New LianLi PC-V1000 silent case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ephemeral

New LianLi PC-V1000 silent case

Post by Ephemeral » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:14 pm

Anyone have more info on this case? Looks like an update to PC6070 & PC73SL, perhaps even with 1394 & front headphone jacks (if my eyes don't decieve me).

I wasn't able to find much on Lian-Li's site yet. Note the V1000 above it has finally addressed the need for cool air flow for CPU (& harddrives) isolated from air off the CPU HSF.

If they did this with the V1100, that could be a mighty sweet case...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:25 pm

I like it and I already want it. More pictures would sure be nice. Lian-Li seems to be the aluminum experts, so maybe by now they'll have come up with a quiet aluminum case.

Airflow could be tight though. I wish I could see what they're doing for it. We should email Lian-Li and get them to send Rusty one of their cases (since Rusty was complaining about getting all the heavy cases).

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:10 pm

Wow, I just realized that the other V1000 model has a redirecting vent on the upper exhuast fan (although it seems kind of shallow, and not enough to act as a real muffler)...

Still, better to see some of these ideas starting to make their way into manufacturer designs. Man I wish there were more pictures of the 1100...

Harpocrates

Post by Harpocrates » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:35 pm

Here are some higher quality images of the prototypes for these Lian Li cases.

V1000, V2000, V2100

Seems they have changed the final product numbers.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:48 pm

Yeah I noticed immediately that they're BTX, and after looking that the thread at [H], it's obvious I'm not the only one that noticed, but then again I'm part of the [H]/Anand crowd too, so there's little surprise in that...

And I also agree with the comments of G5 ripoff but then again I like the look of the G5, so that's kewl...

The drawback I can see already is the case is bare aluminum, designed for massive flow. This looks like the ultimate case for proving the merits of lining with dampening material! :lol:

-Ed

EDIT: Just wanted to add that if that case's entire front is perforated wide open the way it looks, and not sealed behind the fancy perforated grill, that's a massive air & sound leak right out the front, too.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:52 pm

Only one series of cases appear to be a G5 ripoff. The BTX version of their PC-73SL has no perforations. In fact, it doesn't appear to have any visible air intake.

That to me is mildly disconcerting. The door looks nice and thick though. That might reduce sound and vibrations from that end. The panels and motherboard tray are a different story.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:55 pm

True but that G5 ripoff is the only one I'm personally interested in hehe; I love the look!

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:04 pm

Excellent, just what I was looking for. Thanks Harp. Looks like the intakes for "silent" models are the holes in the bottom of the case (you can barely make them out in the pictures - just like the 73SL except no air filter this time), probably including a small grouping of holes at the front of the case leading to the fan blowing across the hard drives, just like the 73SL as well.

And FINALLY front 1394 and phone/mic jacks. What the hell took them so long?

Looks like I may have to wait for this to arrive. Anyone know how long it typically takes LianLi to go from vapor to shelf?

I don't know if I'd go for the perforated models without the door (I am interested in quiet after all). If I did, I'd probably drill intakes in the bottom, and create a barrier behind the front mesh. If you did this, you could probably create a nice effect with choice of color to see through (say leaving a half inch to inch space behind the mesh), or even add in CCT if you're into lighting up your PC...

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:51 am

You'll find some additional discussion here:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10756

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:19 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Yeah I noticed immediately that they're BTX...
Notice again - they're ATX. In addition, it looks like these cases do not have mobo trays (!), so I doubt you'll be able to upgrade to BTX either.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:43 pm

*Busts out the magnifying glass*

My bad, I stand corrected! *Stares right at shot of the rear panel of V-1000*

How effective this setup remains to be seen, since the product is, effectively, not even out yet...it appears to be an attempt to, "BTXize" ATX.

I'll believe it when I see it in action.

-Ed

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:49 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:it looks like these cases do not have mobo trays (!), so I doubt you'll be able to upgrade to BTX either.
The PCV-1000 lists "*Slidable M/B tray" as a feature, as does the PCV-1200. If the picture looks like it doesn't have the right screws in the back to allow for this, it may be that they've decided to use a standard removable motherboard tray rather than their typical tray which takes all the PCI cards with it. That would be a shame, as those kinds of trays (a Lian-Li hallmark) are fantastic.

I do really like the pseudo-BTX layout. If nothing else, it looks like it will make the system less top-heavy than a typical layout. And if it's under a desk, it would be nice to have the mobo/PCI plugs near the top of the case where they're easy to get to.

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:16 am

These cases look great, they will make the hotest components in todays computers a lots cooler and quieter.

The only problem I see with these cases is a graphics card with a zalman ZM80A-HP or ZM80C-HP. These coolers will not work properly in these cases.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:32 am

Case looks nice. Looks almost BTX to me. Have anyone noticed the separte air path from MB/component area and bottom HDD are which gets flow from PSU? Looks like to me with proper suspension and dampenening, most HDD noise will be killed in this one.
Also for the CPU rest of component cooling area, the fan will draw air through duct at back (hopefully dampened).
It will most likely keep stock VGA cooler much cooler as HS for GPU will be facing correct direction for once. (except those using arctic cooling which will probably have no impact with this).
I am really looking forward to this case :)

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:46 am

Wow I love the V1100. It looks a lot like the PC6070 but solves the airflow issues. Too bad it will still be a long time before I would be able to use them and the BTX/SATA componenets they are designed for.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:20 am

freddec

Post by freddec » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:14 am

The new Lian Li are not BTX, they're just very original (and interesting) in their design.

