Lian Li V1100 Overkill? Please Help, Buying tommorow.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rcordorica

Lian Li V1100 Overkill? Please Help, Buying tommorow.

Post by rcordorica » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:11 pm

First of all, Thank You! SilentPC and forums. I have been reading for weeks almost spending my whole day trying to figure out what i need for my next system. I've read the recommendations and they have helped pick out some of my components. This PC is going to be my first attemp at a SilentPC. It is going to be right next to my bed in my dorm. It can't disturb me or my roommate. I come from an overclocking background, so I have had really loud fans till now. I am just sick of the noise!

So, please help me. Here are my future system specs as of now:

Lian Li PC-V1100B = $219 + Tax
Pioneer 108 = $100
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum = $139
Athlon 64 S939 3500+ = $353
Mitsumi Floppy/Flash = $29
Thermalright XP-120 w/fan = $60
Or
Zalman 7000= $42.95
6800GT = $397
Enermax EG475AX-VE-SFMA = $103

Now I ask, is the V1100 any good at being silent? I know it's great for cooling. Next, are there any alturnatives that are cheaper but provide silent computing? I read the recommendations for the Antec 3700BQE, but I am not sure how quiet it is. Can anybody give thier opinion.

Basically, I am willing to spend the $219 for the Lian Li, but I don't have any good scientifical basis for buying it (like SilentPC's dB measurements) Is it the best silent PC for my situation. How about the V1000 with the holes? Some completely different case but with quieter fans? Please point me in the right direction.

THank YOU!

rcordorica

Post by rcordorica » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:31 am

okay, i think i decided to change from S939 chips to S754 because they are so much cheaper... But i really do need help with the cooling issue. Thanks!

Btw, the new mobo I choose supports the XP-120 (K8N-E Deluxe). So what 120mm fan should i get for near silent but good cooling. I am not familar with any of the makers. Thank You!

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:19 am

Generally people here go for steel cases rather than aluminium ones, less resonance and less noise. Also quiet computers get hot so need excellent airflow.

It would be worth looking at Ralph Hutters system in the general gallery, and anything by Bluefront if you want to get esoteric.

Problems with your current choice would seem to be

1) dust, you'll have to clean the insides alot.
2) the hard drives may resonate (although being low down, assuming the machine will stand on the floor) is good
3) all those holes will make it difficult to direct your airflow where you want it to go.

Its a very pretty G5 ripoff, but if silence is your priority I would concentrate on function rather than looks, and perhaps go for something like an Acousticase.

There is a recent roundup of fans on the main page, you should be able to get good recommendations there. Also look at Artic Cooling products for your graphics card. Finally choose your hard disk and its mounting carefully, in a good air cooled quite system the hard disk can often be the noisiest component.

Good luck

AndyP

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:37 am

The 6800 GT ( I assume the ultra as well) is the loudest fan in my case. I am awaiting an arctic cooling nv5 but the speed of its fan will probably have to be reduced as well. Check the gpu section for a quieter alternative. If doom3 is mandatory figure making an investment to quiet that puppy down.

I have a CM Stacker and the well venilated design allows 2 dead silent 120mm fans to keep the interior cool. I prefer this approach as it is easier to get rid of heat as there is nowhere for it to pool in the case. I assume the Lian Li will do as well.
If your roomy bitches about "hard drive clatter" have him (or her) committed.:wink:
Why can't you turn it off at night? What happens if your roomy 's computer keeps you up. Get a laptop, Once you enter the realm of undervolted, variable thermister, rpm sensing, cold air intaking hot air exhauting,not to mention silencing hard drive, madness there is no escape. Read the articles (esp. recommended section) and stickeys if you don't believe me.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:31 pm

I know it's great for cooling.
... not necessarily. You got dampening foam all over the place, and the only source for air is the front bottom vent, or the vents along the bottom, which are restictive due to the fact that there are metal panels on top of those vents preventing air from directly coming in.
Its a very pretty G5 ripoff,
You're thinking of the V1000. The V1100 is different.

Project

Post by Project » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:43 pm

if i were u get the v1000, i got the v1100, and it looks great and everything, but my hd temps were a bit high, i hd to remove the 5 1/2 bay covers to let cool air into the case, now my 7200.7 idles around 34'c which is awesome. i think the v1000 would cool your stuff better

utekineir

Post by utekineir » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:42 pm

I've got the v1100, i set it up for wc, removed both hd cages and the power supply divider. Also to increase the airflow i cut away a bunch of the grill on the bottom filter with a dremmel and i'm not using the 2nd filter, the intake goes right to my rad. Lined it with leftover powersnooze foam i had.
The case is expensive as hell but its quality is really impressive. My old sonata lined with powersnooze, a zm80 on the video, zalman 7000, and a modded ps was damn near silent too though even with 3 7200 rpm hd's. The lian is a really impressive quality case though, just expensive. The stock fans can be silent with a controller. I love it for wc, besides some air noise nearly all of what i hear is the ocz power supply which i'm going to mod with m1a's.

I've never used a bqe, but i loved the sonata after i bent the front of the ps, replaced the fan, removed all the grills, dremmeled away some in front of the hd's (connect the dots) and opened up the bezel a good bit, and lined it with the powersnooze kit. None of which changed its appearance from the outside. You can even line the inside of the drive door with foam.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:19 pm

...Or just buy some tin snips and the cheapest case you can bear to look at - then really have some fun...

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:54 pm

I have a BQE. On WC(Reserator). It's nice, easy, and pretty moderately priced.