Lian Li's new V1100 Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

D'Artagnan

Lian Li's new V1100 Case

Post by D'Artagnan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:50 am

I have seen a few posts from people saying that they would buy the Lian Li PC V1100 case soon. Has anyone? I am a little hesitant to spend that much money on a case which only three sites have reviewed:
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/ ... _PC-V1100/
http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/cases ... /index.php
http://www.materiel.be/cases/lianliv1100/page1.php
Materiel.be wasnt even that happy with the case, and reported temperatures that were average at best, while Gruntville's article reported great temps for the case. None of the review sites have really adressed how silent the case is, which I see as a big flaw in thier reviews, since this is being marketed as a silent case.
So, has anyone tried this case? Does it have good airflow and temps even though there is a ristrictive front door (actual numbers would be greatly apreciated), and is it a quiet case?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:12 pm

Use the "search" function, it works real good here at SPCR.

I seem to remember a thread titiled "my new Lian-Li case is on it's way" or something like that. I'm pretty sure a couple of people here at SPCR are using the V1000, which is essentially the same case.

My 2¢ is that I'd never use an aluminum case if I wanted a quiet system. It just resonates too much.

D'Artagnan

Post by D'Artagnan » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:17 pm

Well, I am hopeing that the sound dampening matterial and design will help with the extra noises of aluminum cases. I realy want to know about the effect the door on the V1100 has on the air flow of the case. It looks like it would dramatically change it from the very open front of the V1000. I'll look some more, but it seems that the posts are about the V1000, not the V1100.

coop

Post by coop » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:21 pm

I would like to put in my 2 cent on both the Lian Li pc-v1000 and pc-v1100.

I originally bought the black version of the pc-v1100 from newegg.com. I was rather disappointed in the over look of the case. Overall the quality was great but the black anodized aluminum was scratched and seems to be chipping off?? My understanding is that this stuff is supposed to be rather solid?

Another issue was the insulation material they used. The stuff just smelled very very bad. There was a left over label that stated toxic. As long as the case was closed and no fans on you did not really smell it. Needless to say, I returned this item.

So I then ordered the v-1000 again in black. I really like the over all look of this case better. Everything was very solid except again for the anodized black aluminum. Again, it was all scratched up. I am wondering if Lian Li is having some kind of quality control issue where they are not letting it finish being treated before assembling and shipping out?

I have bought Lian Li cases in the past and all of them have been perfect. This seems not be the case and I am going to exchange this case for the same one was I do very much like this case over all.

The only thing I do worry about is, I bought the Seasonic super tornado 400. This power supply will have to be turned upside down where the fan will be sucking air from the ground though the holes. Lian Li should have put some kind of air filter in that location as I can see that being an issue rather soon.

Jalum

i have a pc-v1100 silver case

Post by Jalum » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:27 pm

I got me a silver pc-v1100 case last week. I finished putting it together yesterday but I haven't had too much time to play with it yet.

The overall look of the case is clean. The case comes with CD bezel and a Floppy bezel for 5 1/4 drive bay. The front door comes off and looks good with it or without it.

As for the dampening material, I wasn't too impressed with it. It does seem to help when you have the front door closed with all the panels on, but it won't make a noisy computer quiet.

I got a P4 2.8c running at 3.64 at the moment with stock cpu fan. The stock cpu fan is very noisy in my opinion. The case does dampen it a bit but its still pretty loud. I also have a ati 9800 xt in the case with 2 samsung hds. I haven't had too much time to check the temp but so far, I haven't had any problems. I'll post some temp numbers if anyone is interested... but be warned, I got an Asus m/b so take the temp # with a grain of salt...

Oh, and don't get black. Unless you like cleaning your finger prints every so often... I've built a few 6070b cases...

btw, the case is pretty heavy compared to Lian Li 6070 aluminum cases...

bigred
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by bigred » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:09 pm

Jalum, do you mean that black comes off the case??

From what I've seen anodized aluminium does not flake or leave any colour on your hands.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:11 pm

[quote]The only thing I do worry about is, I bought the Seasonic super tornado 400. This power supply will have to be turned upside down where the fan will be sucking air from the ground though the holes. Lian Li should have put some kind of air filter in that location as I can see that being an issue rather soon.[/quote]

For that power supply, isn't the big 120mm fan downwards "right side up"? I thought it was designed to suck air away from the CPU (and the rest of the case) to be exhausted out the back, not as some kind of blowhole exhaust ...

