Cosmos the original?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

adobni

Cosmos the original?

Post by adobni » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:07 am

How does the Cosmos S compare to the original Cosmos?

cordis

noisier

Post by cordis » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:23 am

The Cosmos S is much noisier, apparently. Check for the Cosmos S thread, should be near the top.

davidrees

Post by davidrees » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 pm

This is the most recent Cosmos S thread:
viewtopic.php?t=58349&sid=5ffc58e20cd43 ... 4460a15dd3

Modders and gamers and water coolers tend to love the Cosmos S. I posted my experience and opinion in the above thread but let me sum it up for you:

The Cosmos S is not an inherently loud case at all, but it has no silencing features. If you essentially want a case to "muffle" your loud components, then keep looking.

However, if you need a lot of space and a lot of cooling capacity and are willing to carefully select very high quality parts and you enjoy the design process, then it might be an excellent case for you.

The original Cosmos *is* designed to help contain noise but at the cost of air flow. If your system is not overly hot, it has a reputation for being a good case. The chief weakness is probably the poor ventilation around the hard drive cages and the challenge of getting more than moderate air intake without significant modification and effort.

These cases are among the largest available and while they can be made to be very very quiet, I don't think they are really ideal for those who seek ultimate, uncompromising silence.

I would not trade mine for any other case.