Antec Sonata/3700BQE

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Seal

Antec Sonata/3700BQE

Post by Seal » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:46 am

Hi im getting a new case soon to house my watercooled setup and have been waiting for that perfect case to come out for ages, finally antec have struck gold! The sonata and the 3700bqe look perfect but to get everything to fit inside i would need to remove those hard drive cages, are they removeable in these cases? How are they attached (rivets im guessing)?

Also could anyone who has got these cases just tell me exactly how much clerance there is at the front of the case (the gap between the bottom of the case and the Floppy bracket thing)

Also ayone know where the 3700bqe is availiable in the UK.

Have SPCR got an irc chan?/

Thanks
Seal
<first post>

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:43 am

welcome to spcr, seal :)

i don't know myself yet, i'm ordering an slk3700bqe and it's due to arrive this coming tuesday, but i'd like to ask: where are you going to put the radiator?

I'm interested in the water-cooled path too - if you get it nicely set up in this case, post some pics / do a write-up! it'll be a good read.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Antec Sonata/3700BQE

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:45 am

Seal - WELCOME TO SPCR!!! Enjoy your stay. Any questions, feel free to ask, we're here to help. (But read the articles on the main site and the forum stickies first, they will answer a whole bunch of your questions. The "search" is invaluable too!)

Seal wrote:Hi im getting a new case soon to house my watercooled setup and have been waiting for that perfect case to come out for ages, finally antec have struck gold! The sonata and the 3700bqe look perfect but to get everything to fit inside i would need to remove those hard drive cages, are they removeable in these cases? How are they attached (rivets im guessing)?
Yes rivets. A bunch. Some are in fairly hard to get to places too, if you're considering drilling them out.

If I was you, I'd think about starting with the SLK3700AMB that has the removable drive cage. Once you pull that out you're left with a sub-floor that's esay to drill out. (I assume you want to mount your rad here?)
Seal wrote:Also could anyone who has got these cases just tell me exactly how much clerance there is at the front of the case (the gap between the bottom of the case and the Floppy bracket thing)
Hang tight. I'll do this and post back in a few hours.
Seal wrote:Also ayone know where the 3700bqe is availiable in the UK.
<first post>
Look in the 2 other BQE threads, I think it's discussed there.

Seal

Post by Seal » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:59 am

Thanks for welcome! As im going for silence my watercooling setup is awesome. Fanwise, a single 120mm fan on just 4-5v (rheo controlled) is all i have in there, its attached to the radiator and gives me full load temperatures of about 37 deg C with a heavy overclock. At idle it floats around 32-34 deg C.

The radiator will be placed where the hard drive cages are, which is why i asked about if it is removeable and for the height clerance of it.

ill post pics of my current watercooled setup soon, it'll be layed out exactly the same in the new case as it is in my current case but hopefully it'll look a lot less embarasing as my current case is the cheapest available which dosent do justice for my setup.

im quite excited about the antec case being a very quiet case as my setup is very quiet and only my seagate barracuda IV is the loudest thing in there atm. with an antec sonata or similar my computer will be virtually inaudible when sitting at my desk with my box below me.

btw: have SPCR got an irc channel?

Seal

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:52 am

Seal wrote:Also could anyone who has got these cases just tell me exactly how much clerance there is at the front of the case (the gap between the bottom of the case and the Floppy bracket thing)
From the case floor to the lowest point on the 3.5" FDD cage is 7.75" (196.85mm).

Seal

Post by Seal » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:01 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
From the case floor to the lowest point on the 3.5" FDD cage is 7.75" (196.85mm).
Thanks Ralf, which case is that for, 3700AMB right??? Either way they all look similar in dimensions which is good because my radiator is 5.5"W x 6.38"H X 2"Thick, which means it will comfortably fit.

I cant find that post about where to get a 3700 in uk, google dosent even know where to get a 3700bqe in england! :(

Seal

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:08 pm

Seal wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
Thanks Ralf, which case is that for, 3700AMB right??? Either way they all look similar in dimensions which is good because my radiator is 5.5"W x 6.38"H X 2"Thick, which means it will comfortably fit.

I cant find that post about where to get a 3700 in uk, google dosent even know where to get a 3700bqe in england! :(

Seal
Yes, that's for the 3700AMB.

Search these forums for SLK3700AMB dealers in the UK, there's got to be info. There's a UK dealers stickie in the "For Sale" forums, maybe you can find something in there.