[I've been a Dell dude for a long time and have to wait before I can build my first system.]

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:35 pm

Yes; the 120mm fan pointing down, pulling air upwards is right-side-up. It probably appears upside-down to him because suddenly the label is facing the side of the case such that you can't read it anymore; the reason is that in a standard ATX case, the open side is the opposite side from that of the V-1X00 design, and we're talking about an ATX PSU, after all. It's Lian-Li that BTX'd out this ATX case by flipping everything over.

-Ed

nannygoat

Post by nannygoat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:32 am

Does anyone know whether the hard drive racks on the V-series are riveted to the main chassis, or screwed on? If I was going to try some DIY suspension I'd like to know I could go back to the original mounting system...
Also, for those who've tried the V1100 or V2100, is the damping material up to acoustipack deluxe standard?

"Yeah I build bodies, I take them apart and put them back together again"

coop

Post by coop » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:39 am

The power supply works rather well in this case as it brings air from the outside into the power supply and vents directly out at that point. The only thing I thought that Lian Li should have done was put a dust filter on the bottom of the case were the air is sucked in from.

With regards to the hard drive racks, they are rivted into the case. However, the plastic holders for the hard drives are screwed into the racks. You could remove those and try to suspend the hard drives. I have not tested how loud the hard drive racks are yet. That will come one I receive the replacement case.

Project

Post by Project » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:27 pm

how are the stock fans that come with it?

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:03 pm

I am finalizing my Athlon 64 build in the V-1000 case, the one with the mesh front (eg, without the metal door). Ok technically it's the V-2000, the taller full tower one, but it's virtually the same thing.

It is a very high quality case, with some really innovative features.

However, the mesh front allows a LOT of noise out. I was actually shocked how noisy it sounded with such slow fans (vantec stealth 80mm @ 1000rpm, evercool al 120mm @ 1500rpm), then I realized that there's a nearly direct path from my ears to the fans when I sit at my normal computing position, blocked only by mesh :(

I guess I'm a believer in the power of restrictive front bezels now, after experiencing the "fresh mesh".

To compensate, I've put some acoustic eggcrate foam behind all the empty drive bay plates, and in a few other internal areas that are not visible from the outside and shouldn't impact airflow. That definitely helped. Now the bottom area is very "whooshy", really quite noisy considering how few fans I have and how slow they are running. I guess it's the wind tunnel effect? I may end up putting some foam behind that as well, which will impact airflow, but I'm wondering how much air actually moves in that drive bay area anyway, since it's compartmentalized..

pwjone1

How cool are the top card slots?

Post by pwjone1 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:19 pm

The V1100 looks like an interesting and potentially fairly quiet case, but I just have to wonder if the top card slots are really all that cool. Just seems like hot air would like to rise, and there's not a lot of active cooling up there to cause it not to eddy arround a bit, and heat up the cards. Yes, the CPU has a big 120mm fan right next to it (of course, for some reason the reviews seem to say that's not working as well as one might expect).

The material.be review:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 8%26sa%3DG

(not sure the translation URL will work here) does seem to indicated the case top is not too bad, but it's difficult to know if I'm reading it correctly., and I cannot seem to find an ambient temperatuter listed.

But then maybe I'm just having difficulty understanding the top down air flow, and compartments, and certainly a lot of this sort of thing occurs in the really large servers. But I have to wonder just a bit:

1. Is the air flow over the hard disks all that great?

(Yes, the 120mm input fan is nice, but there doesn't look like
enough holes in the compartment for it to go out.)

2. Does the power supply breath properly?

(Granted, keeping it away from the heat producers has to help,
but one of those nice 120mm bottom mount fans would just
seem to have not enough room to move air (and from where,
the bottom?))

3. Where does the air for the back case holes come from?

(Looks like they're trying to cool the cards by pulling in
through holes in the back. Fine, makes sense, but that
air has to be hot, as there's a lot coming off the bottom
and out the back of the unit (instead of the normal flow
direction)

4. Do the top drives get enough air flow?

(with the drives at the top and all the holes in the box, is
enough air drawn over the front drives)