Any chance of a Lian Li PC6070A/B review?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

meglamaniac

Any chance of a Lian Li PC6070A/B review?

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:24 am

I'm liking the look of the new PC6070 series (A is a silver/black combo, B is all black).

Link:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/1049.jpg <-- A
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/1009.jpg <-- B

They are geared towards silence and come with foam insulation as standard. Would be interesting to see how SPCR rates them!

:)

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:28 am

check out the recommended cases section, i believe that is brought up in there...

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:00 am

You're also very welcome to send one to me for a review. :lol:

Lian-Li has been very un-responsive to requests for review samples, perhaps a few (hundred) emails telling them that you would buy one if we reviewed it would loosen them up. :wink:

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:14 am

Well, if only I had enough cash to buy one for you and one for me...!

My situation is kinda like this:
Around xmas time I'm building myself a new system as my current one (XP2000, GeForce4, 512MB RAM) is starting to struggle and is not really upgradeable (AGP 4X only, board won't go over a XP2500, etc etc).

Like my current one, I want the new one to be quiet. This time i've got more funding so I'm going for damn near inaudible, as well as a Socket 939 Athlon64 based system with whatever the best 100% passively cooled graphics card around at the time is (right now thats the Sapphire 9800Pro 256Mb Ultimate). I've singled out 2 cases:

1) Antec Sonata. Costs £80-90ish. Need to spend another £30-40ish to get enough acoustic matting for the case. Comes with PSU but it's not the quietest around by a long shot so I'd ebay it and get another. Overall case build quality is ok but not brilliant, has some nice features like rubberised HD mounts. Shame about the cheesey always on blue LED thingy, and not too keen on the "antec" punch holes.

2) Lian Li PC6070. Costs £120-130ish. Acoutic matting and rubber noise seals prefitted so no extra cost. No PSU allowing me to choose my own without the hassle of getting rid of a crap one. Money saved by supplying it without a PSU is presumably spent on the build quality of the case, and as it's a Lian Li that should go without saying. It also looks fantastic (i'm into the whole minimalist thing. No neons, windows and flashing LEDs for me).

So I was leaning towards the Lian Li, because once you've added on the cost of silencing the Antec they cost about the same, and lets face it the Lian Li should be a vastly superior case. Also it comes with the standard Lian Li niceties such as a removeable motherboard tray and so on. And there's just something about the 6070B (the black one) that just makes it look DAMN good. :D

The only problem is I haven't been able to find a single site that has reviewed both the Antec and the Lian Li so that I can see them side by side written by the same review team and make a decent comparison.

Oh well.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:29 am

I have the B version. The acoustic matting is not very thick, but it does block a noticeable difference in noise. I covered the bottom and the back with Whisper-Mat.

It is a pretty case, and I think it is well layed out. However, it is a bit too small for a guy with big hands. My previous case was a Chenming 601 (Chieftec Dragon) and it was cavernous. Very easy to wire etc. The 6070 is a bit more of a challenge for me to wire. I do love the door, it does really cut down on noise. The paint is the usual Lian Li beautiful paint job.

I guess in summary it is a nice case, but I don't think it is worth buying if the sole purpose is for buying a silent case. If it is for silence, I would probably get a Sonata and mat it. It would be more quiet. Expecially considering it has two 120 mm fans vs the 3 to 4 that can go in the 6070.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:59 am

I don't have big hands so thats one issue that doesn't apply to me. Anyway, surely thats why the motherboard tray is removable?
What colour are the LEDs for power and IDE activity btw?

As for fans I know where I can get some high airflow 80mm fans rated at 16dba, and I have rubber mounts etc so noise shouldn't be an issue. Also they'll be connected to a baybus so I can vary them anyway.

Also, the case just does look stylish doesnt it. :D

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:20 pm

Well, putting the board on the tray is the easy part. Hiding power cables, ide or sata cables is a bit more of a choir.

The Power light is VERY bright blue and the HDD light is VERY bright red.

I have SilenX 14dba fans for my system fans and a Acoustifan 92mm fan for my cpu fan. Pretty darn quiet.

It is a beautiful case. :)

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:49 pm

Ahh, 14dba eh? I was already looking at SilenX PSUs, didn't realise they did fans too. I'll have to check them out, doesn't matter if they're a bit pricey as this is a big budget project (I'm looking at 1Gb of corsair ram which don't come cheap!). I figure I can flog the old system off to make up the difference.

Glad to hear it's a red/blue combo - I expected as much but it's nice to know. I've already been warned that they're very bright!