SilverStone Temjin 6, seems like a neat new idea

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

SilverStone Temjin 6, seems like a neat new idea

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:58 am

SilverStone Temjin 6
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/sh ... i=2219&p=1

Wind tunnels seems like a neat idea.
130 bucks isnt too bad either.

Any comments on this case design?BTX good?

~RaNDoM[

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:31 am

Does seem like a pretty decent design and the wind tunnel is a fairly unique feature.

Weight balance is one thing that appears like it could be an issue, with all the denser, heavier devices mounted higher up than in the other faux-BTX cases, Lian-Li's PC-V(fake G5s), but compared to standard ATX cases, isn't significantly worse in that regard, anyway...

Whether or not you feel that the PSU alone is good enough to pull cool air into the drive/video card portion of the case and then exhaust all the heated air from the video card plus drives, again, by itself, is another matter (with the help of that mere 80mm fan up front?). I believe they could've done a better job in this respect, but it is likely that an Arctic Cooling graphics Silencer would be help enough in this situation; that, or running a cooler graphics card (whatever boats your float).

In other words, there was clearly much more emphasis on dealing with CPU heat than other sources of heat, which would make sense in many people's cases, but in many other modern computers, the graphics card needs to be an equally large concern, being that not only can they produce equally large amounts of heat, but they tend to have inferior cooling devices with loud, high-pitched little fans. The two alternatives would be either an NV/ATI Silencer, or a Zalman ZM-80x-HP; the Silencer would be good, but there have been occasional reports of the fan on it being noisy. If you go with the fully passive choice, that PSU has that much more heat extracting work to do, and will likely ramp up more from the the GPU/VPU's heat.

Really, how difficult would it have been for them to leave an opening in the back of the hard drive cage for another fan?!? At least give us the option to improve our cooling!

It is common for SPCR members to duct their PSU so that it has its own cooler air source and thus does not ramp; you're going to have to open up your own hole in the back of this case if you plan to duct your PSU, because you've got to find yourself a separate opening to vent the heat from the other components other than the CPU, primarily the hard drives and the graphics card.

Looks well damped, at least!

-Ed

rocarpen

Post by rocarpen » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:50 am

Heh, that's pretty funny. I was going to post a new thread on this very case just last night.

Pretty cool, eh? The 'wind tunnel' even has an adaptor of sorts for dual-processor systems. Combine this rig with those new ultra-effective passive heat-pipe Xeon heat-sinks, and you've got a really silent, cool setup.

Edward, I've read that the NV Arctic Silencer series can't be used in setups like this because it puts the Silencer on top of the card, which apparently conflicts with the functionality. That, for me, is a deal-breaker. And as you say, the PSU-as-rear-exhaust is also sort of a weird setup.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:07 am

I see no reason for an NV/ATI Silencer to not work in this arrangement; gravity does not have any effect on the functionality of it. Who the heck said that an NV/ATI silencer can't work if it sits on top of the card, rather than hanging down from it? There's no heatpipes in its design. Everything is directly attached to the card, so no mountings rely on gravity. The weight of the cooler, as a matter of fact, works in favor of the cooler, if it sits on top, rather than hanging down, from the card. The blower's intake does not rely on convection currents to get air; no matter what (short of sealing or taping off the intake!!!), the blower on the card will be able to pull air in and effectly push it out the back.

The motherboard, video card, cooler and CPU as well as its cooler are all in the exact same configuration as they are in any other standard ATX layout, only flipped over 180. Where did you read that it won't work on a flipped-over standard ATX arrangement with standard AGP?

I'm not contradicting you or saying you're specifically wrong, but I want to know who told you this and just what their reasoning is.

-Ed

rocarpen

Post by rocarpen » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:22 am

Yeah, I myself actually wondered about all those same points. I can't imagine why it would be a problem. Unfortunately, I couldn't possibly recall where I read the statement. Probably on a forum somewhere, stumbled across while researching the new 6800-compatible models. But I recall that the claim was made with some certainty.

An email to Arctic Cooling would answer things, but I've tried getting in touch with their people before, and weeks later have yet to get a response. Pretty lame customer service, there.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:28 pm

I think it's the Zalman heatpipe-based VGA coolers that don't work upside-down. I have an Arctic Cooling silencer in my Lian-Li PC-V1000, works just fine.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:19 pm

Another nice thing about this case : looks like there is ample space for suspending hard drives.

The CPU tunnel looks like a good fit for a passive / tall CPU cooler, like rocarpen pointed out. You can probably lose the 120mm fan in front for a significant fan noise reduction without much loss in airflow. Some foam around the HSF to force more air through the heat sink will improve cooling.

An ACVS looks like a must-have for this case. Thinking about an extra 60W or more of heat fed into the PSU makes my head hurts.

Looks like Axion has the case in stock, $150 shipped out to California. A bit too high for me, since I don't actually need a new machine...

Hope SPCR will get one to review. It doesn't look too heavy so I guess Rusty won't be the one reviewing it :-)

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:50 am

Excellent design for cooling. Definitely requires a 120mm PSU though. However, I wonder how much the CPU wind tunnel, will amplify the sound of anything within it?? ...like a didgeridoo! Fan and CPU noise, amplified straight out the front grille - not so good.

maxavier

Post by maxavier » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:15 am

Excellent design for cooling. Definitely requires a 120mm PSU though. However, I wonder how much the CPU wind tunnel, will amplify the sound of anything within it?? ...like a didgeridoo! Fan and CPU noise, amplified straight out the front grille - not so good.
Dude, I know this is a silent PC forum, but that would kick ass to computer play a didgeridoo as long as it had an on/off switch.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:06 am

maxavier wrote:Dude, I know this is a silent PC forum, but that would kick ass to computer play a didgeridoo as long as it had an on/off switch.
Have you ever Rolf Harris? I wish he had an on/off switch. :roll: