Lian-Li PC60 - 4th fan?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Lian-Li PC60 - 4th fan?

Post by Tigr » Fri May 21, 2004 2:41 pm

Hello, folks!

The specification of Lian-Li PC60 case says that there are 4 8cm fans. 2 of them are in the bottom front, one in the back as the exhaust. Where is the 4th fan?

TIA

DonP

Post by DonP » Fri May 21, 2004 3:08 pm

Initially I thought this was weird and thought where the hell could it be?? I thought that they've put in another on at the back (there is enough space).. but then I remember (someone correct me if I'm wrong).. that they added one in the top.. I think... I'll try and find some pics on the web.

EDIT: found a picturefrom this page.

EDIT2: Also found linkage to a dual rear fan mod.

Nickp

Post by Nickp » Fri May 21, 2004 3:41 pm

Yes the fan is in the top and I have found that it does little to cool the case. I changed mine to a window and the pc got quieter without getting any warmer.

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Sat May 22, 2004 2:33 am

Ok, thanks a lot!

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Sat May 22, 2004 4:38 am

The 4th fan isn't really needed to get a cool enough case. But you can use the opening at the top to duct fresh air into the PSU, have you ever thought of that? Only works if you have an 80mm fan PSU with no bottom vents. I have a round 80mm top blowhole I made myself on my PC-65 but the only thing keeping me from making a duct is that I have a 120mm fan PSU atm. If i had an 80mm I wouldn't think twice. So the top blowhole is sealed until I get another PSU, but that won't happen soon as I'm pleased with my current PSU and it's fairly new and already modded for silent operation.

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Sat May 22, 2004 11:14 am

Yes, this is exactly wat I am thinking about. I will probably get a Zalman PSU and duct the top opening to the PSU. After that, the rest of the case is a prime candidate for positive pressure setup with CPU exhaust ducting... I want to have a look at the case in the real life though to make sure how it will work...

abelsson

Post by abelsson » Sat May 22, 2004 12:08 pm

That's exactly what I did with my PC60. I taped a piece of cardboard between the top fan cutout (after removing the fan) and the PSU intake. The end result was a noticeably cooler and quieter PSU, when it didn't have to cool itself with hot air from the rest of the system.

A single low speed exhaust fan (a Pabst 8412NGMLV in my case, if you'll pardon the pun) is plenty to exhaust the hot air from my system (Athlon 2400+).

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Sat May 22, 2004 1:03 pm

the rest of the case is a prime candidate for positive pressure setup with CPU exhaust ducting
Don't you mean negative pressure? I have negative pressure on my case, removed the front fans completly. Only exhaust is an 80L1A at the back @ ~6.5v and a 120mm papst @ 800rpm on the PSU. The back fan grill is removed(essential) and so is the PSU fan grill. I do have my case fairly sealed and with a 'duct' around the bottom front filter so that the air only comes in through the front openings, you see, there is a gap between the filter and the front fascia wich leads to dust bypassing the filter and being sucked through the little holes at the front and mostly through the 3.5" cage and unused 5.25" slots. My case is much cleaner now. And the low speed exhaust fans are more than enough to cool it. I removed the front filter yesterday and was amazed at the amount of dust it had collected, never thought those low spinning fans at the back had so much sucking power. I'm a negative pressure preacher now. :)

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sat May 22, 2004 4:25 pm

Just a note: Compusa used to sell a 5 fan version, PC-82com, but has discontinued it. It had the usual 2 front, one top fans and 2 on the motherboard tray as well as a window side door and a different front trim than the regular PC-60.

I wish I'd got one :( because I always liked the PC-60 design and I've not seen anyone else selling the two rear fan version.

You snooze, you lose.

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Sat May 22, 2004 9:31 pm

Nowhere_man wrote:Compusa used to sell a 5 fan version, PC-82com, but has discontinued it.
Why on earth would you want so many 80mm fans? One at the back is enough. :)

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sun May 23, 2004 1:32 am

Extra fan mounts, to me anyway, are handy whether you put a fan in them or not, notice how many folks duct the cpu? and it's easier to cover up a hole than to make a hole.

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Sun May 23, 2004 10:30 am

idealcrash wrote: Don't you mean negative pressure? I have negative pressure on my case, removed the front fans completly.
Yes, this is one way to do it. I will try to see how well it works anyway. However...

I plan initially to try exactly the opposite, really. With 2 fans in front, let's say Papst 8412NGL at.. mmm... let's say 7 volts, the case will have positive pressure with the single fan exhausting from the CPU. That'll mean clean air. I understand what you do but I am worried about my CD drives getting fusty so I prefer to control the air intake.

Actually, thinking about it, it may be just enough to leave the front fans on and remove the back fan completely. Then, using a Zalman 6000 I should be able to cool an undervolted Barton. A lot of space for experimenting :)