New Antec cases being shown at CES on pcmag.com

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:20 am

kloppe wrote:
sialivi wrote:blunden: well, at least 1 p180 has come to sweden.. antec used it as a price in a competition at dreamhack ;)
Yeah, but it had been defiled. :(
Yikes!

Well, so has the poster. apparently :wink:

It really hurts to see that done to the case...

blunden

Post by blunden » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:30 am

kloppe wrote:
sialivi wrote:blunden: well, at least 1 p180 has come to sweden.. antec used it as a price in a competition at dreamhack ;)
Yeah, but it had been defiled. :(
I didn't think that looked good at all. These don't look good modded, I think. :(

Why are Antec so slow to distribute this case in particular?

wim

Post by wim » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:28 am

ack! that's a crime..

wim

Post by wim » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:28 pm

heigh it is about 20.5"
now that some ppl have the case, can someone give me a precise measurement of the height of the case, with and without spoiler? because the place in my desk is also "about" 20.5" high

523 mm to be exact. will it fit? i really like my desk.. :?

runcible

Post by runcible » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:26 am

Will fit mate. Just. Barely. It's about 514mm. But not with the exhaust spoiler thingy I'm afraid. That ain't goona fit. Had same problem with my desk, thankfully I could remove this stupid CD holder tray thing so it fits.

Great case though, well worth it. They arrived in Melbourne yesterday as far as I know, managed to pick one up today. It was like Christmas all over again! :D

wim

Post by wim » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:52 am

thanks runcible
and welcome to spcr

hm now i've realised depth is going to be a problem too. the front will stick out about 10mm and the back exhausts will be pressed right up against a wall..#@$&*..i don't like that! (this case is huge!)

sialivi

Post by sialivi » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:43 pm

Does anyone know if the cables from a ocz modstream powersupply are long enough for this case by a good marginal (so they can be routed around the motherboard, instead of right across it)? They look so short in the pics I've seen.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:04 pm

sialivi wrote:Does anyone know if the cables from a ocz modstream powersupply are long enough for this case by a good marginal (so they can be routed around the motherboard, instead of right across it)? They look so short in the pics I've seen.
From the SPCR review of the Modstream:
15" sleeved cable for main 20/24-pin ATX connector(more on this in a moment)
18" auxiliary 12V connector for processors that require it
Exactly how long you will need depends on your motherboard, but these aren't especially long cables.

runcible

Post by runcible » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:53 pm

wim wrote:thanks runcible
and welcome to spcr

hm now i've realised depth is going to be a problem too. the front will stick out about 10mm and the back exhausts will be pressed right up against a wall..#@$&*..i don't like that! (this case is huge!)
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah it is big but damn it looks sweet. Needs to be big though, it's all about the PSU compartment at the bottom. That's what makes this case big, and why I also think they'll never make a smaller version of it. The motherboard area is a tight fit as it is. If it's any consolation, mine is hanging out the front of my desk by about 20mm, mainly to let plenty ventilation in through the bottom. If it's too close to the wall.... then just move your desk out! Sacrifices must be made for this thing! Trust me it's worth it.... My Venice core 3200+ is running at 29C at idle. Got DVD Shrink running right now, been at it for about 45min, CPU's at 33C. Pretty cool if you ask me!

milleron

Post by milleron » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:32 am

thetoad30 wrote:Just FYI:

I've been watching BLT for over a month now, and everytime a due date comes, it goes by with nothing.

I've also seen them remove the deliveries to one of their workshops. So, I guess what I'm saying is don't just think they will have it tomorrow. Their dates have changed way too many times just to be sure.
I got mine from shopBLT.com on June 17, immediately after their Website showed receipt of 65 of them. I think BLT is one of the more honest sites on the Internet, hence their rating of over 9.5 on ResellerRatings.

milleron

The VGA air duct

Post by milleron » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:54 am

The manual should be much clearer about the "VGA Ventilation Duct." The poorly-done manual (what a piece of crap for a $150 item) says nothing about installing the fan. This duct, of course, is made from two halves that can be taken apart. There is and 80x80 indentation in the side of the duct facing the PCI cards, and it looks exactly like it's supposed to contain the fan. Intuition would certainly tell you that you put your fan in there and then insert the screws from the inside of the duct. When I did that, there was not enough clearance between the protruding fan and the heat pipes atop my passively cooled Giga-byte Radeon X800XL. It then dawned on me that there's room to mount the fan totally inside the duct. I placed it there, inserting the screws from the outside of the duct. That left the Antec TriCool's control switch on the inside of the duct where it can't easily be adjusted, but that's OK -- I set it to Low and forgot about it. The fan's noiseless on this setting but produces a very good air flow. In this configuration, there's room for the duct even with cards that have heatsinks or heatpipes protruding above their top surface. (I used a Vantec noise-dampening kit to mount the fan.)

sialivi

Post by sialivi » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:35 am

P180 is now listed on antecs european website as well. Anyone seen it listed on any swedish webstores yet?

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:26 pm

Is anyone actually waiting on the SPCR Special Edition case or is everyone just buying the regular one?

samxuau

Post by samxuau » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:26 am

slimeballzz wrote:Is anyone actually waiting on the SPCR Special Edition case or is everyone just buying the regular one?
I am waiting for the Special Edition...... but will it come out??? umm.... :?

