SV25 dead, so new PSU or new case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

fancontrol

SV25 dead, so new PSU or new case?

Post by fancontrol » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:36 pm

My closet server is a shuttle SV25 (no grills, ducted cpu, my fan controller). A week or so ago the PSU blew and now it's running with the covers off and a spare--loud--atx supply.

A new PSU for the shuttle will run me US$40+ as far as I can tell. A quick search on ebay indicates that I could get something case-like for less than that. So now I'm thinking it might be worth just getting a new case and moving over the guts. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Reasons to buy the Shuttle PSU:
Plug-n-chug: I can be back up to par an hour after the PSU arrives.

Reasons to buy a new case:
Could save some $$.
Bigger case means more room (for silence and/or add'l parts).
Since it's in a closet I don't care about looks.
Something with an ATX supply means I won't go through this again.

Reasons not to buy a new case:
Have to find (or mod) something to fit the mini-ATX board.
Have to make new ducts, find new fans, etc.

Talk to me, people. Before I do something stupid.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:34 am

New PSU. Why dick around changing everything for a lowly closet server? I assume it's perfectly functional in it's current configuration?

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:48 am

Expansion, now that I think about it, is the big perk. Right now there's no room for my fan controller (it sits outside the box) or a larger, perhaps passive, heatsink or a 2nd drive or or or....

So, given that I have to spend money, should I try to get into a bigger case at the same time? I should have made this a poll...

miyagi_

Post by miyagi_ » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:48 am

Get an In-Win V500, $36 with a 250w (silent) power supply.

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:32 pm

I ended up getting a case. Mini-tower, 300W supply, $10 after rebate from Fry's!

I'm certain that I got what I paid for. The thing must be made of 20ga steel. I think if I punched it my hand would go though.

The good news is I was able to mount a 2nd drive (noisy old 2.5", but spun down most of the time) as scratch space, and the case is so roomy and full of holes that I don't need a chassis fan.

I took out the psu fan and replaced it with a 24V 0.3A fan I had lying around. I also cut out the grills on the inlet and outlet to the PSU.

I mounted my fan controller to the inside top of the case (so nice to have so much room!) so it should be measuring the hottest temp in the case.

Now the controller runs the CPU fan based on HS temp just like the old case. The PSU fan speed is based on case temp and, retentively, PSU exhaust air temp. Sweet!

The 24V fan may have been too much; it looks like there isn't much room at the high end. Better baffling and/or ducting could add some margin. Worst case I suck it up and put a fan in the chassis.

The next step is to update the firmware on the board to support the little LCDs I have around then mount the display. Then watch the gallery for my $10 of bling!