Is the case panels even necessary?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dan

Is the case panels even necessary?

Post by dan » Mon May 03, 2004 3:35 pm

Is it even necessary to have the chassis case panels attached on my Aopen midtower ATX case?

i've had the side case panels removed seems to work fine. other stuff in the house like microwave, tv, phone also seems fine.

why do pc's even come with closed cases?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon May 03, 2004 3:38 pm

Heh....panels reduce the noise level for one thing. They also keep little pets, little people, out of your computer. :lol:

hero

Post by hero » Mon May 03, 2004 4:14 pm

1. DUST!!!! Eventually it'll clog up your fans and heatsink and make the CPU even hotter than if you had the side on with poor circulation.
2. Noise.
3. "Let me just set this plate of BBQ chicken wings next to the...OH MY FREAKING SON OF A..."

That being said, mine is currently off until I get everything super quiet with it off then I'll put it back on. It helps me diagnose the source of the noise and try different things quickly.

prof99

Re: Is the case panels even necessary?

Post by prof99 » Mon May 03, 2004 4:45 pm

dan wrote: other stuff in the house like microwave, tv, phone also seems fine.
The microwave? It'll be fine until your arm shrivels up from radiation :wink: . Just keep that in mind...

bcassell
Patron of SPCR

Post by bcassell » Mon May 03, 2004 5:16 pm

prof99 wrote:
dan wrote: other stuff in the house like microwave, tv, phone also seems fine.
The microwave? It'll be fine until your arm shrivels up from radiation :wink: . Just keep that in mind...

I think he meant that the microwave, tv, phone, etc. all work fine when he has the panels off of his computer. Though I have to admit, it's much more entertaining your way =)

Bryan

prof99

Post by prof99 » Mon May 03, 2004 6:41 pm

bcassell wrote:I think he meant that the microwave, tv, phone, etc. all work fine when he has the panels off of his computer. Though I have to admit, it's much more entertaining your way =)
Figures...

I guess I just need to think before I type next time. :lol:

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon May 03, 2004 7:14 pm

prof, bcassell, you two should go on the road as a Vaudeville act. :lol:

But to answer Dan's question: No, you don't need side panels.

They are, however, a very, very good idea. Computers come with solid cases for lots of reasons, safety being foremost among them. There is, afterall, voltage in there. (I have a really funny story about a cat that licked a motherboard, but that'll wait for another day) You legally could not sell a working computer without an enclosed, insulated case.

In a properly configured case your temps will actually be lower overall with side panels on than without. If your temps go down when you take the side off, chances are that you're starving for intake air.

dan

ok

Post by dan » Tue May 04, 2004 12:35 am

my first post was "my fanless undervolted TUALATIN SOYO TISU"

there are NO FANS IN MY CASE. no cpu, psu, gpu, or case fans of any kind. the PSU gets quite hot though. only the WD60BB HD is loud.

i've thought about drilling holes into the case.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue May 04, 2004 2:35 am

Dan,

What is the model of your case? Is it one of those small midtower cases or the larger versions like the H600 series?

The small ones are really cramped and stuffy inside. If you really don't worry about somebody/thing poking inside your case, taking the side panel off is a VERY GOOD idea.

If you're talking about the H600 series, keeping the covers on and adding a single quiet 80mm fan is a VERY GOOD idea. It'll do wonders to your case temps and probably make your PSU run cooler/quieter too, without adding much noise. This setup DOES require the side panels as it lowers temps.

The main reason for panels on AOpen cases IMO is the prevent unwanted large objects getting into the case. Otherwise, concerning the other mentioned points of keeping dust outside or the noise inside, the AOpen cases are just plain horrible.

PS: I don't remember what the smaller midtowers looked like, but cutting out the stamped fan grilles on the rear 80mm holes will do wonders. They're hard to cut though, even with tin snips.

dan

Post by dan » Tue May 04, 2004 4:05 pm

hi,
well i have a small midtower i think it was kf57 series, it's been disconinuted i think.

I thought the purpose of the case panels is to reduce EMI, to keep it at FCC B.

is this correct?

stuartlee

Post by stuartlee » Tue May 04, 2004 8:57 pm

Rusty075 wrote:...I have a really funny story about a cat that licked a motherboard, but that'll wait for another day.....
please, please, please, do tell!

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 07, 2004 8:36 am

..I have a really funny story about a cat that licked a motherboard, but that'll wait for another day.....

yeah let's hear it!