A couple of BQE questions.. really original I know..

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

A couple of BQE questions.. really original I know..

Post by akaidiot » Sun May 16, 2004 2:27 pm

[BS smalltalk]Ok so I'm getting a bqe, the AMB3700 is porhaps a bit more perfect for my need but it won't fit as nicely with my to be tft screen Dell 21" 2001FP(just HAD to brag, I'm so happy!)[/BS smalltalk]

Ok, for you who don't want to bullshit, here are the questions:

1. Can you fit a 80mm fan in the grill(will cut out the grill for the 80mm fan..) easily, basically just pop it in with these?

2. I've got 2 120gb 7200.7's, one in a novibes in the front of the bottom of my chieftec cooled by a M1A24V and the other one in the back kind of hot. Well I was planning to maybe cut the HD cage and place the 2 HDs in 2 novibes on the bottom, is it possible or will it implode on me.. :roll: . Or is that completly unneccessary since the M1A24V won't cause so much turbulence.. Or will the 2 novibes make the HDs much quieter? OR will the case be so cool that I can have the 2 HDs in the 5,25" slots?

3. Is the fan filter included?(I opened up my chieftec today and it was like opening up my grandfathers grave, dusty as hell!)

4. Got an input? I will basically have the same PC as in my sign other then the mentioned things here and a ATI X800PRO GFX... A M1A24V in the front@12V and a panaflo120mm@5V in the rear. Also, I'm planning to buy the acoustipack BQE precut dampening kit..

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Sun May 16, 2004 2:45 pm

If you go with the AMB, you can suspend your drives in the drive cage by turning them sideways.

You might also want to consider CompuCase LX-6A19, in black - 3700AMB is the same case with different panels, and it'll match your monitor nicely. That's what I'm planning to put beside my new ViewSonic VP171b anyway.

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Sun May 16, 2004 2:49 pm

Gholam wrote:If you go with the AMB, you can suspend your drives in the drive cage by turning them sideways.

You might also want to consider CompuCase LX-6A19, in black - 3700AMB is the same case with different panels, and it'll match your monitor nicely. That's what I'm planning to put beside my new ViewSonic VP171b anyway.
I live in sweden so the CompuCase LX-6A19 isn't an option(besides, it's quite ugly acording to me.. :wink:)

Sardaan

Post by Sardaan » Sun May 16, 2004 4:30 pm

#1: I have no clue, but why would you want to use 80mm fans? It comes with a "fairly nice" 120mm fan, you won't need one for the front. The fan is prolly not up to par for the SPR crowd, but it holds it's own IMHO.

#2: I don't know 100%, but based on this Sonata thread (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10084) I would guess you can.

#3: Yes

#4: Should work out well. I have the BQE and I love it, I am taking a long term approach to how fast I make the case silent. My wife gets a little upset if I by to much comp gear each month :roll:

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Sun May 16, 2004 5:54 pm

Sardaan wrote:#1: I have no clue, but why would you want to use 80mm fans? It comes with a "fairly nice" 120mm fan, you won't need one for the front. The fan is prolly not up to par for the SPR crowd, but it holds it's own IMHO.

#2: I don't know 100%, but based on this Sonata thread (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10084) I would guess you can.

#3: Yes

#4: Should work out well. I have the BQE and I love it, I am taking a long term approach to how fast I make the case silent. My wife gets a little upset if I by to much comp gear each month :roll:
1. So you say I don't need any fan in front. It's either that or an 80mm, and the M1A24V is somewhat "silent"@12V, porhaps I'll just keep it there and start it up whenever I feel the need(the need for speed! :twisted: :roll: ), I've got a MFC1 fan controller so.. But can someone tell me if the holes make it possible to easily install e 80mm with fan isolators?

2. Great. What is the best way to cut away the HD cage? Tin snip like always or some sort of saw? A picture of the prefered tool would be appreciated since I live in sweden and don't always have access t othe US(or whatever) product range and I'm not a native english speaker so I might not understand which tool it is just by the name..(poor poor me :roll: )

3. Great! I just heard that in the upcoming acoustipack precut for the BQE a dust filter will be included, is the Antec filter bad in any way? Picture please 8) :
Jeremy of AcoustiProducts wrote:We are in the last training courses of testing this kit. It won' T Be available for 6
weeks even now I' m afraid because of the manufacturing time. We' Re sorry
developing these kits takes so long - we are doing all we edge to speed up
the process. Getting the important kit right is though.

The BQE kit will help the dust problem with the BQE because we intend to
include has washable dust filter for the face of the box.
I got this from here(babelfish is my friend..). The above quote is posted 20 April..

4. I live of my student subsidy so I can't go top of the line all the time(well never.. :wink: )

Sardaan

Post by Sardaan » Mon May 17, 2004 3:58 am

#1: I really don't think you will need the front fan. I am running the 120mm fan that comes with the case and of course my PSU fan. When I place my hand over the front panel, I can feel the air being sucked inside.

#2: Wiss Tin Snips will cut through the grill like Butter ($12.99 at home depot). Search the forums for more info, but get red or green (color indicates which direction of circle they cut)...both if you can afford it. Then pick up a steal file for corse (spelling?) finish. Tell the guy you are looking to file down some rough edges on a piece of sheet metal about 1-2mm thick. Should not cost more than $5.

Word of caution here, do not skimp on the tin snips. The Wiss are top of the line, cheap ones will not be able to cut a piece of paper within a few cuts.

#3: Same

akaidiot
Friend of SPCR

Post by akaidiot » Tue May 18, 2004 9:00 am

Ok, so I've got a FSP350-60PN right now in my Chieftec. Now with the 3700BQE case will that 120mm fan PSU be overkill? Thinking of buying the Enermax EMX-EG475P-VE PSU? Will it be more quiet since I'll be having a 120mm fan right below it?(L1A@5V..)

Also, nobody has answered and confirmed that an 80mm fan is easily mountable in the fron fan grill?

Sardaan

Post by Sardaan » Tue May 18, 2004 9:43 am

I don't think that you will have a problem with either PSU, if you don't need a new PSU and your current one is quiet enough then I don't see a need to toss down any cash.

I have no clue regarding your 80mm fan but I would guess that you will beable to find away to mount it. The grill has lots of holes etc. Again I would set the system up without a front fan mounted and see how things work out.