AcoustiPack™, will it make any difference??

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

filete

AcoustiPack™, will it make any difference??

Post by filete » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:11 am

Hello there,

Just got a Antec Sonata to build a DAW system,
for a professional recording studio.
I want to build as quiet as possible, and after some search I found the
"AcoustiPack™ Pre-cut Kit for the Antec Sonata", from Acousti:
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acous ... APAntecSon

I wonder if using this will make any difference, of course I´ve read the review here, and they say its great.
But i prefer to have the opinion of real users.
And I really need to make a decision, what happens is that since I need to
order abroad, If I decide to buy this, the price will be almost like a new Antec case!
:(

So, i wonder if its worth spending that money?

:?:

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:01 am

Yes.
I have just installed the deluxe v2 in the case I'm setting up for my new build, and it makes a considerable difference - especially in damping high-pitch noise such as harddrive whine.
It's very well built and the weight of the stuff speaks for itself.

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: AcoustiPack™, will it make any difference??

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:09 am

filete wrote:So, i wonder if its worth spending that money?
Questions like this are impossible to answer well. It is YOUR money and YOUR assessment of value. No one else can decide for you unless you spell out all of the various things you juggle in your mind as you ponder the "value" of what you buy (or do, etc...)

Better questions:

How much difference does it make acoustically?
-- Some. maybe up to 5-6 dBA/1m AT BEST. Typically, it is less, probably only 3 dBA or so. That's just a guess from memory. If that brings the overall PC noise to below your ambient level, then it can be subjectively very dramatic, because it will move from being audible to being inaudible (practically speaking).

How much does it help quiet noisy components?
-- For acoustic noise, a fair amount if the components are inside the case and there are few (no?) direct paths to the outside. Fans mounted on the back/front panels -- can't do anything to that noise, because it's practically ion the outside anyway. It also does nothing to stop conduction of vibration through the case, which will end up as noise. Especially from HDDs that are not very softly mounted.

What this means is that you can't rely on acoustic damping to make noisy components quiet. You have to make the system pretty quiet to begin with, then the AP stuff can help lower the overall noise that one step further -- which may or may not be worth the $ and effort to you. Just depends...

Your bigger problem is the Sonata. If you want a really quiet system, that is NOT the best place to start. It is a mediocre case in stock form for many reasons cited all over these forums and in the review itself. You will have to swap the PSu for sure, and improve the airflow through the front bezel, and find a way to suspend the drive.

Then you can talk about damping materials. Before all that, damping aint gonna do diddly squat. :lol:

Have a read of Jordan's experience with damping his HTPC case: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article215-page1.html It's not the same damping material, but the basic pehnomenon observed there holds true for all thin sheetmetal skin PC cases.

You would have been much better off with an Antec 3000B, Evercase 4252 or some of the other highly recommended cases.

filete

Re: AcoustiPack™, will it make any difference??

Post by filete » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:56 am

Your bigger problem is the Sonata. If you want a really quiet system, that is NOT the best place to start. It is a mediocre case in stock form for many reasons cited all over these forums and in the review itself. You will have to swap the PSu for sure, and improve the airflow through the front bezel, and find a way to suspend the drive.
I´m sorry, but I don´t agree with you.
I´ve been building PC system for quite some years now, and
Sonata is one of the best quiet cases I ever seen, and the new TruePower 380w with just 1 fan, is almost silence!
I don´t know the other models you mention, but this one is quite amazing!

If you read those reviews out there, and what users at newegg have
to say about it, I think it pretty much shows that most of people
are happy with Sonata:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 127&depa=0

And I don´t work for Antec!
:D
But I really appreciate your help on this acoustic approach!
:wink:

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:16 am

filete --

If the Sonata is one of the best quiet cases you've seen, you haven seen enough cases. Really.

I created this site and have been working on siilent computing exclusively for 4 years. I've been involved with acoustics for over 30 years, and reviewed, analyzed, measured and taken apart dozens of cases. I did the Sonata review here at SPCR, as well as the AP damping kit with the Sonata, one with and one without.

Now if you prefer to put your trust in the opinions of anonymous "reviewers" with unknown qualifications or motivations, by all means. You posted a question; I gave you a genuine, informed reply based on only on "book" knowledge but extensive hands on / ears on knowledge. What you choose to do with it is entirely up to you. :roll:

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:18 am

I hate to say it (actually, I don't), but the definitions established here for quiet computing are much more strict than those of the random people posting at newegg. If you find the stock PS in an Antec Sonata case to be sufficently quiet, than just using some quieter components would likely create a quiet enough environment. But I have to wonder if you have put a system with a stock sonata PS into an appropriatly quiet enviroment (like that required for a recording studio)? I promise you, it's FAR from "silent".

filete

Post by filete » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:36 am

I did the Sonata review here at SPCR, as well as the AP damping kit with the Sonata, one with and one without!
Yes, i´ve read your review, and my idea was that you liked the Sonata!
:D
Anyway, I think we are going far from what was the purpose of this post,
that is if AcousticPack will help to make Sonata more silence!
But I have to wonder if you have put a system with a stock sonata PS into an appropriatly quiet enviroment
(like that required for a recording studio)? I promise you, it's FAR from "silent".
Thats why I want to damp her more!
:twisted:

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:58 am

Putting damping materiel in a case will have little impact on the noise coming from the PSU and going out the back of the case...there's no damping materiel in the way.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:37 pm

Trust me filete, by the standards of most SPCR members the Antec Truepower is far from silent.
Some favourites here are:
- Nexus NX3500
- Nexus NX4090
- Seasonic Super Tornado series
- Seasonic Super Silencer series
- Seasonic S12

There are also various entirely passive options available (ie. no fan at all) although the reliability of some of these is proving to be questionable for higher end systems.
You can find further information on all of these both in the reviews section and in the PSU forum.

Take Mike's advice very seriously - he knows what he's talking about. A quick read of any of the recent reviews will show you exactly how far he is willing to go in terms of accuracy and fancy equipment to bring us reliable measurements :)