New Antec cases being shown at CES on pcmag.com

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:25 am

End of Feb was cited as an ETA, but I think as usual, we'll see it when we see it on Antec site. They never display product info on their site till it's in the channels...

Lamp

Post by Lamp » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:11 pm

Does Thermaltake PurePower 680w fit in Antec P180? Thermaltake seems to be quite deep. Normal PSU is 150mm(L)x140mm(W)x86mm(H) and Thermaltake is 150mm(L)x165mm(W)x86mm(H). That picture explains why I'm quite worry, if I buy that case: http://www.thetechlounge.com/image.php? ... ges/79.jpg There is quite small space to big PSU.

If that Thermaltake doesn't fit, maybe I have to think some another PSU. Somebody who knows, could tell me some real info. Thanks. =)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:18 pm

The Antec 500W Phantom shown in that P180 photo is also an extra deep PSU. But... er.. Are you going to power an electric iron with that 680W PSU? :lol:

Lamp

Post by Lamp » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:26 pm

MikeC wrote:The Antec 500W Phantom shown in that P180 photo is also an extra deep PSU. But... er.. Are you going to power an electric iron with that 680W PSU? :lol:
Something like that. :) Do you have specs how deep is that 500W phantom?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:36 pm

It'll fit -- you can always remove the 120mm fan if it's an issue; with a fanned PSU, chances are, its fans will bve enough to pull the air through the bottom chamber, keeping itslf and the HDDs cool. You might even be able to flip the fan so it mounts on the other side of that center bracket.

Lamp

Post by Lamp » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:46 pm

MikeC wrote:It'll fit -- you can always remove the 120mm fan if it's an issue; with a fanned PSU, chances are, its fans will bve enough to pull the air through the bottom chamber, keeping itslf and the HDDs cool. You might even be able to flip the fan so it mounts on the other side of that center bracket.
Thanks a lot! :)

Maybe I flip fan to other side, if it is possible. It seems to be a huge design error, because PSUs space is so small. :lol:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:51 pm

Lamp wrote:Thanks a lot! :)

Maybe I flip fan to other side, if it is possible. It seems to be a huge design error, because PSUs space is so small. :lol:
Nah, that's an overstatement, any normal ATX PSU will fit. There's something like 9.5" in that half of the chamber, and the normal ATX PSU is 5.5" deep. Add 1" for the cables and 1.5" for the 38mm fan... and you can still fit a 7" deep PSU.

Lamp

Post by Lamp » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:08 pm

MikeC wrote:
Lamp wrote:Thanks a lot! :)

Nah, that's an overstatement, any normal ATX PSU will fit. There's something like 9.5" in that half of the chamber, and the normal ATX PSU is 5.5" deep. Add 1" for the cables and 1.5" for the 38mm fan... and you can still fit a 7" deep PSU.
Hmmm. Maybe youre right, but time will tell! :) Now I have to go away, thanks and have a nice day! :)

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:48 pm

I need the Antec P180, its everything I could of dreamed about!

JvT

Post by JvT » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:55 am

Is it possible to get the inner dimensions of the PSU air channel?? I'm hoping that a watercooling radiator might fit in there...

As everyone else on SPCR, I too am looking forward to see the review of this case :D

j-azn

Post by j-azn » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:41 pm

anybody got a estimate street price for this baby? the p180..it is just simply amazing. its a must get :D but i wud like to see those output jacks having a cover..it wud look more smooth and clean with a glancce

Mats

Post by Mats » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:49 pm

MikeC wrote:The Antec 500W Phantom shown in that P180 photo is also an extra deep PSU.
How deep is the 350 W?

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:30 pm

Is the bottom hdd cage wide enough for 5,25" devices?

Mumrik

Post by Mumrik » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:58 pm

how could it be, when it's made for 3,5" drives?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:38 pm

Front view of a cage that could fit both 5.25" devices and 3.5" devices.

