Dilemma: buy an ATX case or wait and buy then a BTX?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Do you think that we are going to see BTX cases and mobos on the market soon?

Definitely YES
No votes
Unsure
25%
Definitely NO
75%

Total votes: 28

Acetylator

Dilemma: buy an ATX case or wait and buy then a BTX?

Post by Acetylator » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:12 am

Hello all!

I have a dilemma. Right now I am upgrading my computer and building new water-cooling system. Now I have middle tower case and I would like to buy big tower to have more space. I don't wanna buy some cheapo case, I want a good one, which will be a bit expensive (at least for me). All of you have heard about new mysterious formfactor - BTX, that is being pushed by Intel. What do you think, should I wait and buy a BTX case, or buy a standard ATX case? Please note, that I don't plan to buy in the recent time new mobo (or even if I do, it will be still ATX mobo). As I read some articles, no one knows too much about BTX - will it be used or not at the end. I heard that many of case manufacturers don't like BTX and it seems that now they don't even plan to manufacture BTX cases. My opinion is that we won't know the truth, because if they say "Yes, we are going to go in BTX soon" then no one will buy ATX cases. So, folks, your advice - would you buy an ATX case now or you would rather wait for a BTX one? What do you think of BTX? Do you think it will survive? Maybe you know some unofficial rumors about it? Share your wisdom :-)

Thanks to all in advance, Acetylator.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:43 am

Using the search function:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/search ... de=results
I found this one:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14826

BTX seems pretty much vaporware a.t.m.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:37 pm

ATX is here now, and fits todays products. BTX is vapor, and may or may not fit future Intel products (AMD at present is saying no to BTX) I don't think ATX is going away anytime soon, so I would stick with ATX until and unless I see a really good reason to purchase BTX.

Gooserider

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:04 pm

My advise, buy what you need today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

chucuSCAD

scara

Post by scara » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:00 am

I wondered this recently and came to the conclusion that since there are no BTX cases available (even in production?) it will be at least a year before they're common. Even after that it would be two years or more before ATX cases disappeared from the shelves. Will you still be using that system in three years - probably not so get an ATX.

Rich

Ken5d

Post by Ken5d » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:30 am

there are no BTX cases available
The Cooler Master CM Stacker might be a good "future proof" investment (though it costs 2x as much as many other cases). It's an ATX case, but it can be converted to a BTX case by just moving around some parts.

Ken

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:27 pm

Intel wanted all 925X boards to be BTX... It says a lot that they arent any BTX versions out. The whole design was crap, all the vendors and manufacturers knew it, many voiced that at conventions.

Straker

Post by Straker » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:34 pm

even if you could buy more than one or two BTX cases right now (including ones like the Stacker), who cares? ATX definitely isn't going anywhere for a while, that'd be like trying to eliminate VGA. :P

msm_zgok

Post by msm_zgok » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:35 pm

Stick it ATX, nothing's wrong with it. I'd rather have the CPU be one of the last components the airflow reaches as they're made to handle higher temperatures. Having the CPU preheat the air fbefore it goes to the GPU and RAM isn't ideal for me.