I've got money! What should I get?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

I've got money! What should I get?

Post by akaidiot » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:46 pm

I'm getting tired of my chieftec Dragon case.. What case do you think I should get. I've been kind of away from the silent pc community for a while. So start recommending!

Comments, pictures, reviews, links are appreciated! :P

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:15 pm

The BQE is a good buy. You want something with a big 120mm fan opening at the back and made of steel. I think having a drive door helps heaps - it stops a lot of noise escaping.

Also stay away from cases with windows if you plan on applying acoustic dampening foam :)

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:50 pm

You need to tell us whether you want:
a) silent case or quiet case or good looking case
b) door in the case
c) steel or aluninium
d) color
e) size

Otherwise people will suggest you every case on the planet :)

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:14 pm

ColdFlame wrote:You need to tell us whether you want:
a) silent case or quiet case or good looking case
b) door in the case
c) steel or aluninium
d) color
e) size

Otherwise people will suggest you every case on the planet :)
ok:

a - As quiet as possible..
b - Sure why not(not required, but most have that nowadays, no?)
c - What ever is best, don't care really
d - Preferably black, but silver or "computer beige" is ok to
e - Using medium tower right now, and kind of like it, so I guess medium tower

My computer spec is: (sign)

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:29 pm

BQE BQE BQE :) :)

The Chenbro Xpider / Gaming Bomb might also be up your alley

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:11 pm

That Chenbro case is a very "specific" looking and it is also a $50 case with all that comes with it. BQE is a little bit better but it is hardly a step up from the Cheftec cases.

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:01 am

I have a question,

Why are you tired of your Dragon ??

(I have one and I like it a lot :-))

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:23 am

I'd suggest the 370BQE if you don't want to do any modding, or the 3700AMB is you don't mind cutting the fan grills.

Seal

Post by Seal » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:16 am

3700 BQE!

Theres a review on it on spcr and heres pix of mine:

chylld

Post by chylld » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:58 pm

And here's a pic of mine! :)

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:15 pm

Is there a case with 5,25" slots all the way down to the bottom so my HDs can be fan cooled in their novibes?

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:20 am

Ok, I've now read through the BQE review and it seams really great. But I'm going to use my FSP350-60PN PSU and probably will cut out the fan grills so I guess 3700AMB is an option too?

Also I've got a few questions:

1. What sizes of fans can you mount on the front and back fan slot? 92/120 on both?

2. How does the air filter work, could I get a picture of it? In no review I've seen there has been a picture of the air filter!

3. If you have 2 HDs and use a fan in the front, where should the HDs be for the best HD cooling/case cooling balance?

4. Does the AMB have a removable right panel?

chylld

Post by chylld » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:50 am

Yes there is a case with 5.25" slots all the way from top to bottom - it's the Lian Li PC 6077 (I think). if it weren't aluminium i would definitely get this case (or something like it) for my next system.

the 3700amb would probably be a better option yes, but answering your questions for the bqe (since i don't know the amb very well):

1. you can mount any 120mm fan on the back, and a 120mm2 x 25mm fan on the front. you can also mount smaller fans using some elastic or twistie ties or something - there aren't any mounting holes for fans other than 120mm.

2. there's a pic of the air filter here:

This is a view looking from the bottom of the bezel to the top. the mesh-stuff closest to the camera is some shadecloth i bought to act as a filter for the enlarged hole at the bottom of the bezel. past that, you can see the provided filter (the flat thing).

3. the middle 2 slots. i've experimented with putting the drive in each of the four slots and the middle 2 give the lowest temperatures. note however that i run negative pressured (i.e. no front intake fan) so if you have a fan there then your results will differ.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:01 am

nifti wrote:
4. Does the AMB have a removable right panel?
Yes.

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:48 pm

What about the AcoustiCase C6607B?

Seal

Post by Seal » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:18 pm

nifti wrote:What about the AcoustiCase C6607B?
Those cases ARE an AMB/BQE but with different front facias

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:41 am

Internally, the AcoustiCase 6607 is identical to the Antec SLK3700AMB. It appears that the 6607 is in reality the Compucase 6A19 which is the same case as the 3700AMB with a different front bezel that has no door.

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:36 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Internally, the AcoustiCase 6607 is identical to the Antec SLK3700AMB. It appears that the 6607 is in reality the Compucase 6A19 which is the same case as the 3700AMB with a different front bezel that has no door.
And since I am lazy I don't have to cut the dampening material..

