Pillar shaped diy case with small footprint (chimney effect)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ces

Re: Pillar shaped diy case with small footprint (chimney eff

Post by ces » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:48 am

thomsva wrote:Finally this weekend some woodworking has taken place. I made some changes to the plans too. There will be a 12cm fan sucking in air trough the bottom of the case.
Sounds nice. Will look forward to the pictures. Is there some kind of handle or grabby thing that would make sense to put on the top in order to grab and move it?

thomsva

Post by thomsva » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:48 am

The top vent hole will be open, and it will work as a handle too. :)

thomsva

Post by thomsva » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 pm

I posted some photos in the general gallery section. Please have a look:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61809

Rasterman

Post by Rasterman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 pm

MikeC wrote:Only one comment: As soon as you add a single quiet 120mm fan running at 500rpm (with a good HS on the CPU), there is no need for any convection effect & you can reduce the size of the box down to what's needed to just hold the components and allow good airflow.

It's fun to think about, and experiment with, but that's the reality about chimneys and PCs -- there isn't quite enough heat to make it work well, and if there is, the cooling effect of convection alone just isn't quite good enough to make it work safely over the long term.

ps -- you could still build the box.... but for a short folded transmission line speaker system, instead, using a small full range driver. You'd want 2 tho -- on either side of your desk. :lol: :wink:

This is exactly what I was thinking, as soon as you add 1 fan you might as well have 5, I learned this with my new system, you can't hear a nexus at 500rpm, so make the case with as many vents and holes as you need and as small as possible and it will still be silent.