AcoustiPack vs Nexus DampTek

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Noizz

AcoustiPack vs Nexus DampTek

Post by Noizz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:08 pm

which one would be better??? i haven't come across any reviews that compares the two of them together.

would normal egg crate foam from a hardware store do the same?

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:22 pm

AcoustiPack is generally regarded as the best sound & vibration dampening material available, by a significant degree, though it is expensive. I can't really comment on how effective/useless/smelly the damptek is.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:54 pm

From what I read the damptek is rubber backing (for sound barrier) + melamine foam on top and is much better than most of the crap out there.

Melamine does not smell or burn and is a good sound absorbant. I knew it to absorb lower frequencies better but the guy who sold me my melamine (not damptek, just free standing acoustic foam) said it was best at absorbing high-frequency noise. I'm still assembling so I can't comment either way yet.

I'd also be interested in a comparison. How about it Mike?

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:18 pm

Yea mike try to get a sample from nexus! i don't really feel like spending so much money on acoustipak whens its not really compared to anything else...

and im probably gonna go with wat burcakb said thx :D

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:59 am

If a test were to be conducted, I would hope that BlackHole 5 would be included. It is a mature product used inside loudspeaker enclosures to dampen back waves and vibration.

It works pretty good in my Sonata, also.

-- Tom

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:36 am

I am in the middle of reviewing the AcoustiPack for the BQE while also installing an EXOS Aluminum for the 6800 Ultra OC that I have. It is a VERY nice pack, and dampens noise very well. It gives the computer a solid feeling. More information later on.