Cutting a hole in a case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ONEshot

Cutting a hole in a case

Post by ONEshot » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:11 am

Okay, if I wanna punch a hole in the side of my case to fit in a duct right over the CPU, what's the best way to do that? (If you need specifics: Its an SLK 3700...)

Also, I'm making a PSU duct with the hole at the top (SEE ARM's PSU duct), any thoughts/ideas on how to do this?

Thanks.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:15 am

Measure well, drill a hole close to the center, and cut the hole in a spiral outwards with a good pair of tin snips.

See this thread for good tips.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:56 am

So tin snips, not dremel/hole saw?

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:30 pm

Dremel works, but it's really, really, REALLY slow for holes of some size. Hole saw should be the best -- if you have one of exactly the size you want -- but hole saws for metal are pretty expensive, and you need a fairly high-powered machine tool for it. If you already have the tool and the hole saw, go for it, but a good pair of tin snips do the job just as well.

Zyrin

here's a way make a hole

Post by Zyrin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:18 am

if u can fasten the side panel to a piece of wood and use a regular drill with a hole saw.. it will go through metal.. though i dun use this method.

What i do is i use a marker to draw an outline of the hole i wanna make. then i use a drill to drill holes, very close to each other, following the outline of the pattern. Then u can either snip between the holes, use a coping saw, hacksaw, or dremel to cut it out (basically, like connect the dots). its best to use a bit that creates its own pilot hole so holes are precise.. or even better, use a drill press machine. Afterwards use a metal file to sand down the rough jaggy edges. Then use finer grades of sandpaper to get it very smooth and round out the metal so it wont cut u. You can get the holes to look as good as if the case was manufactured that way. I think a thick flange would also help reduce noise. =) and I've seen too many bad cutouts and hole-ing on this forum. My holes follow the outline of the fan cavity, but I wonder if round holes would decrease noise even if it doesn't allow for as much passage of air.. I will know once i get some silicone to seal the fan/isolate the fan from the case. oh, wear proper protection.. maybe even a breathing mask.

Zyrin

Post by Zyrin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:38 am

If u make a hole larger then the fan but leave enuff material to mount the fan, would that make it more silent? esp with washered mounts. anyone wanna weigh their opinions or experiences? also. anyone know the most aerodyname cutout? wind turbulence at zero level?

Zyrin

Post by Zyrin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:39 am

how much difference does spaces, between the fan and case, make?

Zyrin

Post by Zyrin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:44 am

instead of using regular fan screws that cut threads into the fan.. what about using a screw and nut and rubber washers to isolate the fan from the bolt, nut, and case. and are those rubber mounts, where u squeeze it through the case then through teh fan to hold the fan against the case very good.. does anyone see any problems with that?

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:37 am

You know, there is an edit button to add to your original post... anyhow, what you describe for fan mounting is known as "soft mounting" the fan. Search and you'll find lots of different ways of doing this, with ear grommets, silicon thingies, pieces of foam, etc. Usually, the softer, the better.

You should try to seal any space between the fan and the case. I usually use "draft strips": soft rubber strips with an adhesive side, meant to seal cracks between doors and stuff. Comes in different thicknesses, very handy.

The minium size of the fan hole should be slightly larger than the diameter of the fan blades, because if the airflow from these blades hits the case edge on the way in or out this will cause audible turbulence. I usually cut an octogonal shape with 4 large and 4 small sides whenever the hole is not in sight.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:18 pm

Actually, I'm cutting this hole to stick a plastic fan duct in it.

I figure I'm just going to use some silicon adhesive to lock it all together.

jtcb

Post by jtcb » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:29 pm

Is Aluminum easier to cut than metal? I want to cut out the top blowhole and the back fan grill on my Lian-Li PC65. I will be using tin snip. Is it possible?

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:19 am

jtcb wrote:Is Aluminum easier to cut than metal? I want to cut out the top blowhole and the back fan grill on my Lian-Li PC65. I will be using tin snip. Is it possible?
Aluminum is much easier and softer the cut with anything compared to steel. Depening on the alloy however you can get some that are really uh.. prone to burring, so be sure to de-burr afterwards. (Since aluminum is softer you can also deform the hole more easily, to be more carefull when cutting compared to steel.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:58 pm

Well, I did it, and BOY are my forearms tired! Tin snips are damn tiring.

I was about 1mm away from MESSING it all up.

I was cutting the hole in the AMB, and stupid me forgot to find out where that supporting bar was! So when Im refitting the case, I say "oh crap." Only to find out that the duct that I inserted was 1mm away from the bar.

Close call!

PS. To those doing their first tinsnipping: Wear gloves. I've got two angry fingers that are yelling at me through thick callouses.

But boy does it look professional.

Thumbs up.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:47 am

Question :

What is a good method to cover the edges that is low profile (unllike the rubber tubing i see from coolcases.com). I want something that hugs the metal tightly. People use some sort of automotive lining, but i'm not sure what its called. Ideas?

I'm asking because since I tin snipped my fan holes, the edges arent perfect and are ugly.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:26 am

tay wrote:Question :

What is a good method to cover the edges that is low profile (unllike the rubber tubing i see from coolcases.com). I want something that hugs the metal tightly.
Anything wrong with the way this molding looks?. It's real cheap and is available from mnpctech.com and bestbyte.com.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:10 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Anything wrong with the way this molding looks?. It's real cheap and is available from mnpctech.com and bestbyte.com.
bestbyte.net, not bestbyte.com. Got some for myself a couple of weeks back.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:03 pm

Thanks Ralf & lenny. That is exactly what I had in mind (nice cablegami btw lol).

I like bestbyte.net, they have good prices. SVC hasnt shipped one of my orders for 4 days, I am gonna try and cancel and call bestbyte. BTW theyre also at http://www.bestbyteinc.com

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:13 am

lenny wrote: bestbyte.net, not bestbyte.com.
Oops, sorry... :oops:

Too much Eggnog....heheheheh.

Happy Holidays folks!