Sonata headphone jack is reversed stereo?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

wrong

Sonata headphone jack is reversed stereo?

Post by wrong » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:15 am

I have a Sonata with the front panel hooked up to my Asus K8V SE's onboard sound via the 10-pin front panel audio connector. It turns out that with my configuration, the left headphone is connected to the right channel and vice versa. Annoying, especially as there's no reverse switch in the sound driver.
I asked a friend about his and he has the same problem. Has this happened to you? (And what have you done about it?)

jasoneuc

Post by jasoneuc » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:36 am

Yep - same thing here. I "swapped" the left and right channels using a pair of converter cables from Radio shack. The cables have the stereo jack on one end and RCA connectors on the other. One cable has the male stereo jack, the other has the female stereo jack. Since the two cables that I had laying around were both male RCA's, it also required a pair of RCA gender changers (double-ended female RCA's). To get the channels to switch, just swap the RCA connectors around.

Annoying. Love the Sonata (after several mods), but Antec's wiring folks really screwed up. First the front panel Firewire ports were wrong, and not a single connector but a bunch of individual ones, then the stereo jack was backwards. Oh well.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:52 am

Yeah, i have the same problem. I tought antec is quality stuff, but now i'm starting to think the opposite.

wim

Post by wim » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:22 am

same thing on my headphone jack (not antec)
i fixed it with the soldering iron, easy job just slice cable and swap

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:40 am

My Sonata came with an front panel audio cable that looked like this:
You can use the 1-pin connectors to connect it how you like.

IMHO the left and right audio channel being switched is a defect. So try asking Antec (or the importer) for a cable as in the picture.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:46 am

Judging from the picture Tibors posted, one can easily change the pin order in the cable's connector by using a small flathead screwdriver. Just take the motherboard's manual and locate which two pins are the left and right audio channels. Then just lift the relative plastic tabs on the cable's connector a bit, pull out the leads, and reverse them.

Cheers,

Jan

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:54 am

Same here. In fact if you use the connector pictured without using the single pin plugs, it's still backwards. Use the single pin plugs and you're good to go.

I've found that this is typical of a lot of motherboards. There's apparently no universal standard for motherboard I/O headers. Some I've found to work properly, some don't. Same with USB as the sound header.

Putz

Post by Putz » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:02 pm

jasoneuc wrote:the front panel Firewire ports were wrong
In what way exactly is the front Firewire port wrong? I'd like mine to work, but I haven't yet gotten around to the trial-and-error process of figuring out what exactly is wrong with it.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:07 am

According to the FAQ at Antec, they switched two wires in the firewire connector. Newer Sonata's don't have this problem anymore.

P.S. With my Sennheiser HD 520, you can just reverse the headphone on your head. :)