One 80mm fan enough?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

roaf85

One 80mm fan enough?

Post by roaf85 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:56 pm

I have a cheiftec case and unfortunly low funds to do much this month. However I was thinking of removing 2 of the 3 80mm coolermaster LED fans and moving the thermorister on my Enermax Whisper 431 watt power supply away from the heatsink. This would leave me one exhaust fan. I have a Vantec Aeroflow hsf with antec silver paste at stock speeds in my Antec Plusview 1000AMG case. I am around 46-47 idle and around 57 C at load here in the summer time.

NeilBlanchard

57C is on the high side of comfortable...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:43 pm

Hello:

You are seeing 57C under load with 3 case fans? Maybe you can under volt all three to 5 or 7 volts, or remove the front intake and leave two exhaust and see how that goes for temps?

Are there any restrictive grills on the PS? For the typical stamped slots, a little twisting of the metal left between the slots with a pair of needlenose pliers would increase the air flow and decrease the noise at the same time?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:50 pm

Is that the original aeroflow with the TMD fan? I have one of those, it's a great cooler design but fairly loud stock, definitely louder than any generic 80mm fans... I'd put a $5 Zalman fanmate on it so you can adjust the RPMs. Worked for mine!

Removing the additional fans and moving the thermistor also sounds like a good idea, but based on the noise my Aeroflow makes, I'd wager that is the noisiest thing in your system..

roaf85

Post by roaf85 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:06 pm

The thing is I am really not putting anymore money into this system. I ordered some artic silver 5 to see if drops temps because to be honest I do not even know if the heatsink/fan was put on right since it was so long ago and I did not haress the knowledge that I do today or the experience. Do not know why my temps are in the higher range for load. Summer has some what to do with it but I guess I have always blamed it on the hot Tbred Rev A xp2200 chip. I think I may pick up a fanmate for this heatsink. But people think that I shouldnt only have one 80mm fan running at full speed?

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:27 pm

But people think that I shouldnt only have one 80mm fan running at full speed?
That fan won't be the only exhaust in your case, the PSU will also be acting as an exhaust. You should be able to get away with only 1 fan at the back running @ 7V.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:08 pm

Yeah you should be fine with one 80mm exhaust fan. I still strongly recommend the fanmate for that aeroflow, though. Big improvement on mine, and still puh-lenty of cooling power.

And stay away, anyone who is reading this, from the Aeroflow 2.. the design and the fan are inferior to the original Aeroflow.

roaf85

Post by roaf85 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:29 am

Thanks wumpus. I am going to try one exhaust fan. Also I got some artic silver 5 that I am going to redo the hsf with instead of that crap antec stuff and go for a 166 fsb with a mult. drop from 13.5 stock to 11.5. Should work out. Wish me luck.