Looking for advicerecommendations for my new antec slk3000b

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:08 am

frankgehry wrote:Sizzle,

Where did you order your papst fans from? I ordered a couple from www.pcsilent.com, in fact the same models you ordered. www.ichbinleise.com will also make US sales. They have some yate loon models, but I'm really looking forward to getting the papst fans.

TIA - FG
Same place as you. I have ordered from there before. The wait is the worst cuz the take the slow boat over, but they are fine products.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:36 pm

pitch wrote:Just to let everyone know, i didnt get a manual with the case so emailed Antec and there posting one to me as its not on the website for download either.
Are they sending you a hardcopy manual or e-mailing you an electronic copy? I'd be interested in obtaining an electronic copy, since I am also a first-time system builder ...

MagnusT

Re: Personal experiences

Post by MagnusT » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:08 am

Mholonious Tenk wrote:I just bought slk3000b.

Some thougts:

1. Using antec's rubber mounting, my two 7200rpm hdd:s are _A LOT_ noisier
than my old'n ugly ex-case with hdd-bay standing at the bottom of the case.

2. QT-technology 300W 8x8 PSU fan is quieter than the supplied antec-fan
set to lowest speed.

-> I have to isolate the hdd's somehow.

My case temps did drop dramatically, though.

edit:
I removed the drive cage and put my old one back standing freely
on a 3mm piece of rubber -> hdd noise is back to what it was before,
especially seek noice, which made the whole box resonate using
antec-standard hdd-install.

The standard install of the hdd's is nowhere near acceptable in my opinion.

I agree. The HD rubber mounts is one of the SLK3000B weak points. They are just too stiff and with disks with low rpm vibration you (well I did anyway) get into noise trouble. But it's entirely disk-dependent of course.

The intake dust filter is utterly stupidly done with the hole in the bottom of the front sucking dust (easily fixed) and the filter mounted so close to the front plastic with it's small air openings making less then 20% of the filter area used (also easily fixed)

But with automatically controlled fans (T-Balancer) and having these speeds and temps at just about everything but 3D games it's pretty quiet :D

Antec Phantom
Modified Arctic Cooling VGA silencer (papst 60mm) on an oveclocked 98000 Pro
AMD 3200+ Barton

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:45 pm

rtsai wrote:
pitch wrote:Just to let everyone know, i didnt get a manual with the case so emailed Antec and there posting one to me as its not on the website for download either.
Are they sending you a hardcopy manual or e-mailing you an electronic copy? I'd be interested in obtaining an electronic copy, since I am also a first-time system builder ...
FYI, the e-mail I got from Antec says there is no SLK3000B manual; it just refers me to the SLK3700BQE manual. They say it is the "same case".

keiith

Re: Looking for advicerecommendations for my new antec slk30

Post by keiith » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:06 am

pitch wrote:Hi,

Awaiting delivery of an antec slk3000b, after advice on what i can do to get it any quieter than supplied as stock.

Also looking at making sure the airflow is as good as i can, to enable me to run the fans as low as possible.

Any directions, especially concerning cable tidying/routing would be appreachiated.

thanks, mark.............
Hi 2 every1 @ SPCR, I finally decided to register :P

About the airflow I cut a hole at the top of my case.

http://keiith.l2p.net/Pictures/Antec%20SLK3000B.JPG
(I hate how black looks in pictures! looks scratched n stuff, maybe it's my camera?)

I figured as heat rises this top 120mm fan vents out alot of hot air from inside the case. It's also useful if you have your back case fan facing a wall... as I'd prefer venting my air out of the top of the case not the back.

Keith.

EDIT : I'm also looking for ideas with my antec SLK3000B setup :) would anyone know what acoustic dampening material works best and is available in Australia/Sydney?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:26 am

Welcome to SPCR, Keith!

pitch

Post by pitch » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:05 am

rtsai wrote:Are they sending you a hardcopy manual or e-mailing you an electronic copy? I'd be interested in obtaining an electronic copy, since I am also a first-time system builder ...
Hi,
Said it was in the post, will leave it a week then get back in touch with them.

Latest update :
Trying to scrounge money together to replace me old quantam fireball, sooo noisy when its seeking.

Still got the quiet hum when its sitting there just not sure if there is anything else i can do :(

mark...........

pitch

Post by pitch » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:08 am

[quote="keiithAbout the airflow I cut a hole at the top of my case.

http://keiith.l2p.net/Pictures/Antec%20SLK3000B.JPG
(I hate how black looks in pictures! looks scratched n stuff, maybe it's my camera?)

Keith.[/quote]

Nice work Keith, how did you cut the hole ?

cheers, mark...........

keiith

Post by keiith » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:47 pm

pitch wrote:Nice work Keith, how did you cut the hole ?

cheers, mark...........
Thanks Mark,

Cut the hole using a jigsaw, then used a round file to touch it up then used a coarse wet and dry then finally a fine and wet and dry for that nice finish :) Also used a black permanent marker pen to colour in the showing silver metal after cutting/filing the hole for better aesthetics (some peopl use rubber moulding n stuff). Cut out the holes just with a standard drill... this is the hardest part... :S making the holes align, make sure you make little indents in first because metal on metal is very slippery as people will tell you.

Also be careful if you are going to do this mod, cover up the top of the case and the bottom of your jigsaw enough masking tape so that you won't scratch your case. Make your measurements pretty exact using set squares and stuff of course and taking in consideration the lengths of your psu and cd-rom drive :)

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, not too much effort and I reckon it looks great so I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who is furthermore trying to increase case airflow on this already awesome case!

Here's another piccy from a top view of it - http://keiith.l2p.net/Pictures/120mm%20Fan%20Hole.JPG

Keith.

faro

Post by faro » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:23 pm

I just completed my first quiet PC build with the 3000B. I have a few questions.

What are you guys using as filters for the front bottom hole and the side ducts? I have taped up the CPU duct in mine but I found that leaving the lower duct open, lowered the temperature of my passively cooled 6800 videocard (Gigabyte).

I am currently using the old metal outer shell of a CD drive installed in the top 5 1/4 bay as a fresh air duct (I also am wondering what to use here to filter the dust), It is still a rough job as I am using the cardboard from a legal pad to block off that part of the case. Frankly, I was amazed at what a difference it made. The temperature of the air leaving the PS was much lower (measured by my hand). I have to leave the door open when the computer is on so that is a down side. I have be messing with removing the door but I don't want to break it.

I am running the Nexus fan on the XP-120 at 9V. I am afraid to run it slower and have it not start spinning at some point. I am using one of those cheap orange Yate Loons at 8V as the exhaust fan. It is pretty quiet even though the computer is sitting on my desk very close by. Once it goes under the desk, it will be great.

I am contemplating suspending the hard drives and there is an occasional case vibration that I have to press on the side of the case so it goes away.

All in all a great result and a fast computer to boot.