Anyone tried this for their PSU?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:41 pm

Well I've never owned one of these PSU mufflers made by this company....but I have constructed several similar designs. And they do work to quiet the exhaust, very well in fact.

The problem is the back-pressure. Because of size restraints, the thing is simply too small to avoid heat problems. Their claim of 1% effect on heat is (IMHO) is similar to a ThermalTake claim of a noise rating....just not possible.

Before you buy one, build a copy of cardboard and foam.....see what happens. :P

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:00 am

Bluefront wrote:Well I've never owned one of these PSU mufflers made by this company....but I have constructed several similar designs. And they do work to quiet the exhaust, very well in fact.

The problem is the back-pressure. Because of size restraints, the thing is simply too small to avoid heat problems. Their claim of 1% effect on heat is (IMHO) is similar to a ThermalTake claim of a noise rating....just not possible.

Before you buy one, build a copy of cardboard and foam.....see what happens. :P
Sorry I'm new to this but wondering how is back-pressure created?
If the exhaust fan is blowing air into a muffler with a large enough opening that doesn't obstruct the fan directly, wouldn't the air just be forced straight out the muffler?

I would like to build one on my own but I by no means am any good at diy stuff. Looking at your Lanboy muffler looks a bit extreme for me with that Nissan Xterra filter :D

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:49 am

Back-pressure is the effect on airflow exiting a fan when hitting any obstruction. Take a running fan and move it toward a flat surface. As you get closer noise increases, and airflow is decreased.

This is similar to the effect of an exhaust muffler. The more turns the airflow makes going through the muffler, the quieter it will be, but with more back-pressure. If you can design a more efficient muffler, you could reduce back-pressure effects. The easiest way would be a bigger muffler....but on a computer this becomes a problem.

That Lanboy muffler/intake box works neat.....but it is a fairly large device. Kind-of clunky-looking. :lol:

silverback

Post by silverback » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:47 am

It looks like safety mat material. No way I would pay 30 dollars for pre cut safety mat. You could make about 40 of those boxes for the same cost.

I wonder if you could reduce the back pressure a little by creating a little bit of a curved surface. Have it curve down, travel to the base of the case then curve back up and out again.