Freelancer77

Re: The VGA air duct

Post by Freelancer77 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:26 pm

milleron wrote:The manual should be much clearer about the "VGA Ventilation Duct." The poorly-done manual (what a piece of crap for a $150 item) says nothing about installing the fan. This duct, of course, is made from two halves that can be taken apart. There is and 80x80 indentation in the side of the duct facing the PCI cards, and it looks exactly like it's supposed to contain the fan. Intuition would certainly tell you that you put your fan in there and then insert the screws from the inside of the duct. When I did that, there was not enough clearance between the protruding fan and the heat pipes atop my passively cooled Giga-byte Radeon X800XL. It then dawned on me that there's room to mount the fan totally inside the duct. I placed it there, inserting the screws from the outside of the duct. That left the Antec TriCool's control switch on the inside of the duct where it can't easily be adjusted, but that's OK -- I set it to Low and forgot about it. The fan's noiseless on this setting but produces a very good air flow. In this configuration, there's room for the duct even with cards that have heatsinks or heatpipes protruding above their top surface. (I used a Vantec noise-dampening kit to mount the fan.)
You're correct that the manual is pretty weak. What were they thinking to do the extra design and build work to make a very tightly constructed case, then practically ignore the documentation? Anyway...

If you can get your hands on an Evercool or Zalman 80x80x15 fan, it will mount properly on the duct and only add about 2mm outside of the housing. Mounting a fan completely inside the duct housing only gives it a slim area to pull air in across the fan blades. Shouldn't exactly destroy the air flow, supposing you aren't trying to run the fan at 5000rpm, but might weaken it some.

To answer sanxuau, I never really considered the SPCR version of the case. All black isn't as sharp looking to me.

samxuau

Disappointed P180......

Post by samxuau » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:56 am

Just got my P180 today, I spent 5 hours to install everything, but the result is not what i expected.
I expected P180 to block more noise than my old case, which it suppose to do with the "Three-layer sound-deadening panels", but it didnt!
I was supprised the system noise did not reduce at all. The main noise is coming from my Geforce 6600GT video card fan and CoolerMaster Hyper48 CPU heatsink, which is another disappointing product, Hyper48 is not as quite as what the company said supposed to be...
Am trying to build the quitest system possible since its in my room, guess now i'll have to look for a fanless video card heatsink and a CPU heatsink again...

The best thing about P180 are:
* Very solid
* Very Good system air flow
* CPU temp droped 3-5 degrees

Recommand buying P180 for a good system air flow but not for noise reduction.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:29 pm

The P180 mostly stops vibrational noise. There should be a minor decrease in noise, but for ANY system, with or without acoustic dampening material, to take care of fan noise you need to undervolt or replace fans with quieter ones.

Basically, the case will take care of most of the vibrational hum from fans and harddrives and keep temp controlled fans from ramping up due to its' superior cooling.

sialivi

Post by sialivi » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:18 pm

For the swedish visitors:

I noticed recently that the Antec P180 is now listed on pricerunner.com and points to a swedish webshop, datorhandel.com , as being available for preordering for 1505 SEK .. For a week they had it listed as arriving on the 20th of July, but now there's no date listed anymore. It's still possible to place an order for it though.

Any other sightings in Sweden?

Yggdrasill

Post by Yggdrasill » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:03 pm

Not in Sweden, but I suspect P180s will arrive roughly at the same time in Norway and Sweden, I use Hardware.no to find offers and information, I think some even ship to Sweden. Most have no arrival date, but one has the arrival date set to the 15th and one has the arrival date set to the 22nd, but I suspect they're both completely wrong...

Oh well, all we can do is wait. :?

kss

Post by kss » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:24 am

Hi. In sweden dustinhome now have it for immediate delivery.
http://www.dustinhome.se/dacsaportal/?ProdID=5010084505

Yggdrasill

Post by Yggdrasill » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:35 am

Wohoo, just ordered my P180, it's available in Norway at a number of stores through the link in my last post.

sialivi

Post by sialivi » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:47 am

And I just received mine, here in Sweden :)

thesnake

Post by thesnake » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:25 am

Just bought mine and finished installing it.
It's just plain unbelievable. It's just... silent.
For info, I got a 3200+ A64 with a Raptor 74GB and a Leadtek 6800.
I'm coming from a LOUD LOUD LOUD SilverStone TJ01 (most shitty thing that I ve ever crossed) and I m just speechless.
The mounting was clearly not as bothersome as I ve read on some websites, even though this happened to be the first mounting ever for me.
I ran into a little trouble with the rail system but I guess it s just me...
Wow again....

MarvW

Re: Disappointed P180......

Post by MarvW » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:53 am

samxuau wrote:Just got my P180 today, I spent 5 hours to install everything, but the result is not what i expected.
I expected P180 to block more noise than my old case, which it suppose to do with the "Three-layer sound-deadening panels", but it didnt!
I was supprised the system noise did not reduce at all. The main noise is coming from my Geforce 6600GT video card fan and CoolerMaster Hyper48 CPU heatsink, which is another disappointing product, Hyper48 is not as quite as what the company said supposed to be...
Am trying to build the quitest system possible since its in my room, guess now i'll have to look for a fanless video card heatsink and a CPU heatsink again...

The best thing about P180 are:
* Very solid
* Very Good system air flow
* CPU temp droped 3-5 degrees

Recommand buying P180 for a good system air flow but not for noise reduction.

I had the same deal with my P180 and Hyper48 my solution was to replace the fan on the 48 with a Thermaltake 90mm silent cat, :D kicked my upper fans down to med (very little cooling differance between high and med ), and what adifferance, lower fan's on low The GT6600 is noticeable but livable. :)