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:07 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Not quite that identical since the drive rails in the Acousticase 6607 have screw mounting on just one side - so you cannot use the Zalman HDD cooler.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:19 am

JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
Not quite that identical since the drive rails in the Acousticase 6607 have screw mounting on just one side - so you cannot use the Zalman HDD cooler.
I'd contact AcoustiProducts to verify this. I have a hard time believing that the company that builds the 6A19 would go to all the trouble that it would take to redesign and manufacture the case with drive rails on one side only. This would require a tooling redesign for the entire 5.25" drive cage assembly.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:12 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: Internally, the AcoustiCase 6607 is identical to the Antec SLK3700AMB. It appears that the 6607 is in reality the Compucase 6A19 which is the same case as the 3700AMB with a different front bezel that has no door.
I'd contact AcoustiProducts to verify this. I have a hard time believing that the company that builds the 6A19 would go to all the trouble that it would take to redesign and manufacture the case with drive rails on one side only. This would require a tooling redesign for the entire 5.25" drive cage assembly.
I contacted them twice! And both times Paul assured me there is only one side of the drive rails for screws. And that's why their website states the Zalman cannot be used.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:47 am

JVM wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
JVM wrote: Not quite that identical since the drive rails in the Acousticase 6607 have screw mounting on just one side - so you cannot use the Zalman HDD cooler.
I contacted them twice! And both times Paul assured me there is only one side of the drive rails for screws. And that's why their website states the Zalman cannot be used.
So there you go. I guess you can scratch the 6607 off your list.

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:18 am

Another thing is those plastic fan mounts that people should know about before buying. May not be a major issue, but nice to know about just in case it is an issue.

Liquidated

yup

Post by Liquidated » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:43 am

I've been building systems for friends/family based on the BQE. I chose the case based at first entirely on Ralf's reviews. Since that first one, the rest are From my respects for the first one. A great inexpensive case especially when you get it from a place that will swap out the psu for you.

The case I use (also from these boards) is the globalwin YCC 61F1, which is a simply awe inducing case. I mean it looks boring on the outside with it's plastic bezel but my goodness it's a beaut when you pop open the side. It's a hybrid aluminum case with a fully removable steel motherboard tray. Quite a large case but very easily moved. No easily removeable drive cages, which is really it's worst qualtity. Very easy to work on and took to acoustic paneling very well.

Both the BQE and YCC feature excellent hexagonal grill fan mounts that hold 2x 120mm. The Antec is about a third of the cost of the globalwin.

Recommend both cases highly for silent/quiet pc bases.

Cheers!
-Liq

snutten

Post by snutten » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:07 am

If you really think money is no object, then have a look at:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040115/index.html

MGP

Post by MGP » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:37 pm

Hmmm...you got money and don't know what to do with it, eh?

1) Wire it to my PayPal account.

2) Become a paid member of SPCR.

3) Wire it to my PayPal account.

:D

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:01 pm

Thanks for all the answers! My current worries are:

1. Why isn't the bottom hole of the bezel filtered!

2. How are the HDs mounted, are they just lying on hte rubber "dots" in the Hd cages of are they screwed to the cage? Or can it be decoupled in any way? I'd like to use my novibe at the bottom of the cage! is that unneccesary?

3. MGP, Sorry, my money are just analog, haven't even got a CC yet, 18 in a weeks time, yippieee! :P

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:40 am

nifti wrote:Thanks for all the answers! My current worries are:

1. Why isn't the bottom hole of the bezel filtered!
Are you talking about the 3700BQE? If so, I think Antec put the slot in the bottom of the bezel as a hand-hold to use when pulling the front bezel off the case.
nifti wrote:2. How are the HDs mounted, are they just lying on hte rubber "dots" in the Hd cages of are they screwed to the cage? Or can it be decoupled in any way? I'd like to use my novibe at the bottom of the cage! is that unneccesary?
They're screwed into the HDD cage with special shoulder bolts that touch nothing but the grommet and the HDD. This way the drive is completely decoupled from the cage except where it touches the rubber grommet.

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:17 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Are you talking about the 3700BQE? If so, I think Antec put the slot in the bottom of the bezel as a hand-hold to use when pulling the front bezel off the case.
Ok, well it does take in air=dust anyway..
Ralf Hutter wrote:They're screwed into the HDD cage with special shoulder bolts that touch nothing but the grommet and the HDD. This way the drive is completely decoupled from the cage except where it touches the rubber grommet
Ok, Is it possible to remove the whole HD cage? Or atleast the bottom..?! Porhaps 3700AMB is better for me? In the SPCR pictures I like the color but pictures I've seen in shops and the antec site, it look's more like the boring "PC beige"..

this is what I'm talking about. Are there 2(or more) colors?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:36 am

The lower drive cage is removable on the AMB, but not on the BQE. That, price, and the more restrictive airflow around the hard drives help make the AMB a better choice for me. The BQE is really only better if you don't want to cut out the fan grilles or prefer the (slightly) quieter stock PSU.

The AMB is nowhere near beige. It is not really bronze either, just a very dark grey.

I can't imagine why the dust intake from the slot at the bottom of the bezel is an issue. It is so easy to just tape some form of filter over it like chylld has (me too). I also enlarged the same slot. More airflow with no direct sound path is always a good idea.

Like Ralf says, the HDD are somewhat decoupled by being mounted on the rubber grommets, but as he says in his review, it's not the quietest solution (better than hard mounting though). I have a Maxtor FBD drive - quiet idle, noisy seeks - so I can hear the seeks clearly. I will be removing the drive cage and suspending during my next round of mods.