Lian Li PC-73SL

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Lian Li PC-73SL

Post by Gxcad » Sat May 22, 2004 3:39 pm

Thought its a VERY interesting looking quiet case candidate from Lian Li. Here is one review I found, has this case had much discussion here yet? Searching only found me very short threads. Its about $220 and uses 80mm fans...I know some of you prefer 120mm but I actually prefer 80mm so thats not a problem for me... ;) .

http://www.maxitmag.co.uk/reviews/index ... view_id=33

-Ken

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sat May 22, 2004 5:25 pm

If we take a look from a different angle we can see the inclusion of two fans on the front of the case. Wait a minute, there was no evidence of fans from the outside? Obviously LianLi did not want to spoil the front by cutting two holes to allow fresh air to be sucked in across the drives while allowing hard drive and system noise to escape - the front door would make this feature useless anyway. So while not as effective as blowholes with direct access to outside air, they will help keep hard drive temperatures down by circling inside air over the units. Indeed with a couple of Western Digital Raptors fitted in raid 0 stance we noticed better temperatures on our drives than in our faithful Coolermaster ATC 201SXT with two external 80mm blowholes to the front. I think LianLi made a very good choice here. Front blowholes are a pain - they allow noise from the hard drives to escape from the front of the case and suck dust in across all the system components - even with fan filters on. So another thumbs up to LianLi. You'd have to think by now someone at LianLi knew a thing or two about cases eh?
I'm surprised that the lack of front air intake doesn't completely muck up case airflow, especially the hard drive cooling. Interesting...

Also, I like the "sugar" at the end of the review... :shock: :P

idealcrash

Post by idealcrash » Sat May 22, 2004 9:19 pm

I see Lian Li are using fan guards on the exterior at the back. Now it must be just a matter of removing those guards to have good airflow without doing any cutting. Wish they had thought of that before. :evil:

Very nice case pics at the end of the review. :shock:

danielvh

Post by danielvh » Sat May 22, 2004 10:07 pm

Man I don't think any review site has ever sucked up to a company as that one to Lian-Li. Just shocking. No flaws were mentioned (and there are a few) and the whole review just had "we love you lian-li" written all over it.

Daniel

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun May 23, 2004 5:29 am

Previous posts about this case (including a link to a different review) here and here.