Code: Select all

<-- 5.25" -->
+-----------+ ^
|           | |
|           | 3.5"
|           | |
+-----------+ v
5.25" devices would be mounted in their normal horizontal position.
3.5" devices would be mounted standing on their sides.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:45 am

ddrueding1 wrote:
Rusty075 wrote:I actually feel sorry for whichever one of us gets to review this thing...just think of all the fan configurations they're going to have to test to make the readers happy.
With this in mind, I'd like to throw out my ideal configuration (for consideration while testing).

For Sure:
Single Samsung suspended with Zalman heatpipe cooler in middle of duct
Nexus PSU
NCU-2000 CPU cooler aligned for vertical airflow
Nexus 120mm exhaust fan mounted to top vent
90nm A64 3200+
nForce4 Board
Gigabyte nVidia 6800 Fanless

Likely:
Acoustipack the inside of the HDD/PSU duct
mCubed T-Balancer

Maybe:
Additional 120mm Nexus suspended/ducted for 6800

Thoughts?
yeah instead of the 6800 fanless with a suspended fan, just go with the galaxy 6800gt (has an artic colling fan with direct heat exhaust out of the system)

that way for prolly near enough the same money you get more performance and probably relatively quiet cooling.

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:57 am

Mumrik wrote:how could it be, when it's made for 3,5" drives?
Take a look at the pictures.

Space for the cage surely is wider than 3,5 inches.

And in the news post it says "Four HDD cage in the bottom ducted chamber in silicone rubber suspension mounts". Now, if one can leave the silicone rubber suspensions out you could think that you might be able to fit 5,25" drives/mufflers there. Unless the silicone suspension is only for the cage and not for drives installed in it.

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:14 pm

Actually this photo says it all:

http://www.thetechlounge.com/image.php? ... ges/78.jpg

At first I didnt realize it was the bottom cage since it was so tall. But it was just sitting on its side.

So, you might be able to fit a 5,25" drive there, but it doesnt seem to be designed for that use since there are no holes for screws. However, that wont be too tough of a task for even a novice modder.

Is the Antep Rep still here? Can you say something about this idea? Have you by any chance changed the design of the bottom hdd cage so that one could mount 5,25" devices there? I think there is a real need for it since there are so many mufflers/coolers for hdds that are 5,25" wide.

You could always put a 5,25" muffler sit on top those silicone grommets. It wouldnt however be a very secure mounting without some modding and installing multiple 5.25" devices would be difficult.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:43 pm

Bruce Ballslap -- I think your questions are premature. The case exists only as a couple of early test production samples right now. Wait for the market release and a full review.

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:46 pm

MikeC wrote:Bruce Ballslap -- I think your questions are premature. The case exists only as a couple of early test production samples right now. Wait for the market release and a full review.
Dont you think it's good time to express ideas now, when it's still in pre-production phase? We have an Antec representative watching these forums. You never know if an idea born here could find it's way into the final product.

We all know very well this is still the pre-production sample. But why hold back conversation? That can't do any harm?

In any case, can anybody confirm if the bottom hdd cage in the PRE-PRODUCTION YET TO BE CHANGED SAMPLE case is wide enough for a 5,25" drive? It's still an indication if nothing else.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:29 pm

Yes it's wide enough to hold a 5.25" device. AFAIK we're not changing the tooling.

AntecRep

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:40 pm

AntecRep wrote:Yes it's wide enough to hold a 5.25" device. AFAIK we're not changing the tooling.

AntecRep
Hey that's great news! Thank you for the information and for contributing to this forum.

I'm thinking of putting HDD with Zalman heatpipe cooler ( http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/vie ... 9&code=019 ) in an elastic rubberband rest ( http://silentpcreview.com/article8-page1.html ). Should be quite cool and quiet.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:50 pm

Bruce Ballslap wrote:I'm thinking of putting HDD with Zalman heatpipe cooler ( http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/vie ... 9&code=019 ) in an elastic rubberband rest ( http://silentpcreview.com/article8-page1.html ). Should be quite cool and quiet.
hmmmm... If all you want is for the HDD to be cooled well, either the 120mm fan in the lower chamber or the fan in a quiet PSU will do this perfectly well. I thought maybe you were wanting to silence a noisy fast HDD better... like the WD Raptor in a SmartDrive or this new rubber box product... http://www.scythe.co.jp/en/cooler/silentbox.htm

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:24 pm

MikeC wrote:I thought maybe you were wanting to silence a noisy fast HDD better... like the WD Raptor in a SmartDrive or this new rubber box product... http://www.scythe.co.jp/en/cooler/silentbox.htm
Products with enclosure design are not yet out of the question for me. I'm still thinking of all the different options out there.

