Sonata/BQE dilemma

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

xlyz

Post by xlyz » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:31 pm

what about this then?

or this? 8)

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:11 pm

Both have restricted front ventalation. At least the Centurion has the side punched holes. Is the entire bottom front a grill mesh?

xlyz

Post by xlyz » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:37 pm

the entire front is a grill mesh

given the cost (like a 3700 bqe) and being lower, with better style and front panel, it's my favourite now (see my other post ;) )

if only someone can comment on how much noise escapes from that mesh :roll: (first hand experience only, I can speculate myself :wink: )

xlyz

Post by xlyz » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:28 pm

ok, found a good deal for a 2nd hand 1 week old cooler master centurion 5.

I'm quite sure quietness will not be top notch, but I like its style a lot.

once here it will be filled with a nf7-s + mobile barton + zalman 7000 al cu and some other stuff.

PSU and front fan are the first candidates for a swap, but let's hear it in action first

if anybody is interested in a report, let me know

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:29 pm

Get a Zalman Northbridge heatsink for the Mobo too ;)

davidstone28

Re: Sonata/BQE dilemma

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:00 pm

tomknight wrote:I have a choice of cases for my new PC, a Sonata and a 3700BQE.

Okay, I've read the reviews and the recommended cases sections, and the BQE seems to win, but...

The Sonata's second hand, with AcoustiPack, going for 65GBP, while the BQE's going for £55 (+delivery) on its own. The downside for me about the Sonata is that in order to save money I'll be picking it up myself and walking through London and travelling home on a full commuter train with it!

Would you take the Sonata or the BQE?

Which has the quieter PSU?

Ta for any help,

Tom.
The Sonata is the better deal because of the power supply and the acoustipack thats included in the price. The Truepower 380W psu is also superior to the SL-350 in the BQE because it has independant rails whereas the BQE PSU doesn't (see Antec website for details of this). PSU noisewise, they're about the same. Factor in the cost of the Acoustipack and there's no contest.
Last edited by davidstone28 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xlyz

Post by xlyz » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:43 pm

Jordan wrote:Get a Zalman Northbridge heatsink for the Mobo too ;)
yeah, I'll do 8)

tomknight

Sonata purchased

Post by tomknight » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:18 am

Okay guys and gals, I have the Sonata in my living room, all shiny and lovely. Ta for all your recommendations (and the general discussion).

Picked up from near St. James' Park, tried to walk to Waterloo Station (bear with my non-London people) via Westminster, and what do I find. A bloody load of pro-hunt demonstrators at that moment clashing with the riot police. That really pissed me off as I was made to walk through Whitehall and over Hungerford bridge. It's a heavy box, all in all, and resting it on my belt tore the leater (belt leather, it's not some kinky case mod) and so now I need a new belt. Should have paid for p&p instead. Still, saw some very horsey demonstrators patting the police horses outside Downing Street, which I liked ;-)

Yes, the case.

Runs fairly quietly, but that PSU keeps getting noisy. I guess I'll have to rig the fan up differently. I've put the Acoutipack over one "Antec" set of holes (the one that's hard to get to once everything's in place), but not glued it there. It seems that the common consensus is to _not_ cover these holes so I'll probably remove it. I'd thought of ducting the PSU to get air from both sets of "Antec" holes, but think this might not be enough.

I'll post some thoughs in a separate thread once I've collated info fro the rest of the board.

Thanks again,

Tom.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:53 am

The PSU takes most of it's air in from the letter (or 2) closest to the rear of the side panel i.e the"e" and "c" on one side and the "a" and "n" on the other. try removing the foam covering these letters first. You can see the little side inlets on the PSU when you take the case side off.

Other things you will read about is how restrictive the front intake of the Sonata is and how to imporve it with a drill/dremel :)