English. They do not seem to be in depth at all.

I am wondering how this case will run with a 4870 and a Q6600 and maybe 3 hard drives. How good is the cooling?

davidrees

Post by davidrees » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Still very little hands on info regarding this case.

3DGamerman is doing a video review on it tonight and I really cannot wait.

I am also considering the Silverstone Raven SV01 but I am not sure how I will feel about its appearance in a year or so.

Right now I think the Sileo is the most interesting under $100, the Raven at around $250ish and the Lian Li Tyr X500 is my dream case but its pushing $400.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 pm

I am impressed about review. Good looks and able to take full sized PCI-E cards like HD 4870 x 2. That is awesome. Looks like very good alternative for Solo / P150 series.

substitute

Post by substitute » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Pretty nice. I like the fact that the hard drive cage seems to be attached with screws. If I end up getting that case I can remove the cage and place my hard drive enclosure on the bottom, right in front of the intake fan.

Btw, it would have been nice if they had put a few holes on the mobo "tray" for cable routing.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:31 am

To me it looks like a Centurion 534, with sound dampening and maybe a few other minor improvements.
Are there any major differences with respect to the 534?

mshelton

Post by mshelton » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:16 am

Does anyone know where one can get one of these cases?

I've seen them on Amazon and a couple other online retailers but they all seem to be out of stock.

Thanks.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:26 pm

I wonder how much CPU3D were paid by Coolermaster to do that review, its obviously biased, and throughout the review they constantly trumpet the "quiet" aspects of the case, but dont actually have any kind of measurements to backup CM's marketing bullshit.

As such that review is a pointless read (but the pics are OK). This does not mean that the case is bad, far from it perhaps. CM have finally started to make some good products aimed at the silent PC market, and this case is a welcome addition.

I look forward to a review from SPCR, which of course wont be biased, wont be full of mistakes, will have temperature and noise readings that are of use, and will be compared directly to the competition, and wont have just sucked off the PR guy from CoolerMaster for cash.

Andy

mshelton

Post by mshelton » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:03 pm

wow...

In other news, newegg.com now has these in stock.