whats the best case antec slk300ob or AcoustiCase C6607B?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

what case is the best?

antec slk3000b with accoustipack
63%
acousticase c6607b
37%

Total votes: 19

hugekebab

whats the best case antec slk300ob or AcoustiCase C6607B?

Post by hugekebab » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:57 am

im either getting the acousticase or the antec.

i dont think the acousticase is going to dampen optical drives considerably, so for that reason i favour the 3000b with acoustipack HOWEVER the holes on the side of the 3000b are gonna be a pain in the ringpiece cus theyre gonna let tons of sound out no?

im veering towards acousticase, but now cant decide what to do. grrr oif they didnt have the holes on the 3000b i would have got that.

no choice, got to have a poll on this or ill never make my mind up.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:50 am

3000B is definitely the way to go.

1) It's fan grills are much better than the Acousticase grills.

2) It's right side panel is removable. Reportedly, the Acousticase's isn't.

3) 3000B + foam + PSU (of your choice) should be cheaper, or about the same as, the Acousticase.

4) If you're planning on foaming the 3000B anyway, just cover over the side door grills with foam and voila, your possible noise issues disappear.

NeilBlanchard

...what he said

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:05 am

Hello:
Ralf Hutter wrote:3000B is definitely the way to go.

3) 3000B + foam + PSU (of your choice) should be cheaper, or about the same as, the Acousticase.

4) If you're planning on foaming the 3000B anyway, just cover over the side door grills with foam and voila, your possible noise issues disappear.
I agree with all of this. If you are willing to cut out the grills on the Acousticase c6607b, then the biggest advantage it has over the Antec, is the lack of the front door, IMO. The front intake in the plastic bezel is probably a bit better, too.

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:39 am

i think the only thing it really comes down to is do you want a door over your drive bays?

me personally, i dont like the door, so i'd go with the acousticase.

the holes in the side of the antec arnt an issue when you put sound dampening in it.

the front bezel not letting in enough air in the acousticase can easily be modd'd to be plenty good. ive seen alot of ppl cut out the grill completely and put in modders mesh for a really proffesional look.

other than the bezel and the side holes their basically identical internally. so the only real difference is the door.

hightower

Post by hightower » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:01 am

I've had both, I personally like the acousticase alot better.

Mr_Smartepants

Re: ...what he said

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:22 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:
Ralf Hutter wrote:3000B is definitely the way to go.

I agree with all of this. If you are willing to cut out the grills on the Acousticase c6607b, then the biggest advantage it has over the Antec, is the lack of the front door, IMO. The front intake in the plastic bezel is probably a bit better, too.
I agree with NeilB on this wholeheartedly. And I'd have to disagree with Ralf on the rightside panel.
This picture clearly shows the acousticase with a removable rightside panel (just like the compucase). You HAVE to remove both front and rear fan grills. They're terrible.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:37 pm

well thanks for that guys, ive gone for the acoustipack, itll be here tommorow. is there a way i can cut that grill out without a dremel? accousticase looks sweet as, itll look sound with a black fan controller with blue led on it in one of the 5 inch drive bays too. gonna have all black components so dont want to hide em away behind the door of the 3000b.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:55 pm

hugekebab wrote:is there a way i can cut that grill out without a dremel?
I've only cut out fan grills using Tin Snips. Nibblers are another popular tool for doing the same.

A file is nice for getting rid of the jaggies left behind by cutting, but is otherwise not necessary.

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:57 pm

if you dont feel comfortable modding it yourself. i think you can talk to the guys over at http://www.mnpctech.com/ and mabey mail them just the bezel for them to mod it with some modders mesh or somthin. the plastic bezel shouldnt be more than a few bucks to ship.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Only thing I'd be worried about is the warranty aspect... Say for example you cut out the back fan grill, and then the power supply goes bad or something, is Antec still gonna give you an RMA? Some companies are pretty bad about this, and they will do anything they can to weasel their way out of honoring a warranty.

Don't have any experience with an Antec RMA though, their stuff is pretty solid.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:41 pm

try coolcases
pre-modded just add your own foam and psu
cost is a little high though compared to modding it yourself

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: ...what he said

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:40 pm

Mr_Smartepants wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
And I'd have to disagree with Ralf on the rightside panel.
This picture clearly shows the acousticase with a removable rightside panel
That's why I said "reportedly". I had some people who claimed to have seen the actual Acousticases tell me that. I didn't believe them then, and I still don't, but they claimed to have actually seen them, so you can't argue with that, right?

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:50 pm

The acousticase c6607 is as I pictured above, it's based on the compucase lx-6a19.
The acousticase c6606 is based on a different platform (maybe Chenbro?)and rightside panel is removable (at least from the pictures).

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:40 am

well ive finished installing the acousticase and its made a big differrence. (the right panel IS removable!)

even with the new nexus fan running at full speed its quiet now (gonan buy a fna controller tommorow and put the speed down.

can somebody advuise whats best to do to the front and rear fan grills?

i have modded the nexus fan to aloow direct placement of rubber grommets.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:48 pm

hugekebab wrote:can somebody advuise whats best to do to the front and rear fan grills?
Well what you should have done is remove the fan grills BEFORE you installed all of your components. Now you have to remove everything to cut out the grills so you don't get metal clippings all over your electronics.
Do a search for 'wiss tin snips' or just warm up your dremel tool.

hugekebab

Post by hugekebab » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:50 am

argh lol.

hmmm think what ill do is seal some thick plastic around the inside of the fan grill and then cut it out, no way am i removing all tht stuff again!!!!

btw really pleased with this case, it has cut out so much noise, and thats with a 120mill fan going full blast at the back with no fan controller slowing it down.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:35 am

Actually, if you just take some heavy duty wire cutters you should be able to cut the grill out by cutting the grill tabs where it attaches to the main metal part (hard to describe in words). You'll be left with really jagged edges which you can either bend over with pliers or cover with c-strip moulding. That way you don't have to remove any components or cover anything up.

That's what I did with my sonata before I cleaned up the edges with my dremel tool (3-weeks later).