I like them, I just wonder if they got something on the top rear of the case to help the graphic card cooling. We have plenty of hole (aaarg) for the v1200 but for the v1100, it looks to be an hot point.

Is anybody from the cebit know their availability ?

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:27 pm

The Lian Li site says mid May availability. But actual North American availability could be much later.

The link that halcyon posted shows the 1200 in black, I wonder if the 1100 will be available in black..?

Also its interesting that in all of the shots for the 1000/1200/2000 on LL's site they show the back of case, but on the 1100/2100 they don't. Even on the product page they don't show it. It makes me think that they may realize there could be a heat issue in the upper rear corner and plan to do something about it. Perhaps just plain holes aren't what they want to use since they are calling this case "silent". Mind you just removing one or two PCI slot covers could solve the problem.

Psyco

Post by Psyco » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:11 pm

uhmm, they have the same back and they DO show the back of it...

http://www.lian-li.com/products/pcv2100.htm

http://www.lian-li.com/products/pcv1100.htm

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:28 pm

Anyone know what US reseller would likely get these in first? I'm going to try out the 2100 I think.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:28 pm

Interesting that the 1100 has all that space and still is under 18" tall (450mm). The shroud on the rear fan is strange and the supposedly sealed front bezel is concerning. If someone does something like this is steel I might try it.

Psyco

Post by Psyco » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:55 pm

As soon as my buddy can get one from the US dealer, I will have a 2000. I will post as many pictures as requested!!! I will see if we can get tehm in black to.... :):)

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:20 am

Psyco wrote:uhmm, they have the same back and they DO show the back of it...
http://www.lian-li.com/products/pcv2100.htm
http://www.lian-li.com/products/pcv1100.htm
Yeah thats what I was thinking originally as well. But check it out really carefully, notice how the case curves away at the bottom and top of the case. They are actually showing the v1000 or v1200.

Check out the actual product pages.
v1100 has no 3rd image of the back.
Same here with the v2000
Here is the v1200. Like the other cases with the same styling it shows the back.

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:42 pm

Here is a review I found of the v1000. Shows some new angles and interesting close-ups.
http://www.sweclockers.com/html/recensi ... cv1000.php
Too bad its in Swedish.
Anyone here know of an online translator for Swedish?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:16 pm

Gotta applaud a taiwanese case manufacturer for doing something truly different, for once. It's UPSIDE DOWN PEOPLE!

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:49 am

Bah!!! I've only just got my 6070 :evil:

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:58 pm

wumpus wrote:It's UPSIDE DOWN PEOPLE!
lol :)

Thankfully I found out about these cases before I placed my order for a black 6070 from Bigfoot.

wotan2525

Post by wotan2525 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:50 pm

anyone know when these cases should be out? I was just about to order a 6070, but these lok way awesome! The V1000 really catches my eye!

rob

CRT_Leech

Post by CRT_Leech » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:01 pm

Upside down mounting is not new, except for maybe as a commercially available product. People have been modding their cases to accept upside down motherboards since the graphics cards started putting out so much heat.

The problems I can see with the Lian-Li case:
1) You won't be able to use a heat pipe heat sink for the graphics card, since it would be upside down and it's not meant to work upside down.

2) That divider in between the power supply and the hard drives is so close, it looks like it would make it difficult for routing the wires and limit the cooling ability for the power supply and the hard drives. The mounting area in general for the power supply seems very confined and any bottom mounted fans in said power supplies may prove of little use.

3) The little grille holes ala G5 would probably let in lots of un-filtered dust and make it difficult to quiet down.

4) It seems like the rear fan shroud may restrict the airflow, by causing it to bounce back into the fan itself.

5) The front case fan is isolated from blowing air to the motherboard area by the top sheet of aluminum that covers the hard drives, power supply and connects to the bottom of the front drive bay area. So, it basically blows at the hard drives and stops, since the hole between the hard drives and the power supply is so small and there does not appear to be any better ventilation to the motherboard area. I’m sure that some of the air flow gets there, but, it looks highly restrictive, at best.

Overall, I would say it’s a poorly designed case. I know I would never purchase it. It looks like they were more worried about looks and fell short following through on some potentially good design ideas with the upside down motherboard placement.

Of course, these are just my opinions. :D

jonasy

Post by jonasy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:56 am

bigred wrote:Here is a review I found of the v1000. Shows some new angles and interesting close-ups.
http://www.sweclockers.com/html/recensi ... cv1000.php
Too bad its in Swedish.
Anyone here know of an online translator for Swedish?
Not too many good, unfortunately.

I can translate the pros and the cons:

The good
• Excellent quality
• Very good cooling.
• Easy assembling
• Possible to have many 5.25” and 3.5” devices

The bad
• Expensive
• The included fans are noisy
• Replacement panel for the 3.25” isn’t included (if you don't have a 3.5" drive you still have to have the 3.5" cover panel)

The author really likes the case, but writes that the expectations of a $250-300 case of course are high. He finds the design appealing and there is no doubt that Lian Li does high quality cases. But the fans are noise and as opposite to Lian’s previous cases, no fan controller is included. The "upside down" constructions doesn't bother he writes.

(Yep I’m a Swede – perfect English is not granted)