Antec SLK3000B -- which are the motherboard standoff screws?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rtsai

Antec SLK3000B -- which are the motherboard standoff screws?

Post by rtsai » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:50 pm

The SLK3700BQE manual (what Antec supports points you to if you request an SLK3000B manual) says to insert the "Phillips-head" screws into the brass standoffs.

Unfortunately for me, there are two or three different kinds of Phillips-head screws that come with the case, and I think all of them kind of fit the standoffs.

(1) Screws with round semi-spherical heads, (2) screws with a flat head, and (3) screws with a semi-flat head and a semi-regular cross-mark (the kind that accepts either Phillips or regular screwdriver). There is also (4) PCI slot screws, but I recognize those as such.

There are many of each type of screw (more of each type of screw than there are standoffs), so I can't deduce them by counting.

Which screws should I use?

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:24 am

I had no idea what screws went where so just put in whatever seemed to fit best. I think I used the flat ones with the bigger flange and serration on the underside for the motherboard.

macman

Re: Antec SLK3000B -- which are the motherboard standoff scr

Post by macman » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:52 am

rtsai wrote:The SLK3700BQE manual (what Antec supports points you to if you request an SLK3000B manual) says to insert the "Phillips-head" screws into the brass standoffs.

(1) Screws with round semi-spherical heads, (2) screws with a flat head, and (3) screws with a semi-flat head and a semi-regular cross-mark (the kind that accepts either Phillips or regular screwdriver). There is also (4) PCI slot screws, but I recognize those as such.
I used (3)

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:07 am

There should be two types. Ones with fine metric threads, and ones with coarse standard threads. The ones with the fine metric threads are for floppy drives and cd/dvd drives. The coarse ones are for everything else.

YMMV

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:45 am

I don't have a 3000B, but....

As Mr_Smartepants says normally there are screws with two sizes thread. Coarse and fine. I just checked the standoffs that came with three different cases, all of them use the screws with the fine thread. Which head the screw has is totally unimportant.

as530
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by as530 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:46 am

i too found this very confusing. i just ended up using the ones which seemed to fit best - can't remember which unfortunately. ANTEC - better labelling please!

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:43 am

Coarse PC screws are #6-32. Fine are M3. An M3 will (kind of) fit into a 6-32 standoff. A 6-32 screw will NOT fit into an M3 standoff. When in doubt, the hole must therefore be 6-32.

Advice given by others above is usually correct, but some cases use a potentially confusing standoff which has a male 6-32 to fit into the tray and has female M3 threads for the mobo's mounting screw. Ugly!