should i get sonata or accousticase?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

hugekebab

should i get sonata or accousticase?

Post by hugekebab » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:13 am

hi

well e buyer have screwed up the sonata order so itold them to cancel. while i was looking for another supplier i noticed this case;

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info%5f1219%2ehtml

personally i think that looks a little better than the sonata. what do you guys think?

quick reply would be appreictaed have to get building this comp asap!!

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:33 am

The acousticase is identical to the compucase lx-6a19 (see here).
You can get the compucase from Xcase without PSU for 30 UK

The compucase is very nice. I'd rather build a system using that then the Sonata. I have the Sonata (check my sig) for my rig and I've built systems using the compucase (see here) and I prefer the compucase.
The sonata and acousticase are just way overpriced for what you get.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:02 am

I'd definitely go with the Acousticase over the Sonata. It's got better airflow, and is easier to work in.

lte1000

Acousticase is excellent - also a better supplier

Post by lte1000 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:21 am

hugekebab:

You can get the Acousticase for £20 less here:

http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/inv ... ist=page,1

Also they are in stock at the moment so you can get it soon. I bought one from them last week and I am very pleased with it. The sound proofing kit it comes with is excellent.

Don't forget it does not come with any fans or PSU (2*120mm fan slots available though).

Luke

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:23 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:The acousticase is identical to the compucase lx-6a19 (see here).
You can get the compucase from Xcase without PSU for 30 UK

The compucase is very nice. I'd rather build a system using that then the Sonata. I have the Sonata (check my sig) for my rig and I've built systems using the compucase (see here) and I prefer the compucase.
The sonata and acousticase are just way overpriced for what you get.
wow thanks very much!! good advice. few questions though, does the compucase come with the hd brackets (so ya dont need screws) has it got two 120mm fan positions, is the steel as thick as on the accousticase, and does it have rubber grommets. do you think if i just bought the compuecase and didnt mod it that it would be as quiet as the sonata?

thanks for the help, really appreciate it m8.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:29 am

wow thanks very much!! good advice. few questions though, does the compucase come with the hd brackets (so ya dont need screws) has it got two 120mm fan positions, is the steel as thick as on the accousticase, and does it have rubber grommets. do you think if i just bought the compuecase and didnt mod it that it would be as quiet as the sonata?
- No HDD brackets -- you have to use screws.
- One 120mm position front, one back.
- Steel thickness -- dunno compared to Acousticase.
- Has rubber grommets.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:29 am

any more opinions from others would be greatly appreciated.

basically my choice is accousticase for 77 compucase for 30 or sonata for 90. seems compucase dont have many of the features of the accousticase, so any clarification would be massively appreciated.

one thing ive noticed is dabs say the steel is 1mm thick on accousticase but xcase say compucase is 0.8mm thick which is surely gonna have an effect on sound? also one of my main sources of noise is my harddrives (even though they are nidec samsungs they whine like bitches lol) would the sonata be better at muffling this sound because it has a front panel?

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:30 am

hugekebab wrote:seems compucase dont have many of the features of the accousticase, so any clarification would be massively appreciated.
The Acousticase C6607 is identical to the Compucase 6A19, apart from two extra features on the C6607:

1/ 4 x soft black rubber anti-vibration case feet.

2/ 8 x super-soft black anti-vibration fan mounts.

hugekebab wrote:one thing ive noticed is dabs say the steel is 1mm thick on accousticase but xcase say compucase is 0.8mm thick which is surely gonna have an effect on sound?
Both cases use 0.8mm.
hugekebab wrote:also one of my main sources of noise is my harddrives (even though they are nidec samsungs they whine like bitches lol) would the sonata be better at muffling this sound because it has a front panel?
Front panel?? Just forget about the Sonata, the 6A19 is way better. The Sonata has poor front venting, which can't be rectified with minor modding. You may also want to check out the Antec SLK3000, which has less restrictive fan grilles, where as the rear 6A19 grille needs removing.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:53 am

I agree with everyone's posts so far. The Acousticase is THE SAME CASE as the compucase. The only differences are that the Acousticase has been worked over (acoustipack foam, rubber feet, fan mounts, etc.). These additions can be found elsewhere for much cheaper than the £50 price premium for the acousticase. Now if you don't feel like investing your time into doing these mods yourself, then the acousticase is a good buy (although you'd STILL have to cut out the fan grills yourself).
The steel is very thick by other case standards and very sturdy.
I'd forget about the sonata if I were you. Too much work to get it breathing right. If I'd have to do it over again, I'd build myself a compucase rig (I still might! :D )

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:34 pm

ah fuck it i think ill go for the accousticase even though its more expensive, cant be arsed sourcing everything and answering the door five times in a week at 8 in the morning lol im a student you cant expect me to do tht!

right welll if you guys think its a sound purchase im going accousticase.

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:20 am

The one big advantage, to me, of the 3000B + AcoustiPack BQE kit over the Acousticase is the foam backed door to muffle optical drive noise.

Between that, the reduced cost, the better fan grilles (esp. if you can't be bothered to cut the case) and the case already having sturdy rubber feet, I'm convinced the 3000B is the better option. The C6607 comes with Acoustipack pre-cut, but you still have to fit it yourself. And the fan on the 3000B is pretty quiet in low speed mode, mounted on included rubber thingies.

But I am being picky. The Acousticase is far better tham most cases out there.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:45 am

hmm but i have a problem with the hole they put on the side of the 3000b cus im not going to use that zalman thingy its designed for so its just gonna let noise outta the side of the case isnt it? do you have a link to the case with the precut accoustipack for it?

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:48 am

hi i found the place your on about on kustoms pcs.

does that case have the plastic drives mounts or doyou have to screw drives in?

thanks

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:21 am

You screw metal drive rails to the drive, then it just slides into the case . They are very firm, no vibration problems.

If you don't want noise escaping from the side holes, remove the chassis air guide from the door and put tape or acoustimat over the holes.

The AcoustiPack Pre-cut kit for Antec SLK3700-BQE fits the SLK3000B perfectly, once you remove the chassis air guide. If you want the airflow, you can cut holes in the acoustipack where the air guide and orther holes in that door are - but make sure you make the holes in the right place!

Froogle works for the Acoustipack. There's another recent thread about cheap Acoustipack in the UK.