I'm just so concerned about the tempereratures my hdd has to deal with (holding all the precious and priceless data in it). I might be "hyperconcerned".. the hdds nevertheless are right in front of a lower intake.. We'll have to wait and see. Nice to have so many options though.

Insolence

Post by Insolence » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:07 am

I don't see the point in HDD suspending... I can almost NEVER hear my Samsung 160g drives. Seems like a hassle imo.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:10 am

Insolence wrote:I don't see the point in HDD suspending... I can almost NEVER hear my Samsung 160g drives. Seems like a hassle imo.
Then you've never had a Samsung drive rattle your whole case. Or if you do, you simply don't notice it. It's happened to me on a BQE and has happened on at least one other case.

Bruce Ballslap

Post by Bruce Ballslap » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:48 am

I have a Nidec motored Samsung 160GB and I definitely can hear the drive during seek. I have even suspended it moderately ( http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/COO ... ENCER.HTML ) The case itself has been dampened as well.

I guess it comes down to how silent the rest of your system is. Insolence, maybe noise coming from other parts in your system cover the Samsung's noise?

Badashmods

Post by Badashmods » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 pm

Hopefully Antec makes the P180 front case door removeable and the front behind the case door look a lot nicer than in the pre production samples. I hate case doors, but if it looks nice without the case door I will probably get one.

Tobi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Tobi-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:39 pm

hugekebab wrote:
ddrueding1 wrote:
Rusty075 wrote:I actually feel sorry for whichever one of us gets to review this thing...just think of all the fan configurations they're going to have to test to make the readers happy.
With this in mind, I'd like to throw out my ideal configuration (for consideration while testing).

For Sure:
Single Samsung suspended with Zalman heatpipe cooler in middle of duct
Nexus PSU
NCU-2000 CPU cooler aligned for vertical airflow
Nexus 120mm exhaust fan mounted to top vent
90nm A64 3200+
nForce4 Board
Gigabyte nVidia 6800 Fanless

Likely:
Acoustipack the inside of the HDD/PSU duct
mCubed T-Balancer

Maybe:
Additional 120mm Nexus suspended/ducted for 6800

Thoughts?
yeah instead of the 6800 fanless with a suspended fan, just go with the galaxy 6800gt (has an artic colling fan with direct heat exhaust out of the system)

that way for prolly near enough the same money you get more performance and probably relatively quiet cooling.
It's a bit of topic but I wouldn't recommend you to buy the Galaxy GT. I bought 3 seperate cards, one was DOA and a second card gave up after a month or so. 50% of the Galaxy cards I bought failed on me (I got a replacement for the first card). Bad odds if you ask me. I decided to replace the second dead card with the Gigabyte fanlesss 6800 and II'm very pleased with this card.

Sorry for OT but i just couldn't ignore that statement.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the fan on Galaxy GT was loud too. By far the noisiest component in two of the three computers I used it in.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:55 am

Badashmods wrote:Hopefully Antec makes the P180 front case door removeable and the front behind the case door look a lot nicer than in the pre production samples. I hate case doors, but if it looks nice without the case door I will probably get one.
The door on the P180 is for more than just cosmetics; it is made using the same sturdy, damped composite structure as the other panels, and like the panels on the Aria, does a major job in dampening sound. Without the front door, you'll lose a lot of the case's noise dampening effect in the most important direction--out the front of the case.

But hey--I suppose having a door is more annoying than the noise it blocks, especially considering this door has a 270-degree hinge that allows it to completely swing and stay out of the way for those days when you need to swap discs a lot. Heaven forbid it actually look ugly in the process...

*shrug*

There really is no pleasing everybody.

-Ed